Nice metal replacement knobs for Pro 3 SE

Nice metal replacement knobs for Pro 3 SE
« on: July 23, 2021, 07:37:33 PM »
I absolutely love my Pro 3 SE, but to me the gray plastic knobs don't do it justice - I feel like nice aluminum knobs would be much more fitting for a Cadillac synth like this. So, I ordered a handful of possibilities on Amazon; black anodized for all the smaller pots, and a gorgeous large milled aluminum one for the filter knob. So far just replacing that one makes a huge difference - anxious to get the rest!

I'm really using the synth a lot as a controller for lots of soft synths, so aside from the aesthetics, it really makes it feel like a top notch piece of hardware. I'll post parts when they all come in...
Jim Daneker
Composer/Producer, Nashville TN
www.jimdaneker.com

JayT

Re: Nice metal replacement knobs for Pro 3 SE
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 04:25:22 AM »
Looks amazing. The cutoff reminds me of a volume knob on an old hifi amplifier. :)

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 02:06:17 PM »
Looks amazing. The cutoff reminds me of a volume knob on an old hifi amplifier. :)

For sure! It feels superb too. Takes the whole thing up a notch IMO!
Jim Daneker
www.jimdaneker.com

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 09:13:13 PM »
Can we get a link?
Look gorgeous!

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 09:22:10 PM »
That there looks like $30 knob!

Be sure to post pics of the others with links!

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 09:51:10 AM »
Hey Guys,

I ended up using silver knobs for the filter section (pack of 4 for $17.55) and the "EXT AUDIO" pot since I use these for controlling most of my soft synths; I wanted those to draw my eye a bit more as I use them a ton. These are a bit wider than the stock knobs (17mm vs 13). The filter cutoff knob is obviously the big focal point, and I love the knob I found for that one ($11.79).

And finally, for all the other pots, I found some nice black anodized aluminum ones that come in packs of 13, so I ordered 3 packs of those ($18.99 each). I'm not replacing the endless encoder knobs as it's tough to find knobs that would work for those. I've only replaced the 10 envelope knobs so far, plus the 2 Tuned Feedback knobs - not sure if I'll do all the others yet.

So, the total bill was $86, and that's if I wanted to replace all the pot knobs. If I stick with just the envelope, tuned feedback, and silver filter knobs, it would only be $48 or so. Here are the links:

Large filter cutoff knob: https://amzn.to/3j31IiG
4-pack of 17mm wide silver knobs: https://amzn.to/2VnKXX8
13-pack of black knobs: https://amzn.to/3fh2SpT

I love the look of it, and it definitely feels much higher quality to me than rubber-coated knobs. The black knobs don't photograph well, but they look great in person!

Cheers!
Jim Daneker
www.jimdaneker.com

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 11:00:32 AM »
Wow. Looks great! Thank you!
What did you use to take the knobs off? I know the Filter Knobs isnt too hard but some of the other ones seem pretty stiff.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 11:02:53 AM by Bradyc33 »

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 07:52:28 PM »
Looks good!
Nice shots too

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 07:42:21 AM »
Wow. Looks great! Thank you!
What did you use to take the knobs off? I know the Filter Knobs isnt too hard but some of the other ones seem pretty stiff.

Nothing - just gentle but firm force to lift them off.
Jim Daneker
www.jimdaneker.com

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 07:54:59 AM »
Much better.  And these knobs would presumably work on a Take 5?

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2023, 02:18:15 PM »
This is brilliant.
My thumbs were getting "raw" from the viscous / stiff rubber knobs compared to how easily I can play the Moog. I tried Moog knobs on it (the indicator is reversed) and it's noticeably easier to turn the pots. It's genuinely harder to tweak the Pro 3 live... so I'm changing everything to larger diameter knobs and even trying some reds (probably for envelope).

Can't wait. Thank you again.