Prophet 6 or Rev2

Prophet 6 or Rev2
« on: July 28, 2021, 01:21:59 AM »
Im looking to get my first analog (poly) synth and I've pretty much decided to go with either Prophet 6 (~€2500) or Rev2-16 voice (~€2000). Anyone here have any experience with them? Im leaning more towards Rev2 as it's less expensive, has up to 16 voice, allegedly a better keybed and more modulation options. From my understanding the Rev2 is mostly DCO and P6 VCO (?). Is that the only reason there's this price difference between the two? And is it worth it? Looks like there's a lot more possibilities to create a wider variety of sounds with the Rev2.

Is the 6 voice synth going to be a bad choice if im planing on experimenting with chords a lot? Or is VCO synth the one to get when it comes to analog?

They both seem to have the potential to make the sounds im after, I just cant decide which one is a better over-all investment at the end of the day. This is all a bit confusing as im new to hardware instruments. And unfortunately i cant test them out anywhere near so im essentially gonna have to order them based on the info i get online. Some advice on this would be much appreciated.

jok3r

Re: Prophet 6 or Rev2
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 02:18:39 AM »
Im looking to get my first analog (poly) synth and I've pretty much decided to go with either Prophet 6 (~€2500) or Rev2-16 voice (~€2000). Anyone here have any experience with them? Im leaning more towards Rev2 as it's less expensive, has up to 16 voice, allegedly a better keybed and more modulation options. From my understanding the Rev2 is mostly DCO and P6 VCO (?). Is that the only reason there's this price difference between the two? And is it worth it? Looks like there's a lot more possibilities to create a wider variety of sounds with the Rev2.

Is the 6 voice synth going to be a bad choice if im planing on experimenting with chords a lot? Or is VCO synth the one to get when it comes to analog?

They both seem to have the potential to make the sounds im after, I just cant decide which one is a better over-all investment at the end of the day. This is all a bit confusing as im new to hardware instruments. And unfortunately i cant test them out anywhere near so im essentially gonna have to order them based on the info i get online. Some advice on this would be much appreciated.

I had to make the same decision some years ago and chose the Rev2. I'm still pretty satisfied with this choice.

I think it does not depend on sound only, but on what you want to do with it, too. I'm playing live (piano-like with my hands) a lot and often play big chords with 6 or more notes (and even with less... you get into voice stealing pretty fast with only 6 voices) and the 16 voices are a dream for that. And I'm not even talking about the split/layer function where you have 8 voices left per layer so you can play chords with one hand and a big unison lead with the other. I also like the 5-ocatve keybed better for its size, but not because of quality as your post suggests. The keybed quality feels the same everytime I played a P6 and Rev2 side by side in a store. I even think its the same Fatar model.

Another point for the Rev2 are the modulation options for more complex sounds. The P6 is pretty basic in this regard.

But when it comes to sound only I would choose the P6 in a heart beat. I like the basic tone of oscillators and filter better on the P6. If you don't want to do complex modulation stuff and don't want to play big chords perhaps the P6 is for you. You can add more molulation options per MIDI (from DAW or Low Frequency Expander) and if you're mainly doing studio work, where you can multitrack as much as you like, the voice count also isn't a problem. The effects section on the P6 is better, too, because you can use two effects on the same sound, whereas the Rev2 can only use one effect per layer. You can overcome this on the Rev2 by using both layers with the same sound and different effects, but you have to sacrifice 8 voices for that.

So all in all: Live music --> Rev2, Studio --> P6
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Re: Prophet 6 or Rev2
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 04:59:10 AM »
I have the REV2 and like it, but if 6 voices and 4 octaves keyboard can be okay for you, then I would advice the 6. Better sound.