How Moogy or Obi does it get?

jc

How Moogy or Obi does it get?
« on: July 28, 2021, 09:50:59 AM »
Hey with the Moogish and Obi type filters can I nail that stuff pretty closely with the Pro 3? I'm looking to scale down a bit and sell some stuff off. The Pro 3 could be the ticket. Thanks

Re: How Moogy or Obi does it get?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 10:34:20 AM »
I love the classic 70s Moog sound, I had in the past a Slim and a Little Phatty, then a Voyager OS. I have sold them all again for various reasons, but then later I have not been convinced with the various Moog Sub devices soundtechnically, they sound too harsh. Grandmother and Matriarch sound again like the Voyager, but have no memory and I do not like to lay cables ;)

I was now even again looking for a used Little Phatty or Voyager, but then (via detours) came across the PRO 3. I think my search is now over! The two analog oscillators sound very moogish (not only with the ladder filter) plus there’s the overall package with a top keybed with aftertouch, effects, memory + wavetable osc.
With this I can cover a wide range from classic (warm and creamy) lead sounds to wacky effects and modern digital and "evil" sounds.

It is of course always very subjective, but the PRO 3 can cover the range of Moog sounds well, even if the Minimoog is ultimately unattainable. But I can live well with this compromise.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 11:53:33 AM »
Yeah, you'll get a lot of highly subjective answers.   

To me, the filters on the Pro 3 are a Holy Trinity... the perfect mix of options.  All sound really great, and make the Pro 3 a real tone chameleon capable of pulling off the majority of sounds from the past 50+ yrs of monosynths, plus so much more.

The Ladder does have two modes (Resonance Compensation On/Off), so that gives you a couple variants... More classic in off mode, more modern low end punch with it on.  One objective difference in the Ladder architecture, when compared to Sub 37 - the filter drive circuit on P3 can't go quite as hard as the latest Sub37 is capable of.   When using multiple oscillators, it's really a non issue, because you wouldn't want it to drive that hard very often... the multiple oscillators mixed at max already pushes the filter.   But for some single oscillator sound designs (ie: single triangle/saw/pulse), where you want to really saturate/overdrive a single osc into the filter, it doesn't go quite as far as Moog's Multidrive in the latest Sub 37.   Honestly though, this is a very small difference, and its worth noting the Pro 3 has so many other ways to achieve overdrive/distortion/feedback... overall, I'd say there's no other synth on the market that has so many ways to gain stage / overdrive the signal, if you're looking for that... it can go from clean to nasty with a twist of Ext In, Distortion, or Tuned Feedback knobs.. each with it's own character... and the Filter Drive provides a more subtle saturation.  Plus in the effects section you can add ring mod, or another type of overdrive with the Leslie amp simulation. 

Highly recommend Pro 3... most versatile analog mono synth ever created.

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

chysn

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 01:53:04 PM »
So, I've had a few Moogs in my time. Realistic MG-1, which was super-vintage. I had a Little Phatty, which I really liked, but it was hard to record. It was all mid-range. I also had a Minitaur. The Minitaur is probably the best synth that Moog has ever made. I don't think that's as much of a bold-ass statement as it seems, especially for people who've had Minitaurs. Oh, yeah, and who can forget the Mother-32? I almost did. So, I've had four Moogs.

And, yeah, the Pro 3 can do all that ladder filter stuff, no problem. It might fall slightly short of the Minitaur in doing what the Minitaur does. But the Pro 3's versatility in everything else makes that a non-argument. It's got more high-end sparkle than the Phatty (which is important across the range), a better sequencer than the Mother-32.

To get the Pro 3's at its Moogiest, I think you need to turn off the Resonance Compensation, which is on in the Basic Program for some reason.

I can't think of a single monosynth I'd rather have than the Pro 3. Okay, well, maybe a Music Easel, but that's an entirely other world.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 03:17:18 PM »
87% Oberheimy
78% Moogy

I know. I’ve measured.  :D

For me, it does the Oberrheim tone really well—grabbing the harmonics while still staying thick, staying very musical in BP
and HP modes, etc.

It may be psychological but there’s something that the Pro-3 doesn’t quite nail about the Moog sound. Maybe it’s the envelopes and not the filter? That said, there are many Moog sounds as others have mentioned, so it also depends on which Moog you’re comparing it to.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 07:47:36 PM »
True that. In many ways, I was wanting the Pro3 to get into the MultiMoog territory, ala Steve Winwood, and I think it does that admirably. Winwood's music was a big influence on me growing up and even now.

Moho

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 01:54:18 AM »
The ladder filter to me sounds less Moogish and more Odyssey Mk2, sweet but not syrupy

jc

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 10:00:10 AM »
Thanks for the input guys!

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2021, 11:07:57 PM »
I actually think it can do all of that, Moogy, Obie, etc. but not necessarily on the filter you expect. As some have mentioned, this thing can be a sonic chameleon and very versatile, while still retaining that classic analog VCO sound, with the addition of a digital osc with wavetables!

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 08:13:42 AM »
The ladder filter to me sounds less Moogish and more Odyssey Mk2, sweet but not syrupy

Totally!  Much easier to nail an ARP Odyssey patch with the Pro 3 ladder filter than a Moog patch. 

Also the envelopes open up way more on the Pro 3 than on a Moog.  A Pro 3 envelope amt of 80 (out of 127) is basically equal to maximum envelope amount from a Moog as far as I can tell.