Long tuning process - Prophet 10

Long tuning process - Prophet 10
« on: July 05, 2021, 01:09:04 PM »
I have a Prophet 10 that I haven't started up in maybe 10 days. Since I last had it up and running we have had an extreme heatwave where I live. I started the tuning process a couple of hours ago and it started really slow. Now it's been stuck at OAb (or is it 6) for at least a couple of hours. I'm just curious if that's normal and if I should let it run it's cycle and/or if I risk anything by turning the machine off before the cycle is done and have another try?

Would be extremely grateful for any answers.

Re: Long tuning process - Prophet 10
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 01:40:13 PM »
If you have a backup of your user sounds I think you can turn it off
and try to restart it after 10 seconds or so .....    :-\

Cheers !

1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 02:23:43 PM »

Cheers !

Thanks, unfortunately I don't have backup so I'll wait a little longer as it's still stuck at the same place. So that's the only risk of restarting even if the cycles not done? But does it seem normal with such a long tuning time with extreme temperature changes?

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 02:35:01 PM »

Cheers !

Thanks, unfortunately I don't have backup so I'll wait a little longer as it's still stuck at the same place. So that's the only risk of restarting even if the cycles not done? But does it seem normal with such a long tuning time with extreme temperature changes?

I've had my P5 get stuck twice during tuning. I wrote Sequential support and they suggested I clear the calibration tables. I did so and haven't had an issues with tuning since - neither the synth getting stuck during the process or my P5 needing frequent tuning. The heatwave is probably doing quite a number on those calibration tables.

Andy at Seq support also suggested I write down the readout next time the synth gets stuck during tuning, but I haven't had any problems since, and thus ain't written anything down. I do know that my 5 got stuck at two different places during its run of tuning freezes, but I can't remember what was displayed.

I'd suggest sending your info to Sequential. Sounds like a known issue and the more info they get from us, the better for all.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 03:10:28 PM »

Cheers !

I've had my P5 get stuck twice during tuning. I wrote Sequential support and they suggested I clear the calibration tables. I did so and haven't had an issues with tuning since - neither the synth getting stuck during the process or my P5 needing frequent tuning. The heatwave is probably doing quite a number on those calibration tables.

Andy at Seq support also suggested I write down the readout next time the synth gets stuck during tuning, but I haven't had any problems since, and thus ain't written anything down. I do know that my 5 got stuck at two different places during its run of tuning freezes, but I can't remember what was displayed.

I'd suggest sending your info to Sequential. Sounds like a known issue and the more info they get from us, the better for all.

Ok, thanks. I've written them now and we'll see if they recommend the same thing. But as far as I understand it from the both of you there's not much risk in turning it off mid process if their answer takes a while?

All the best
Peter

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 03:33:58 PM »

Cheers !

Ok, thanks. I've written them now and we'll see if they recommend the same thing. But as far as I understand it from the both of you there's not much risk in turning it off mid process if their answer takes a while?

All the best
Peter

Turning off, then back on has been my answer to getting the synth rolling when it gets stuck. I hope there's no danger to this, but yeah, it's good to log this possible bug with Sequential.

jok3r

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 11:39:12 PM »
I don't own an P5/10 (yet), but perhaps Razmo's tuning routine from the Rev2 could help if your synth gets stuck:

Leave the synth on for a while (or play if it's not tooo much out of tune). Power it off again an wait for 10-15 seconds. Power on again and start the tuning routine.

This trick always works on the Rev2. I would at least give it a try an the P5.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES