Korg ARP Reissues

Re: Korg ARP Reissues
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2022, 07:03:54 PM »
I try to keep my ear to the ground on this, hoping for news of another Korg-ARP reissue, but I've heard of nothing more.  The 2600M is most desirable and it's something to hope for, but I'd also be interested in any of the other ARPs synthesizers. 

Anybody here anything?

I kinda like the idea of the Quadra mini - only cos it'd be cute to see such a large synth shrunk down to semi-usable size!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2022, 08:46:09 PM »
Oh, the richness of all that real estate, the broad panel and full keyboard.  It declares, "I'm a very serious synthesizer."  You take the Lego version, Ant, and I'll take the full size. :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 08:53:33 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2022, 09:18:21 PM »
Oh, the richness of all that real estate, the broad panel and full keyboard.  It declares, "I'm a very serious synthesizer."  You take the Lego version, Ant, and I'll take the full size. :)

I'm teasing, of course! I had a borrowed Quadra in my basement studio for a year or so wayyy back when. Loved that thing, though I really only remember using it for its phase-shifty strings. But the epic size of it was impressive to my teenage brain. No, a shrunk-down Quadra just kinda wouldn't be a right thing, I don't think!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2022, 09:50:58 AM »
I've always favored large instruments, even when I had to move them from place to place.  Jeepers, eons ago I used to carry around a Rhodes in the back seat of my olive-green Ford Maverick.  But still, there's something special about sitting at a synthesizer that at least resembles an organ console.  It's roomy for programming, stable for its weight, and can support other instruments.  Everything about it is substantial.  I only wish my Prophet '08 was larger.  The Poly Evolver Keyboard is a nice size. 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2022, 01:48:46 PM »
For what it's worth.  I wish Korg would produce an ARP Omni II, complete with a four-octave keyboard.  I'm already mad from all the modules.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 02:02:54 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2022, 02:45:25 PM »
For what it's worth.  I wish Korg would produce an ARP Omni II, complete with a four-octave keyboard.  I'm already mad from all the modules.

I think it would be cool if they did, but I wonder if they would view it as too risky since the cost of a quality keyboard would likely dwarf the cost of the synthesis engine, especially with the Waldorf Striechfett out there for $250-ish new.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2022, 03:33:01 PM »
Yes, you're right - although the Striechfett, in spite of its relative flexibility, sounds like a poor competitor for an Omni II. 

The Waldorf STVC is $1,150 and the Streichfett is $480.  The latter doesn't sound that good to me - very thin.  I would think, in this era of re-issues, Korg could release a short-run number of Omni II's at a moderately competitive price.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 03:36:20 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2022, 03:34:38 PM »
Yes, you're right - although the Striechfett, in spite of its relative flexibility, sounds like a poor competitor for an Omni II.   

If miniKorg 700FS sales are working out for them (and possibly they are, as the price hasn't been slashed from original MSRP indicating they are happy with the supply/demand situation), then I suppose it's perfectly reasonable that they could do an Omni II reissue.  I'm making some assumptions about the manufacturing cost of a divide down synth that may or may not be accurate.

Meanwhile I've been pretty pleased with the string sounds I get from the Rev2.  Another trick I've been doing lately is use the Prophet 10 in combination with a BOSS EQ-200 to thin out the tone, then run through the phaser of the Strymon Mobius (which I think separates itself from many stereo phasers in that it has a 2-stage option, as well as a great range of tweakability on all params).

I've never heard an Omni II in person so I'm not sure how close I'm getting to that sound, but the act of exploration always seems to lead me somewhere nice.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 03:36:34 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2022, 03:35:48 PM »
The Waldorf STVC is $1,150 and the Streichfett is $480.  The latter doesn't sound that good to me - very thin.  I would think, in this era of re-issues, Korg could release a short-run number of Omni II's at a moderately competitive price.

You can import a Streichfett from ThomannUsa for $250 + shipping, looks like they are out of stock at the moment though.

LPF83

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2022, 03:50:58 PM »
I agree that the Prophet '08 and Rev2 do fabulous string patches of various types.  However, a vintage string synthesizer has a sound all its own.  Even something as cheap as an Elka Rhapsody has a unique quality that also responds differently to effects.  It would make a really nice layer under other synthesizers, and I suppose that's the appeal of a module.  Still, I'd love to have a dedicated string machine.  It would make a fine left-hand chordal support keyboard.

Yeah, sometimes I do just want a dedicated string machine.  I like the Streichfett tone from what I've heard personally..  I'd like to see the Omni II remake but it wouldn't be for me with a full keyboard.  Most new additions will need to be a module for me from this point on.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2022, 03:54:39 PM »
I know others would disagree, but Behringer instruments still don't seem to be of satisfactorily high build and sound quality.  I've listened to and read a bit about comparisons between the Korg re-issues and the Behringer versions, especially the Odyssey and the 2600.  People are through-the-roof excited when Behringer announces a new instrument, and the YouTube demonstrators next do their best to keep the enthusiasm high.  I was interested in a number of their instruments, but after comparing them with the Korgs, I always changed my mind.  I'd prefer to pay the extra money to have a Korg string synthesizer than save money on a Behringer.  That's just one man's opinion.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 04:13:49 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2022, 04:18:44 PM »
I know others would disagree, but Behringer instruments still don't seem to be of satisfactorily high build and sound quality.  I've listened and read a lot on this, and - for example - there is no comparison between the Korg re-issues and the Behringer versions.  That would include the Odyssey and the 2600.  People are through-the-roof excited when Behringer announces a new instrument, and the YouTube demonstrators next do their best to keep the enthusiasm high.  I was interested in a number of their instruments but comparing them with the Korgs always changed my mind.  So, I'd prefer to pay the extra money to have a Korg string synthesizer than save money on a Behringer.  That's just one man's opinion.

Over the decades my observation (some from hands on experience and some from simple research into the R&D and operations of audio gear manufacturing as an industry) is that when it comes to the quality of components... the good stuff tends to cost more.  The definition of "good" can manifest not only in the way gear sounds, but how it holds up over time.  I've heard reports of discount-priced gear becoming increasingly noisy over time or experiencing other issues, and I can't help but think that the same components that are producing the attractive price tags are also sacrificing longevity if not sound quality.   

Where I am at right now, my buying decisions are based on two things -- (1) how much my ear likes the tone of an instrument..... yes YT videos don't accurately represent, but they do provide a relative measure and haven't let me down yet....and (2) how much I think I might regret not buying the gear in the future...    There have been too many instances, in decades of old, where I liked the sound of an instrument but I figured something I liked better was always around the corner and talked myself out of purchasing it.   Now I realize that the instruments I like the sound of are often going to be hard to find and/or cost prohibitive in the future, so I make my purchasing plans for the present accordingly.

Not to discourage anyone if they are happy with Behringer gear but I personally think they are likely using cut-rate discount components and thus the gear is not likely to be future classics... and so far I haven't been wowed with the sound of any of it so I don't buy.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2022, 04:30:16 PM »
I agree.  I was at least excited to see the Behringer CAT.  I had an Octave CAT many moons ago and liked it as much as the Odyssey.  But if you read the comments of those who have owned the BAT, you'll find many stories about serious quality problems. 

Again - not to promote Korg - but their instruments are of a higher standard.  And that matters to those of us especially who don't want to buy and sell instruments every year or two.  I prefer to buy the right synthesizers and keep them for a decade or more.  I've owned a Prophet '08 since the significant year of 2008!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 05:06:23 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

jg666

« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2022, 12:48:01 AM »
I have to agree with what you are both saying about B-word products versus the real mccoy. Yes, I've just purchased a B-word RD-9 but it fills a need that I've had for a while and I just wanted something cheap and cheerful to play around with and not something that will become a classic :)

I'm not really into drum machine stuff and have always used the yamaha synths for the drum tracks but it's always been a pain in the backside for me doing that so I just want to make life easy for myself.

I do sometimes wonder though if all the chips and internal components for all synths come from the same few factories in China, but that's just my cynical mind working overtime !!

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2022, 06:15:50 PM »
Long and Rambling, but some interesting content.

« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2022, 02:06:59 AM »
Long and Rambling, but some interesting content.

I can never get into these "long form" vidcasts... Ten minutes of "Uh, is the mic working...? Can you guys hear me?"

BUT, I'm very happy that I've held onto my Odyssey module. Every so often I look at it thinking, "do I really need it? I've got other monosynths and I could sell it any buy..." But then I turn it on, play it, add it to a track and remember why I like it so. And it's simply because of the way it sounds. Classic and plain old "good."

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2022, 05:35:08 AM »
Oh boy, do I agree with you on that!  I don't listen to podcasts, least of all on synthesizers.  I can't stand all the geekish blather and the heads turning to this screen and that screen, wondering why someone's not visible or audible.  But I was drawn in by the title, which is definitely of interest.

I do regular searches on Youtube of three brands of synthesizers: DSI/Sequential, ARP, and Korg.  That's generally all that interests me.  So, anything about an ARP synthesizer will definitely get my attention.

What I would most like to see Korg reissue - besides an Omni II - is an ARP Solus  FS.  That could be a reasonably-priced instrument, since it sits between an Odyssey and an Axxe.  Simple architecture, respectable capabilities, great sound, and compact and portable.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 06:08:22 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2022, 10:20:47 AM »
Oh boy, do I agree with you on that!  I don't listen to podcasts, least of all on synthesizers.  I can't stand all the geekish blather and the heads turning to this screen and that screen, wondering why someone's not visible or audible.  But I was drawn in by the title, which is definitely of interest.

I do regular searches on Youtube of three brands of synthesizers: DSI/Sequential, ARP, and Korg.  That's generally all that interests me.  So, anything about an ARP synthesizer will definitely get my attention.

What I would most like to see Korg reissue - besides an Omni II - is an ARP Solus  FS.  That could be a reasonably-priced instrument, since it sits between an Odyssey and an Axxe.  Simple architecture, respectable capabilities, great sound, and compact and portable.

Curious if you've ever been a Moog man. I've had a couple Micromoogs and now have a Grandmother. As with, say, the Prophet 5, there's simply a "THAT sound" aspect that I can't resist about Moog synths, yet I've never felt any urge to gather up a flock of them. One is enough. I've got or have had a range of Sequential and Korg gear, and at times more than a couple Roland this'n'that's but never more than one Moog. Maybe "THAT sound" takes up enough sonic space and with such specific character that the job is done with one.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2022, 12:10:00 PM »
Many moons ago, when playing in bands, I had a Minimoog Model D.  Yes, I liked it, but it didn't strike me as being superior to my other instruments.  I far preferred the Octave CAT and ARP Odyssey.  About ten years ago, I bought a Voyager Old School and expected it to be my favorite instrument.  But once I again, I didn't particularly care for it - which shocked me.  I thought that iconic massive warm rich analog "Moog sound" would perfectly suit me, but it didn't.  Nor did it blend in well with my DSI equipment.  I ended up trying various effects pedals to try to make the Moog find its place in the mix, but it didn't work, it wouldn't blend in. 

The only Moog synthesizer I ever really liked was the original Taurus pedals.  So, I'm over Moog.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 05:44:54 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2022, 10:17:47 AM »
Many moons ago, when playing in bands, I had a Minimoog Model D.  Yes, I liked it, but it didn't strike me as being superior to my other instruments.  I far preferred the Octave CAT and ARP Odyssey.  About ten years ago, I bought a Voyager Old School and expected it to be my favorite instrument.  But once I again, I didn't particularly care for it - which shocked me.  I thought that iconic massive warm rich analog "Moog sound" would perfectly suit me, but it didn't.  Nor did it blend in well with my DSI equipment.  I ended up trying various effects pedals to try to make the Moog find its place in the mix, but it didn't work, it wouldn't blend in. 

The only Moog synthesizer I ever really liked was the original Taurus pedals.  So, I'm over Moog.

Curiouser and curiouser! But preference always overrules "should" in synthland!

Now, see, for meself, the Micromoog and Pro One were best mates and my Grandmother loves my Prophet 5. In the eternal "If you could only live on one island?" line-up, I've felt those latter two would be enough. My Prologue jumps up to say, but you live on a farm and have room for as many synths as you have!" and that's that. But yeah, my own experience with Moog and Sequential is one of pure, dumb love!

In general, I do love finding how various synths pair up. Prologue is a sidekick to nearly anything I own. The ARP Odyssey (purchased on your recommendation) likes the Moog maybe in a sibling-rivalry kinda way. I briefly had a PolySix and a Juno 6 same time. The Korg held its own, but also always sorta stuck out, whereas the Juno had no enemies in the world and was happy to hang out with any synth, cat or tabletop...