What to look for

What to look for
« on: July 19, 2021, 11:29:04 AM »
When buying a new prophet what should I look for/beware of -- wobbly knobs, what else? 

Would you avoid buying used?  I can see that an advantage of buying new is that I can take it back if something isn't quite right.  Can't do that buying used of course.  But Lord My Honda cost less than a new prophet.  Ouch it's going to hurt my wallet.

Pros and cons of module vs keys? 

Thanks all.  Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 11:33:13 AM by Prophetwanter »

Re: What to look for
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 11:50:14 AM »
When buying a new prophet what should I look for/beware of -- wobbly knobs, what else? 

Would you avoid buying new?  I can see that an advantage of buying new is that I can take it back if something isn't quite right.  Can't do that buying used of course.  But Lord My Honda cost less than a new prophet.  Ouch it's going to hurt my wallet.

Thanks all.  Cheers.

I don't think there's been any known issue with wobbly knobs on the P5/10. The P6 and OB6 is where the wobble can be found. I bought my P5 new and would certainly suggest the same to anyone interested. Such well built machines and Sequential support is always on the ball. During the recent heatwave in California, I had an issue with the synth getting stuck during tuning a couple times. At the suggestion of Seq support, I cleared the internal temperature tables and the issue went away. I suspect with so much fluctuation in temperature, the temp tables were filling up - that's my layman's guess, mind. I can't think of any other issue I've had with this synth in the 7 months I've had it.

I'm always a keys>module guy, and in the case of the Prophet 5, there'd never be a question of this. It's the most beautiful synth in the world to me. If there's an issue for you of space or cost, then of course a module has an advantage, but there's no difference in sound or overall function.

When I was a wee teen, dreaming of an original Prophet 5, they ran something like $4500 US. I know that the cost of a new rev 4 P5 is still a LOT of money, but for many people, myself certainly, it's the centerpiece of my musical world. I sold an old Ringo-autographed telegram I'd inherited, used that money to buy a Prophet 6. Soon as the rev 4 was announced, my P6 went up for sale and that money went towards a new P5. No hesitation! If you have a strong feeling this synth is for you, then it probably is. Save for it, buy new and enjoy it. "You can always sell it," as somebody is always willing to add...

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 10:20:24 AM »
Thanks.  I'm eying a used one.  Going to play it first, of course.  hoping that if I register it I can still get some degree of support, though no warranty I assume.

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 10:43:21 AM »
Thanks.  I'm eying a used one.  Going to play it first, of course.  hoping that if I register it I can still get some degree of support, though no warranty I assume.

Sequential still offers a certain degree of support for older, out-of-warrantee gear, if I'm not mistaken. And a used rev 4 P5 at this point isn't going to have seen too much action, one would assume! I bet it's not been out touring, at very least, so I bet you'll end up with something in fine condition.

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 04:31:53 PM »

Would you avoid buying used?  I can see that an advantage of buying new is that I can take it back if something isn't quite right.  Can't do that buying used of course.  But Lord My Honda cost less than a new prophet.  Ouch it's going to hurt my wallet.

Thanks all.  Cheers.

If you buy new, it's almost certainly well out of the "filtergate" range of serial numbers.  If used and its within the range (serial numbers 1 to 195 on Prophet 5 keyboards, and 1 to 159 on Prophet 10 keyboards), find out if its had the fix done to it yet.  If within that range you can fix it yourself if handy or Sequential will fix it for you but you'd want to know what you're getting into before buying. 

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,4747.0.html

To my knowledge there haven't been any show stopping defects reported aside from the filtergate thing.  Some people who got early units were not thrilled with the wood variations but they either got over it or got new units, because I'm not hearing much complaints about it.

The synth is so good that I would be a little cautious of used ones being sold so soon.  I haven't heard of a single person dissapointed with the sound, and most folks that have them indicate its their favorite synth in their studio, so chances are in the face of financial difficulties it would be the last item to go for most lovers of analog polys.  If nothing else I would ask Sequential if the warranty would be transferable or not.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 07:51:30 AM »
Thanks for the kind and informative replies.  I'm kind of "going with my gut" on this but now I'll be a little more informed in doing so.

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 01:54:05 PM »
Sooo tempted.  I didn't buy it.  Not sure why.  I trust the guy, and he was willing to come down off his asking price.  It was an early one (in the 80s) and he got the fix.  I suspect he wants to get a 10.  It was beautiful.  Brown and black.  Sounded great. 

Just didn't feel right --  part of it is, I might want a module then if I want 88 keys I can have them with my midi controller.  But those big chunky knobs were nice, nice feeling keybed.  I'm having non-buyers remorse  ;D

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 03:04:27 PM »
Sooo tempted.  I didn't buy it.  Not sure why.  I trust the guy, and he was willing to come down off his asking price.  It was an early one (in the 80s) and he got the fix.  I suspect he wants to get a 10.  It was beautiful.  Brown and black.  Sounded great. 

Just didn't feel right --  part of it is, I might want a module then if I want 88 keys I can have them with my midi controller.  But those big chunky knobs were nice, nice feeling keybed.  I'm having non-buyers remorse  ;D

The Prophet 5 has always been my favorite "instrument." A playable thing. Beautiful in sound, looks and feel. (And even a clunky-key'd rev 3 still has a magnetism.) Sounds like you're on the inevitable road to 5-ism, one way or other!

P.S. It took me two tries to get my new P5. Had one on order from Detroit Modular, with them promising to send me pics of the next batch they got in (so I could pick the wood grain, back when that was our main concern!), but shipments were delayed and I went with one from Robot Speak. I'm happy to have given them my biz, even after building a nice rapport with the DM gang. All this to say, when it's right, it'll happen.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2021, 06:29:39 PM »
I suspect you are right :)

This might be a silly consideration (maybe verging on sacrelige) but do you think the Prophet 5 would work well as a MIDI controller for VST synths?

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 07:27:19 PM »

This might be a silly consideration (maybe verging on sacrelige) but do you think the Prophet 5 would work well as a MIDI controller for VST synths?

I'm not the one to ask! I'm pretty naive about MIDI mapping etc. I do use the P5 as my master keyboard, controlling 5 other synths, but one thing that bugs me is the effort it takes (me, anyway) to knock things up or down an octave. I love the Pianoteq software piano, for example, but I'm wishing for a magic switch, as on the P6, to click between octaves. That said, yeah, the Prophet 5 is still fab as a controller, simply cos the keybed is great. If I didn't bored/frustrated so quickly, I'd finally figure out how to nail all parameters from the P5 to those on the u-he Repro. Because!

LPF83

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2021, 05:23:53 AM »

I'm not the one to ask! I'm pretty naive about MIDI mapping etc. I do use the P5 as my master keyboard, controlling 5 other synths, but one thing that bugs me is the effort it takes (me, anyway) to knock things up or down an octave. I love the Pianoteq software piano, for example, but I'm wishing for a magic switch, as on the P6, to click between octaves. That said, yeah, the Prophet 5 is still fab as a controller, simply cos the keybed is great. If I didn't bored/frustrated so quickly, I'd finally figure out how to nail all parameters from the P5 to those on the u-he Repro. Because!

Lack of octave switch is also the primary drawback to using the P5/10 as a master keyboard that comes to my mind.  It's easy enough to overcome using MIDI modifiers in Cubase or similar in other DAWs, but that's a workflow inconvenience.  Shame, since the keybed and knobs feel so perfect.  On the P10 itself, I find myself just going old-school and tuning the oscillators.  It would be nice if I could get rid of my primary 61 key (Novation) MIDI controller one day, as I could use the space for more interesting things, but for now I've found it its easiest to use that for modules and the keyboard on each synth to control locally.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2021, 09:20:12 AM »
Update:  It's gone, someone else snapped it up.  It was #81 btw.    Too bad but.  TBH I'm a complete noob and I have a Korg Minilogue XD sitting here. Honestly I don't love the Minilogue.  it keeps adding reverb and delay when I don't want it.  It sounds too slick if you know what I mean.  But I'm telling myself it's irresponsible to buy a prophet.  So I made myself play the minilogue today.  Hmph.    >:(

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 10:27:56 AM »
Update:  It's gone, someone else snapped it up.  It was #81 btw.    Too bad but.  TBH I'm a complete noob and I have a Korg Minilogue XD sitting here. Honestly I don't love the Minilogue.  it keeps adding reverb and delay when I don't want it.  It sounds too slick if you know what I mean.  But I'm telling myself it's irresponsible to buy a prophet.  So I made myself play the minilogue today.  Hmph.    >:(

Yeah, the Minilogue and the Prophet 5 are quite different creatures! I do adore my Prologue, but really, if you want a Prophet 5, keep searching. Detroit Modular has an open box P5 for sale. I don't know if it would apply to open box, but DM frequently offers 10% off coupons. Plus, depending on where you live, you might not be charged sales tax.

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2021, 10:48:28 AM »
oh you're a naughty person.  ;D

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2021, 10:54:39 AM »
oh you're a naughty person.  ;D

I'm always happy to promote "local" businesses, and the folks at DM have been great. I rang up once to ask about some synth or other and ended up on the phone for half an hour talking about freaky music with one of the guys there. The human touch is crucial for me regarding my synth purchases.

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2021, 11:06:31 AM »
I grabbed it.  3100 and some change, free shipping.  You should get a comission :)

The guy yesterday was asking 2900, and it had a small scratch on it.  And he was carrying it around in his car trunk without a box or blankets or anything.  I wasn't convinced he had babied it. This feels more right, though my wallet is much emptier.

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2021, 11:26:44 AM »
I grabbed it.  3100 and some change, free shipping.  You should get a comission :)

The guy yesterday was asking 2900, and it had a small scratch on it.  And he was carrying it around in his car trunk without a box or blankets or anything.  I wasn't convinced he had babied it. This feels more right, though my wallet is much emptier.

Great! The Prophet 5, for me and obviously many others, is a dream synth. In an age where there are more options by the day, the P5 seems almost simple. But that's part of its strength. It sounds amazing. It looks beautiful. It can be mysterious or very direct, subtle or epic.

Very glad you had a good experience with DM. It's rare that "car trunk" inspires confidence when it comes to synth purchases!

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2021, 11:56:19 AM »
Yes tbh the Korg while sounding too slick is also a bit too complicated for me.  I want something really simple to learn on that also sounds amazing.  Thanks again for pointing me in the direction of DM.

LPF83

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2021, 02:02:58 PM »
Yes tbh the Korg while sounding too slick is also a bit too complicated for me.  I want something really simple to learn on that also sounds amazing.  Thanks again for pointing me in the direction of DM.

I find the sequencer on the Minilogue XDm to be a real treat.  It's not a sound designers dream or anything, but it is a lot of synth for the asking price.  For me its a "background texture arp" kind of synth, never really the lead or bassline or pad synth, but it has the capability to do those quite well and the FX section is surprisingly good.  Its a great little synth for adding movement within a track.  You mentioned it putting delay and reverb where you don't want it -- its very easy to turn the FX off.  I like mine just because it adds that historically thinner sound that Asian branded synths are known for, it adds something unique to the mix.  I would suggest watching a YT tutorial or two on it -- you may want to sell it at some point, but since you already have it, why not?   It will give you something to do while you wait for the Prophet (which has pretty much zero learning curve!).  Congrats on the purchase BTW

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2021, 06:25:14 PM »
Thank you.  Good ideas.