Buying a Rev2 16 Voice Desktop - anything to look for?

Buying a Rev2 16 Voice Desktop - anything to look for?
« on: July 17, 2021, 01:03:35 PM »
Hi everyone,

I thought I would query the minds of this forum -  I am about to purchase a 2nd hand 16 voice Rev2 desktop module.  I will have probably 10 minutes to play with it before buying, what should I look for to confirm all is operating well?

When I bought my Prophet 6 desktop, an oscillator/Filter calibration gave me an error code to let me know one of the voice cards was bad.  Is there an equivalent operation on the Rev2?

Any other advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated....

LPF83

Re: Buying a Rev2 16 Voice Desktop - anything to look for?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 01:51:59 PM »
Hi everyone,

I thought I would query the minds of this forum -  I am about to purchase a 2nd hand 16 voice Rev2 desktop module.  I will have probably 10 minutes to play with it before buying, what should I look for to confirm all is operating well?

When I bought my Prophet 6 desktop, an oscillator/Filter calibration gave me an error code to let me know one of the voice cards was bad.  Is there an equivalent operation on the Rev2?

I would plug headphones in and at least cycle through the voices (its round robin so you can tap the same key) to be sure its not missing one.  Check knobs to be sure they aren't too wobbly.  Try to find a patch that demonstrates velocity is working as it should (assuming keyboard version).  You could probably find a tuner app for the smart phone just to be sure the A key plays at 440 (tuning is not as much of an issue with DCO synths as your P6 though).  That's about all the ideas that come to mind.  I think buying used and in person is the riskiest way to purchase, because buying on Reverb or eBay at least the seller has a reputation to uphold.  Back in the day I had a few bad purchases from local want ads.  Most of the synths I have now I bought new (only exception was my Slim Phatty which was listed as Excellent condition when it was actually Mint).
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 06:12:52 PM »
Ah...that's good to know about the round-robin note behaviour.  ( I will play a note 16 times)

I'll try to cycle through different knob movements, and try an oscillator calibration.
It has the Sequential logo on the outside, so it's a relatively current model.  Hopefully all the bugs have been ironed out by now! ;)

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 06:25:31 AM »
Ah...that's good to know about the round-robin note behaviour.  ( I will play a note 16 times)

I'll try to cycle through different knob movements, and try an oscillator calibration.
It has the Sequential logo on the outside, so it's a relatively current model.  Hopefully all the bugs have been ironed out by now! ;)

You'll want multi-mode off, no stack or split...  When you hit globals you'll see the voice number in the lower left, you'll see it increment A0-A15.

Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 06:39:16 AM »
Hi everyone,

honestly just steer clear of it, outside of the voice chips and the filter not working, you can have that many bugs like the ringmod effect, layers randomly dropping out, the BPM becoming unstable, the list goes on.

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 12:33:40 PM »

You'll want multi-mode off, no stack or split...  When you hit globals you'll see the voice number in the lower left, you'll see it increment A0-A15.

Thank you, that's very helpful!

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 07:30:27 PM »
One of the knobs on my Rev2 is not as stable as it should be; it rocks a bit back and forth. The same knob on my module doesn’t do this. I have a Tetra that I bought used, and it has knob issues. So I recommend touching/turning each knob.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 05:13:31 AM »
Thank you- I bought the module, and all seems well!  :)