Digging into the filter

Digging into the filter
« on: July 24, 2021, 01:55:45 AM »
Hi all,
I am new to synthesis and still experimenting and learning the basics. What I've come to realise is the filter has such a critical role to play in the sound, and at least in the PX we have access to two of them.
As I understand it, each voice in the PX has its own filter, however they all share exactly the same filter settings for the left or right group.
If this was a modular system, then it would be possible to have slightly different cutoff, resonance or even type of filter for each voice.
Maybe someone who has a modular system can comment on if this is a sonically desirable thing or actually insignificant and hence why it's not available as a feature in the PX.
Prophet X, Korg Modwave, Wavestate, Novation Summit, Microfreak, B2600, Akai Force, Skulpt, Uno Pro, Ableton Live and some modular

Re: Digging into the filter
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 02:57:55 AM »
The left and right cutoff frequencies can be controlled independently, but since it usually makes sonic sense for them to move together that's what the front panel control does.  If you dig a little deeper, though, you'll find there's a "Stereo Split" parameter that lets you decide whether the left or right filter is open more, and there are Filter Cutoff L/R modulation destinations that allow the two values to be addressed on their own in addition to the combined Filter Cutoff value.

I'm not aware of any way to adjust drive or resonance separately, but then I haven't found a compelling need to do so, either.  Modular systems will always offer more flexibility at the cost of both convenience and a potential for the sort of creative paralysis that comes from having too many options.

Re: Digging into the filter
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 04:59:52 AM »
Excellent points as usual, I'll explore these options more.
Prophet X, Korg Modwave, Wavestate, Novation Summit, Microfreak, B2600, Akai Force, Skulpt, Uno Pro, Ableton Live and some modular