synth "retirements"

synth "retirements"
« on: July 11, 2021, 09:17:57 AM »
So I noticed the Prophet 12 is getting retired this year. Did anyone on this forum own it? 

Given everything thats happened with the rev 2 OS bugs it's somewhat concerning to think that the rev 2 would get "Retired" in a similar fashion when they've finally sold most of the units they have in their stores. Hope those guys manage to fix all the OS bugs before that.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 09:24:21 AM by focusred »

LPF83

Re: synth "retirements"
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 10:36:13 AM »
So I noticed the Prophet 12 is getting retired this year. Did anyone on this forum own it? 

Given everything thats happened with the rev 2 OS bugs it's somewhat concerning to think that the rev 2 would get "Retired" in a similar fashion when they've finally sold most of the units they have in their stores. Hope those guys manage to fix all the OS bugs before that.

There's another side to that... some might say when a synth is being retired is a great time to buy.   I bought my P12 module when it was still an active product knowing they would soon be in short supply, and there may not be a proper replacement (and right now there isn't).  Even if Dave releases a new hybrid model, it might not have that certain sound I had heard and liked in the P12.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 08:37:19 PM »

There's another side to that... some might say when a synth is being retired is a great time to buy.   I bought my P12 module when it was still an active product knowing they would soon be in short supply, and there may not be a proper replacement (and right now there isn't).  Even if Dave releases a new hybrid model, it might not have that certain sound I had heard and liked in the P12.

as in you would or wouldn't consider buying a synth thats getting retired? Your thing sounds like there would be concern over getting replacement parts.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 08:57:02 PM »
There's no way to avoid this, no way to stay ahead of it.  Every synthesizer will be retired within about ten years of its release, and then most likely some of its parts will become scarce.  All you can do in enjoy being secure with a new instrument for a few years, and then, before you know it, you'll find yourself with a vintage synthesizer.  I bought my Evolvers brand new; now they're practically considered relics.  The only option is to constantly be selling and buying instruments, which is no way to develop a unique sound and talent. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 08:59:10 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 01:13:01 AM »
There's no way to avoid this, no way to stay ahead of it.  Every synthesizer will be retired within about ten years of its release, and then most likely some of its parts will become scarce.  All you can do in enjoy being secure with a new instrument for a few years, and then, before you know it, you'll find yourself with a vintage synthesizer.  I bought my Evolvers brand new; now they're practically considered relics.  The only option is to constantly be selling and buying instruments, which is no way to develop a unique sound and talent.

Yeah thats a very good point, it's such a gamble with new synths hey. you dont know how good the company will be at keeping parts. was DSI historically good at keeping the parts for the older releases? Is the poly evolver hard to get parts for?

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 04:51:07 AM »

as in you would or wouldn't consider buying a synth thats getting retired? Your thing sounds like there would be concern over getting replacement parts.

I would absolutely buy a synth that's being retired, as I did with the P12.  First of all a later serial number unit has the best probability of being reliable (all manufacturing issues worked out)..  second of all part availability and general servicability is never guaranteed one way or another.   Look at all the part shortages happening now.  Many synth companies in the past were only in business for a few years, yet many of the synths created under those companies are still going decades later.  In my mind there is no such thing as a risk free synth purchase.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 07:54:59 AM »

I would absolutely buy a synth that's being retired, as I did with the P12.  First of all a later serial number unit has the best probability of being reliable (all manufacturing issues worked out)..  second of all part availability and general servicability is never guaranteed one way or another.   Look at all the part shortages happening now.  Many synth companies in the past were only in business for a few years, yet many of the synths created under those companies are still going decades later.  In my mind there is no such thing as a risk free synth purchase.

Yeah that all makes sense. That said i've had friends ask about the rev 2 wanting to buy one the past 8 weeks, i usually just link them to this forum and they change their minds pretty quickly.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2021, 09:52:48 AM »

Yeah thats a very good point, it's such a gamble with new synths hey. you dont know how good the company will be at keeping parts. was DSI historically good at keeping the parts for the older releases? Is the poly evolver hard to get parts for?

Yes, some of the parts are getting scarce.  Sequential stands by their word, but there's only so much they can do.