Does 8 voice sound the same as 16 voice?

Does 8 voice sound the same as 16 voice?
« on: July 05, 2021, 01:36:07 PM »
I want to get a Rev2 but cannot afford the 16 voice. Voice count aside, do they sound the same? I mean the patches with unison, do they stack all available voices or is it configurable? say you have a split preset. Does stacking more than 4 voices (on rev2-8) in unison sound that different to stacking more than that on a rev2-16?

jok3r

Re: Does 8 voice sound the same as 16 voice?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 11:33:45 PM »
I want to get a Rev2 but cannot afford the 16 voice. Voice count aside, do they sound the same? I mean the patches with unison, do they stack all available voices or is it configurable? say you have a split preset. Does stacking more than 4 voices (on rev2-8) in unison sound that different to stacking more than that on a rev2-16?

Stacking more voices will always sound different and also depends on the detuning. But you can configure the voice count in unison mode per layer. 16-voice unison with the right amount of detuning can bring you in supersaw territory, where 8 voices won't get you... or at least the effect is not so extreme.

Same settings on (e.g. 4 voices) on a Rev2-16 should basically sound the same as on a Rev2-8.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES