Prophet 10 tuning issue

Prophet 10 tuning issue
« on: July 29, 2021, 01:18:51 PM »
Hello. Is anyone having tuning issues with their prophet 10? It takes me at least an hour each day to get the synth in tune so that it will stay there. I have to hit the autotune several times. Sometimes it tunes it, sometimes it makes it worse. But after about an hour of doing this, it seems to hold. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.  Jim

Re: Prophet 10 tuning issue
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 02:27:04 PM »
Hello. Is anyone having tuning issues with their prophet 10? It takes me at least an hour each day to get the synth in tune so that it will stay there. I have to hit the autotune several times. Sometimes it tunes it, sometimes it makes it worse. But after about an hour of doing this, it seems to hold. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.  Jim

I guess you mean "TUNE" and not "Autotune"   ::)
I read somewhere here in the forum about someone else having tuning issues and he contacted
support and got the answer : "Clear the calibration tables" , and he had no problems after that .......

This is from the top post of this forum : "Newest Prophet 5/10 OS 1.5.2"  :

**INSTALLATION NOTE: It is recommended to reset globals and clear calibration after loading the Main 1.5.0 OS update. You will need to re-tune the synthesizer from scratch following the update.

RESET GLOBALS : hold RECORD and press GLOBALS
CLEAR CALIBRATION: hold RECORD and press TUNE

Hope that helps .......

Cheers !
1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 02:54:38 PM »

I read somewhere here in the forum about someone else having tuning issues and he contacted
support and got the answer : "Clear the calibration tables" , and he had no problems after that .......

**INSTALLATION NOTE: It is recommended to reset globals and clear calibration after loading the Main 1.5.0 OS update. You will need to re-tune the synthesizer from scratch following the update.

Hope that helps .......

Cheers !

I'm not sure if it was me you're thinking of, but I did have tuning issues... including Autotune freezing up. This happened maybe three times, during a particularly long stretch of heatwave, with the air conditioning in my music room on and off often. In other words, temps in my room were pretty much all over the place.

I have had one further freeze during tuning, and this was after my calibration tables had been cleared. (I've reported this latest freeze to Support, who mentioned not to clear the calibration tables too often.

Anyway, long story short, my P5 is more stable in general than it was for a while. It's more temp sensitive than my Prophet 6 or Prologue, requiring more frequent hits of the Tune button, but it's settling into a better groove. I should add - the tuning drift itself has never been cause for concern. It just gets blurry like a fancy analog synth is meant to! If the OP is having issues bad enough to render the synth un-playable, I'd suggest dropping a note to Support.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 04:17:41 AM »
Yes, you´re the one ....   I did not know you had tuning issues after calibrating   :o
Well , at least we now know that  the Prophets behave like the old vintage ones
when getting out of tune by simply open the door to the rehearsal room   :P   Good or bad ?

And it´s not "Autotune" ...  It´s "Tune"  :)
Autotune is a program that helps "artists" that can not sing , and probably should not  .... :P

Cheers !
1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 07:36:34 AM »
Yes, you´re the one ....   I did not know you had tuning issues after calibrating   :o
when getting out of tune by simply open the door to the rehearsal room   :P   Good or bad ?

Autotune is a program that helps "artists" that can not sing , and probably should not  .... :P

Cheers !

Not trying to be pedantic or anything, but its interesting to note that historically, the Tune feature on the Prophet (and unless I'm mistaken, even in the product manuals for some DSI projects) referred to it as autotune.
But yeah, like they say, T-Pain ruined many things musical, including industry vernacular :)
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 09:44:35 AM »

Hope that helps .......

Cheers !
[/quote  Thank you for that information :)

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 12:43:35 PM »

Cheers !

Not trying to be pedantic or anything, but its interesting to note that historically, the Tune feature on the Prophet (and unless I'm mistaken, even in the product manuals for some DSI projects) referred to it as autotune.
But yeah, like they say, T-Pain ruined many things musical, including industry vernacular :)

Maybe so, but in the original manuals ( I have 2 versions : a light brown one and the more
"common" black one for Prophet Rev.2 ) , the tuning process is referred to as "Retuning" .....   :)
BTW, the button on the front panel says : TUNE
Other DSI products manuals I have no knowledge about .....   :o

Cheers !   ;)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 12:49:59 PM by HockeBocke »

LPF83

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 03:41:02 PM »

Cheers !

Maybe so, but in the original manuals ( I have 2 versions : a light brown one and the more
"common" black one for Prophet Rev.2 ) , the tuning process is referred to as "Retuning" .....   :)
BTW, the button on the front panel says : TUNE
Other DSI products manuals I have no knowledge about .....   :o

Cheers !   ;)

All in fun and for the sake of historical synth trivia, I found at least one occurrance in the Mopho x4 manual (pg 65):
"Calibration Routine—Mopho x4’s calibration routine should not be confused
with the autotune function on vintage polysynths with VCOs." 
https://www.sequential.com/downloads/mophox4/doc/Mopho_x4_Operation_Manual_v.1.0.pdf
I'm pretty sure I've heard Dave use that term in interviews a few times, too.

I think that harkened back to a time when people were amazed that a synth could tune itself with the press of a button, as opposed to manual tuning.  Self-tuning, to differentiate automatic tuning as opposed to manual control, is probably a better term these days, given the damage by Cher, T-Pain and general gratuitous use of voice fx! :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 03:43:00 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 03:51:27 PM »
Maybe Dave said "out of tune" .....    :o

Cheers

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2021, 01:41:25 AM »

:) True. But it works for mono synths if not not tracking very well.

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2021, 04:04:13 AM »

Yes, for example old vintage out of tune Mini MOOG´s  ;)

I have used Autotune on a few tracks with trombone and fretless bass ....
Works great !  ( with very mild settings )    :)

Cheers !

Dan Chat

• Live and let live
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2021, 04:40:06 PM »
 :) :)

Yes, for example old vintage out of tune Mini MOOG´s  ;)

I have used Autotune on a few tracks with trombone and fretless bass ....
Works great !  ( with very mild settings )    :)

Cheers !
Dan Chatterton