Korg ARP Reissues

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Korg ARP Reissues
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2022, 05:50:35 AM »
I consistently find the Korg ARP 2600 FS and M to sound superior to the Behringer 2600.  And to my ears, the Korg ARP 2600 also sounds superior to the Korg ARP Odyssey.  I know it's only YouTube quality, but there still an amount of sound judgment one can make from careful listening, especially when the results are consistent.

« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2022, 03:48:08 PM »
You know the more I think about it. I think Korg is really wasting the ARP brand. If they want to just stick with reissues fine.... preferably something other than a duophonic/monophonic synth. However, how awesome would it be for a completely new ARP synth to be released? Much like Oberheim's OBX8 which is a tribute to past instruments but also brings it into the modern era. Would it be so bad for Korg to do a poly synth under the ARP brand?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2022, 05:42:27 PM »
Isn't that practically what Behringer is doing - offering modified/updated ARP reissues?

maxter

« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2022, 02:28:23 PM »
I consistently find the Korg ARP 2600 FS and M to sound superior to the Behringer 2600.  And to my ears, the Korg ARP 2600 also sounds superior to the Korg ARP Odyssey.  I know it's only YouTube quality, but there still an amount of sound judgment one can make from careful listening, especially when the results are consistent.

The B2600 utilizes active mixing instead of passive, which I think plays a MAJOR part in the sound. I recall some guy mod'ing both the Boog and the B2600 in this regard, and comparing the sound with unmodded, with quite striking difference. The passive mixer has these weird "spots" here and there when increasing amp for the oscillators, due to some interaction between them it seems. It sounds weird, but in a good way.

I don't know about the Bodyssey, haven't owned one, but the demos I've heard sound so much better than the B2600 for some reason. Perhaps it is "true'er" in design, with passive mixing. I have no idea, it just sounds so much "fatter" to my ears.
The Way the Truth and the Life

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2022, 03:16:51 PM »
I don't know about the Bodyssey, haven't owned one, but the demos I've heard sound so much better than the B2600 for some reason. Perhaps it is "true'er" in design, with passive mixing. I have no idea, it just sounds so much "fatter" to my ears.

Yes, I agree with you.  But I still think the Behringer Odyssey is thinner-sounding than the Korg.  And I've read a fair number of comments saying the same.

I must admit, in these difficult times, I've been sorely tempted to go for one of the Behringer ARP revisions.  I've many times envisioned a Behringer Odyssey-2600 combination, but the sound of each - especially the latter - just doesn't seem to be satisfactory.  I don't want to get bogged down with lower-quality instruments.  My eight-voice Poly Evolver Keyboard simply wouldn't tolerate it.  She's quite proud and territorial, you know.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 03:54:41 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2022, 05:58:08 PM »
I've had the Behringer 2600 for several months.  I cannot comment on comparative aspects, as I haven't watched many videos or have much familiarity with the originals.  However, there was one vid posted here that did sound like the original was a tad warmer.   But I'm very satisfied with the low end- which only my Pittsburgh Foundation and Doepfer Dark Energy seem to match.  Some interesting sounds to be had.  Seems to hold its tuning well over days of being turned off.    A peculiarity is the 4012 /4072 filter switch , which for the life of me, I cannot discern it making any difference whatsoever.    The make of it seems pretty good, and to be honest I really like the colored lights on the sliders ;).   Overall this simply allowed me to experiment in the classic "Arp niche" without breaking the bank.  I found a patch book for the original on youtube and was able to transcribe some of those reasonably well.  Once bitten by the convenience of polysynths and patch memory it seems these are a pretty specific niche and mindset. 
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2022, 09:43:19 PM »
I've had the Behringer 2600 for several months.  I cannot comment on comparative aspects, as I haven't watched many videos or have much familiarity with the originals.  However, there was one vid posted here that did sound like the original was a tad warmer.   But I'm very satisfied with the low end- which only my Pittsburgh Foundation and Doepfer Dark Energy seem to match.  Some interesting sounds to be had.  Seems to hold its tuning well over days of being turned off.    A peculiarity is the 4012 /4072 filter switch , which for the life of me, I cannot discern it making any difference whatsoever.    The make of it seems pretty good, and to be honest I really like the colored lights on the sliders ;).   Overall this simply allowed me to experiment in the classic "Arp niche" without breaking the bank.  I found a patch book for the original on youtube and was able to transcribe some of those reasonably well.  Once bitten by the convenience of polysynths and patch memory it seems these are a pretty specific niche and mindset.

Nice to see a Dark Energy fan here. I just dragged mine up from the basement. I use it mostly as a MIDI-to-CV for the Pro One, but it really does have a fab sound. And it looks good alongside Sequential gear...

« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2022, 12:28:07 PM »
Right on.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2023, 08:06:46 PM »
I have a Karp odyssey. Bought it when it came out. I got the one with the mini keys. It sounds good though I hate mini keys. I believe the full size one was released after the minikey one was. I have a Yamaha AN1X  and I would use it as  a master midied to the karp odyssey slave. I don’t really use the karp odyssey anymore being that I have the sequential pro3
And Moog Voyager.  I prefer patch memory and stereo outs  in addition to the effects plus the fact you have two VCOs and one wavetable oscillator. I got the SE version.  I$2100 dollars vs $600 dollars. The black case that comes with it is cool.
Don’t like those pressure pads to control pitch and modulation.  The karp didn’t sound large like the Seqpro3 or the voyager.
It’s a good synth though. It was more of a nostalgic buy. I should have got the full sized one though. The one thing the karp does well is FM.  If I’m remembering right it doesn’t have aregular ADSR like most synths. The way it’s laid out is different. I remember it has a lag processor.  Sounds good though and sounds like the orginal  at least it does to me.  I’m not really comparing apples to apples though.  I purchased it because I thought I could have a Minimoog and an odyssey finally. Some people think the voyager doesn’t sound the same as an orginal model D. I would agree. Really two different synth designs.
One is the orginal one is a modern take with  stereo filters, sync , two mod busses, patch memory etc. I like the voyager
And the sequential pro3.  The Karp is duophonic though.  The Karp is my least favorite of the three . The orginal Arp odyssey was meant to be a alternative to the Arp 2600 being that it retained some of the Arp 2600s sound and capabilities
yet was stripped down   The Arp Odssey was positioned to compete with the Minimoog model D. I really like the Arp
2600 although I’m not really into semi modular or modular being that I don’t like to patch things.  Those karp 2600 that came out with the case are real nice.  The prices on reverb for those now used are astronomical. I know there’s the smaller version available now.