MIDI note output from beat

MIDI note output from beat
« on: July 09, 2021, 07:04:24 PM »
Hi. Kinda late to the Tempest party.
I have one double time beat that is 80bpm and one halftime beat at 160bpm. when they play back to back at their respective tempos, they sound seamless.
a problem arises when I sync the Tempest: midi slaved to an external clock.
Instead of reprogramming the 160bpm beat from scratch at a new 80bpm tempo, I thought I’d try to fly the beat to an external sequencer, then record it back into the tempest (unsynced) with the Tempest’s internal clock set at 80bpm.
BUT… it seems like the Tempest doesn’t output the midi notes of the drum hits sequenced within a “beat” (pattern).
correct?
I just want to make sure I’m not insane, as I’ve done this trick with other drum machines many times.
Thanks!!

Re: MIDI note output from beat
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 04:23:00 AM »
Hi. Kinda late to the Tempest party.
I have one double time beat that is 80bpm and one halftime beat at 160bpm. when they play back to back at their respective tempos, they sound seamless.
a problem arises when I sync the Tempest: midi slaved to an external clock.
Instead of reprogramming the 160bpm beat from scratch at a new 80bpm tempo, I thought I’d try to fly the beat to an external sequencer, then record it back into the tempest (unsynced) with the Tempest’s internal clock set at 80bpm.
BUT… it seems like the Tempest doesn’t output the midi notes of the drum hits sequenced within a “beat” (pattern).
correct?
I just want to make sure I’m not insane, as I’ve done this trick with other drum machines many times.
Thanks!!

Only midi sequencer out i’m afraid..MIDI implementation is not Tempest’s strong point..
From the manual:
“ MIDI: Sequencer Out Channel: Off, 1...16—Selects the channel used to output MIDI note number messages from a Sound’s sequencer track.”

Re: MIDI note output from beat
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 09:09:21 PM »
Thanks for the clue. here’s the update: With some experimentation, I was able to finally do this!
It’s a tedious process, and only for the determined.
Here’s the big limitation of getting an internal beat from the Tempest into an external MIDI sequencer:
The Tempest is only able to output one midi note at a time! I had to overdub each drum —one at a time. (You choose which drum is being output to MIDI OUT with “MIDI Sequencer Sound” in the system menu.)
Oh, and regardless of which note the drum pad is assigned to, it is output as C3 for some reason! (I could not figure out how to change this).
So, then you have to menu dive and check which note is assigned to the pad you just recorded.
Then you must transpose the C3 hits to that drum pad’s note, so the sequencer can trigger the Tempest (or whatever other machine) properly.
Forget using a hardware sequencer. I had to break out Logic, so I could see exactly what was happening on a big screen and line up the notes where I wanted them, so that everything started on “the 1.”
Finally, press the System button on the Tempest. scroll the category to: MIDI Polyphonic Keyboard Play.
Select line 6. MIDI Sequencer Sound. choose the next pad number and start all over again, overdubbing the next drum.
when you’re done, slave the tempest to the sequencer and if you did everything right, it should come out perfect!

I reprogrammed a second beat manually from scratch and it took a little longer and had a *slightly* different vibe —from the variation in velocities.

it was a very uh, authentically “vintage workflow.” reminded me of my days with the yamaha midi data filer…

so… tedious but was totally worth it… but I’m insane.
mwahaha!!!
…see?