Feature Request: Usable Default FX Settings on Init Patch

Feature Request: Usable Default FX Settings on Init Patch
« on: July 15, 2021, 10:56:27 AM »
Just wanted to bounce this off the friendly people of the forum....

A lot of what makes the P6 easy and enjoyable to use is that it sounds good out of the gate.  In the init patch the amp release isn't at 0, oscillator 1 is at 100% level and set to a sawtooth wave, the LFO is set to a nice vibrato, ya know it's a good starting point...

Until you get to the FX section.  By default we have just hall reverb with a mix of 64, size of 64, and predelay of 64.  This isn't a usable setting; when you turn on the FX, the patch you've been working on invariably sounds worse! In the Pro 3 there seems to have been some effort in making the FX start at a good default setting, and I would like the P6 to have the same thing.  Because why make a bad first impression?  The P6 FX don't suck, the initial settings sure make it sound like they do though.

Here's a proposed solution:

Make the default mix of Effect 2 to be 25 instead of 64.  Then it doesn't really matter what other reverb settings you choose, it's just going to sound...nice!  But a default size that's a little bigger/more natural would be good too.  100?

What does everybody else think?  Is there some reason the workflow is 1. make analog patch 2. turn on FX 3. Yuck 4. Fix unlabeled FX parameters or turn them off and try external FX?

Surely this would be a OS patch that would require almost no time to do as well...

Re: Feature Request: Usable Default FX Settings on Init Patch
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 07:43:28 AM »
Does anyone at all have a use for hall reverb with 64 mix, 64 size and 64 predelay?

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 08:50:33 AM »
I have my own init patch set as I want - might that be what you need to look at?

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 12:15:32 PM »
I didn't know you could do that! I'm looking for how to do it in the manual and can't find it, how do you save your own init patch?

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 06:09:17 PM »
I didn't know you could do that! I'm looking for how to do it in the manual and can't find it, how do you save your own init patch?

Hold preset and write to initialise the current patch. Then save it as per normal.

Keith
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 08:22:32 AM »
....I think you might be confused about what I'm asking for.  That's not saving a custom init patch.  That's saving a patch.

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2021, 02:53:59 AM »
....I think you might be confused about what I'm asking for.  That's not saving a custom init patch.  That's saving a patch.
It isn’t possible to replace the INIT patch with a custom one. Would be a welcome feature addition though.

LPF83

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2021, 05:04:58 AM »

From a synth makers perspective, that would be a troubleshooting nightmare, because then the only way to revert to the true init patch is to do a factory reset on the synth.

Not just with synths but all things, I just use the "template" approach.  For example if I want my init patch to start down an octave by default, just init a patch, then save it in the first slot (or wherever I've decided to base my templates), so let's say its patch 111..  Instead of using the shortcut for initializing patch, just start all new sounds with patch 111, and save the new one in 211 or whatever.

I will say that "templates", and what's good for workflow productivity, are often a bad thing for creativity.   Because setting the baseline sound is going to influence all sounds that come from it -- if that baseline is minimalistic as possible, there are more possible outcomes.  It's very easy to get dependent on sound design "efficiency" and end up with a lot sounds that have too much in common.  Starting from a true initialized state every time often helps branch into new territory.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 07:34:59 AM »

Not sure if you were responding to me or not. If you were, then I think I was being a little terse. Apologies.

What I meant was create an init patch by holding down preset and write. Then season to taste with effect(s). Then save. The patch is now available for use as a custom init patch. You could even do multiple custom patches with different things going on in each.

Me. I like some reverb, chorus and a lot of stereo spread in my patches. That’s what my custom init patch has.

Hope this helps.

Keith
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 11:48:37 PM »
What I meant was create an init patch by holding down preset and write. Then season to taste with effect(s). Then save. The patch is now available for use as a custom init patch. You could even do multiple custom patches with different things going on in each.

This. I have a number of my saved init on the first bank as a basis for lead and pad development. This is also what I do on my other analog synths. I rarely use a manufacturer init unless I’m troubleshooting.

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 02:06:10 PM »

From a synth makers perspective, that would be a troubleshooting nightmare, because then the only way to revert to the true init patch is to do a factory reset on the synth.

The Tempest does indeed allow you to overwrite the factory init patch, so when you initialize a sound it always defaults to that one. Mine is no sound instead of the default kick drum. It's a cool feature that I wish was more common.