Travel Rig

Travel Rig
« on: July 26, 2021, 05:17:00 PM »
I'm thinking of a "travel rig" where the goal is maximum capability in minimum space. Would an OB-6 and Rev2 16-voice desktop module be a solid pair for that use case?

(The Sweetwater rep I talked to said the Rev2 would be a sonic drop in quality from the OB-6/Prophet-6.)

I've heard the Rev2 has a brighter/"brassier" tone than the OB-6/Prophet-6. Is that because of the "LPF Half" issue?

One example is https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/99ea4j/did_i_buy_the_wrong_prophet/

What I mean to say is that, in general, the Rev 2 has a more aggressive, buzzier, modern sound than say a Prophet 5 or a Prophet 6, which is what I think I should have gotten. To me the filters on the Rev 2, while possessing their own unique sound, lack the subtlety of the Prophet 6 and it is much harder to dial in a nice soft and warm pad sound on the Rev 2 before entering buzzsaw territory.

Would the aggressive sound be an inherent characteristic of the Rev2?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 05:18:33 PM by dcarmich »

LPF83

Re: Travel Rig
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 05:05:42 AM »
I'm thinking of a "travel rig" where the goal is maximum capability in minimum space. Would an OB-6 and Rev2 16-voice desktop module be a solid pair for that use case?

(The Sweetwater rep I talked to said the Rev2 would be a sonic drop in quality from the OB-6/Prophet-6.)

I've heard the Rev2 has a brighter/"brassier" tone than the OB-6/Prophet-6. Is that because of the "LPF Half" issue?

One example is https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/99ea4j/did_i_buy_the_wrong_prophet/

What I mean to say is that, in general, the Rev 2 has a more aggressive, buzzier, modern sound than say a Prophet 5 or a Prophet 6, which is what I think I should have gotten. To me the filters on the Rev 2, while possessing their own unique sound, lack the subtlety of the Prophet 6 and it is much harder to dial in a nice soft and warm pad sound on the Rev 2 before entering buzzsaw territory.

Would the aggressive sound be an inherent characteristic of the Rev2?

To me the Prophet 6 or OB-6 sounds more "aggressive"...  The Curtis filters on the Rev2 have specific tuning properties that tend to create sounds that sit better in the mix.  There is a post somewhere on the GS forums where Pym explains the specific properties in detail.  I think all three synths mentioned excel at pads, generally speaking.  For overall / general use, and if you can only have one synth, then I'd agree with the Sweetwater rep that the P6 is generally going to sound better for most sounds.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC