Now we need a new Pro One etc

Re: Now we need a new Pro One etc
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2016, 01:16:10 PM »
In the sawtooth sample, the Pro 2 has more edge (more upper harmonics?), but there is also more detune between the oscillators -  the Prophet 6, on the other hand, is smoother (perhaps due to less detuning?) and has a more clear fundamental tone - but it's not by much, if at all.

Were these examples using exactly two active oscillators on the Pro 2? If so, that's a pretty good argument in the Pro 2's favor. Perhaps the filter makes all the difference (by comparison to the Prophet 12's Curtis-based VCFs)....
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2016, 01:34:11 PM »
Yes, indeed, this experiment was an excellent promotional for the Pro 2.  As for the Prophet-6...oh well. 

I'd like to see some one else try to counter this with their own recorded comparisons.  But what I'd really like to hear is a Pro 2 next to a Prophet-6 next to a Prophet '08.  Actually, I'd be content just to hear the two Prophet synthesizers compared.  I know perhaps many people say the P-6 sounds much better than the P'08, but I recently read a few forum comments elsewhere saying just the opposite, and I suspect I might find myself sincerely agreeing with this latter bunch.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:42:15 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2016, 01:58:12 PM »
Okay, here's a single oscillator comparison, which I should have done in the first place:

https://soundcloud.com/pauldither/p6-pro2-single-osc-comparison/s-PeiAC

Like I said: I've recognized that the LP filter on the Prophet-6 seems to open a little more. While for all the examples the P-6 filter was turned about 2/3 up, the Pro 2 filter was turned up to about 90%. This may also have an influence on differently perceived harmonics, although I'd say that this is as close as I could get them both to sound filter-wise.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 02:02:43 PM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2016, 02:01:46 PM »
Have you reversed the instrument order?  Which is first?

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2016, 02:03:25 PM »
Have you reversed the instrument order?  Which is first?

Everything is exactly the same. Pro 2 first. Says a lot about the common ground between Quantum Physics and synth comparisons, doesn't it?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2016, 02:05:24 PM »
You might want to switch the title. 

The sawtooths sound very similar to me.  But regarding the triangle, square, and PWM patches, in all cases I prefer the Pro 2!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 02:08:02 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2016, 02:06:04 PM »
In the sawtooth sample, the Pro 2 has more edge (more upper harmonics?), but there is also more detune between the oscillators -  the Prophet 6, on the other hand, is smoother (perhaps due to less detuning?) and has a more clear fundamental tone - but it's not by much, if at all.

Were these examples using exactly two active oscillators on the Pro 2? If so, that's a pretty good argument in the Pro 2's favor. Perhaps the filter makes all the difference (by comparison to the Prophet 12's Curtis-based VCFs)....

Differently perceived harmonic content can be due to the slightly different filter range.

And yes, these examples used exactly two active oscillators on both instruments.

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2016, 02:06:47 PM »

The sawtooths sound very similar to me.  But regarding the square and PWM patches, in both cases I prefer the Pro 2!

Well, then you've found your mono synth.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2016, 02:09:53 PM »
Oh, I was dreading that comment.  So, how do I make this thing stereo?  There will never be a Pro 2 Module.  I know, I know - a couple of SEMs.  This is where I was about eight months ago.

Shaw

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2016, 02:10:39 PM »
Okay, here's a single oscillator comparison, which I should have done in the first place.

I think the way you did the comparison was fine.  It was exactly what I was looking for... real world patch examples.  How often do you use a patch made of a single OSC with no PWM, Filter Env., etc....

Thanks for the new comparison, but the first one was exactly what I asked for.   :)

As soon as I get my Pro-2 set up near my DAW (waiting on a new Keyboard stand -- come on Sweetwater), I will record more examples like what I was thinking.

Cheers!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2016, 02:12:50 PM »
As soon as I get my Pro-2 set up near my DAW (waiting on a new Keyboard stand -- come on Sweetwater), I will record more examples like what I was thinking.Cheers!

This would be good.  More comparisons.

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2016, 02:12:58 PM »
Okay, here's a single oscillator comparison, which I should have done in the first place.

I think the way you did the comparison was fine.  It was exactly what I was looking for... real world patch examples.  How often do you use a patch made of a single OSC with no PWM, Filter Env., etc....

Thanks for the new comparison, but the first one was exactly what I asked for.   :)

As soon as I get my Pro-2 set up near my DAW (waiting on a new Keyboard stand -- come on Sweetwater), I will record more examples like what I was thinking.

Cheers!

Thank you, Shawn. It just seems to have made it harder to identify the single oscillator timbres more precisely, which is why I did the 2nd recording.

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2016, 02:13:28 PM »
As soon as I get my Pro-2 set up near my DAW (waiting on a new Keyboard stand -- come on Sweetwater), I will record more examples like what I was thinking.Cheers!

This would be good.  More comparisons.

How many comparisons can one take?  ;D

Shaw

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2016, 02:13:43 PM »

The sawtooths sound very similar to me.  But regarding the square and PWM patches, in both cases I prefer the Pro 2!

Well, then you've found your mono synth.

I'm glad someone else said it -- I expected the Pro-2 to fare well in this type of analysis.  That's why I was hoping to get someone to do the audio samples... Thank Paul.

Might Need to change the title of this thread to "Now do we really need a new Pro One?"

Cheers!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2016, 02:14:58 PM »
And no one was interested in my 2nd mash-up at all. Harrumph…

Shaw

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2016, 02:16:23 PM »
And no one was interested in my 2nd mash-up at all. Harrumph…

It was interesting, but I think we had the answer after the first... right Sacred Synth?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2016, 02:17:33 PM »
I'm not talking.  I'm sulking.

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2016, 02:18:44 PM »

Why? Isn't this what you were hoping for? - I mean given the reality-check that there won't be a one voice Prophet-6 (because it's unnecessary as its already part of the Prophet-6) and no Pro 2 module (which would totally undermine its concept).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 02:22:27 PM by Paul Dither »

Shaw

« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2016, 02:24:50 PM »

Why? Isn't this what you were hoping for? - I mean given the reality-check that there won't be a one voice Prophet-6 (because it's unnecessary as its already part of the Prophet-6) and no Pro 2 module (which would totally undermine its concept).

And that the Pro-2 is as capable of lush sounds as it's newer, more analogue cousin....

« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2016, 02:25:59 PM »
And that the Pro-2 is as capable of lush sounds as it's newer, more analogue cousin....

You mean the Pro 2 is lusher than the Prophet-6?