What to look for

Re: What to look for
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2021, 07:24:06 AM »
Hey Guys do you have any resources for recording hardware synths  -- especially using Logic.  I've tried a couple of times using youtube tutorials but have not had great success. 

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2021, 08:09:26 AM »
Hey Guys do you have any resources for recording hardware synths  -- especially using Logic.  I've tried a couple of times using youtube tutorials but have not had great success.

Maybe you already know of this as a Logic user, but it's a great board in general. Not synth focused, but an easy place to ask specific questions. https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/

Hopefully, you'll find not much difficulty getting the P5 recorded into Logic.

LPF83

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2021, 09:57:44 AM »

You could try Lynda.com...  I don't have an account there anymore, but I see they have some Logic Pro courses, and I confirmed one of the syllabi had sections on connecting external analog synths.   There is a free trial (first month I think) -- you might learn enough to get you going without needing to subscribe long term.

I've only taken a few (non music related) technical courses there, and it was many years ago, but the quality of the instruction (and instructors) was superior to the average Youtube efforts, so I came away with a good impression of the service.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2021, 10:27:47 AM »
I got the synth and it sounds terrific, except -- Osc B tends to be a tiny bit more sharp then Osc A.  Osc A is rock solid in tune and Osc B tends to be maybe a half cent sharper (so it's very slight). That's with fine tuning all the way to the left.  I wish I could give that knob a tiny nudge to the left to make it line up perfectly with Osc. A.  I've done the calibration and toyed with the Main tuning knob.  Is this normal and just part of the charm of analog?  It does sound really gorgeous. 

*Edit.*. I downloaded the new OS.  If I install the new OS and play *without* calibrating tuning, I can get the oscillators to be perfectly in tune.  If I do tuning calibration then Osc B remains just a whisker sharp.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 11:05:11 AM by Prophetwanter »

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2021, 11:41:19 AM »
I got the synth and it sounds terrific, except -- Osc B tends to be a tiny bit more sharp then Osc A.  Osc A is rock solid in tune and Osc B tends to be maybe a half cent sharper (so it's very slight). That's with fine tuning all the way to the left.  I wish I could give that knob a tiny nudge to the left to make it line up perfectly with Osc. A.  I've done the calibration and toyed with the Main tuning knob.  Is this normal and just part of the charm of analog?  It does sound really gorgeous. 

*Edit.*. I downloaded the new OS.  If I install the new OS and play *without* calibrating tuning, I can get the oscillators to be perfectly in tune.  If I do tuning calibration then Osc B remains just a whisker sharp.

Itīs part of the "analog" two OSC per voice charm   ;)
If you want sound with no movement turn off OSC 2 with
wave knobs or turn down OSC 2 volume in Mixer section   :)

Cheers !
1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

LPF83

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2021, 04:00:36 PM »

When you say perfectly in tune, do you mean tuning by ear or are you measuring the + or - cents?   When I check the tuning on mine, straight out of init patch they fluctuate by as much as 4 to 7 cents in either direction, which I think is about right for a warm analog sound without sounding audibly out of tune.  If its out of tune more than that I would probably contact Sequential once you can describe the behavior in cents.  I just use the tuner plug in that comes with Cubase to display the amounts.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC