Korg ARP Reissues

CPN37

Re: Korg ARP Reissues
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2021, 03:13:43 PM »
I have some familiarity with using non-programmable synthesizers in a live setting, as well as with once-off studio performances.  There are a number of changes that you can easily make without too much time or difficulty.  The most obvious would be changing the waveforms.  But if you really know a particular synthesizer, you can also make filter and envelope changes with relative ease.  You just have to know the positions of the sliders or knobs very well.  It's possible, though.  Of course, this reverts to the issue of using instruments for many years, rather than constantly exchanging old ones for new ones.

Having listened to a fair number of Banks' interviews, I've long known he clearly didn't like the programming aspect of synthesizers.  Now he's happier just punching a computer keyboard and getting the desired sound.  Eh, it's too bad.  I understand his love of composing, and I share it.  But painstakingly crafting a synthesizer patch to suit a piece of music is also an art, and one that greatly contributes to the finished work.  This, as opposed to using electronic keyboards to imitate acoustic instruments, and obtaining those sounds from what is basically an office device.  It's just very disappointing.

I far prefer the romantic image and reality of a composer bent over his instrument late at night under the glare of a reading lamp, crafting a piece of musical beauty.  And I have no problem inserting the synthesizer into this image. 

By the way, CPN37, you did a fine job of providing questions.  It sounds as if Dina altered them a bit, but they still did cover a decent range of interesting topics.

Ah thank you, I appreciate that and I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a blast for me getting Tony to air his views on Autobahn and whether 'Back In NYC' was a sort of new wave electronic punk Tubeway Army thing 5 years ahead of time!

Yeah I like that image you mention too. For years (well - I still supposedly do this Covid-permitting) I played live using the Pro~One so yeah once I eventually brought a REV2 with me to gigs with patch memory, keyboard split, and wait for it..FX (!) I didn't know where I was, everything was suddenly so easy 😄

I think I read somewhere Tony say that David Hentschel really helped him with the 2600. I'm sure I remember him saying that about Mad Man Moon (but I'm pretty sure that's all Pro Soloist 'Flute' preset actually so I might be misremembering that...)

By the way I'm doing a livestream with Dina soon so please join us if you are at a loose end😄
Sequential Prophet 5 Rev4, Sequential Circuits Pro One, Sequential Prophet Rev2-8, Minimoog, ARP Pro Soloist, Roland Jupiter 4, Roland Juno 60

nickcarlisle.bandcamp.com

CPN37

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2021, 03:15:28 PM »
I thought that Eno had coincidentally used the same technique on the "My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts" album

Interesting.  Do you know what song he used that technique on?

I don't know for sure but I always assumed it was America Is Waiting
Sequential Prophet 5 Rev4, Sequential Circuits Pro One, Sequential Prophet Rev2-8, Minimoog, ARP Pro Soloist, Roland Jupiter 4, Roland Juno 60

nickcarlisle.bandcamp.com

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2021, 03:19:31 PM »
Attached you'll find an interview from 1978.  That might shed a bit more light on Banks' use of the ARP 2600.

Hah!  I reads that interview when the magazine was actually published.  I've been at this for a while.

;D  And just by coincidence it also features the very first Prophet-5 ad ever printed.

Maybe that's where Banks first learned of the instrument.  ;D

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2021, 01:00:15 PM »
Dear Mr. Sacred... I've now got a Korg Odyssey module on the way to me in California. It's your buzz that convinced me. I'm in Berlin, trying to get rid of synths here, so maybe the O is my way of filling the half full/half empty cup all the way up, but I'm excited to have this one waiting for me when I return.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2021, 01:34:18 PM »
Ant, you can either blame me or thank me.  Regardless, I'll be interested to know later what you think of it.

« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2021, 02:56:15 PM »
Ant, you can either blame me or thank me.  Regardless, I'll be interested to know later what you think of it.

I'm very excited. Billy Currie of Ultravox was a hero of mine when I was a teen, and I'm still blown away by his epic Odyssey riffs and solos. I used an Odyssey on a record once, but just for noodly effects, not anything musical. Looking forward to having one of my own, for more noodly effects and for actual musical music! I'll be heading back to the States with a stack of all my Berlin gear, so the Odyssey will be fighting for table space and mixer channels. What have I got myself into?!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2021, 03:14:13 PM »
It's funny that as we've watched you [Sacred Synthesis] make your way towards the twin ARPs, you've become a sort of spokesman/salesman for the Odyssey.

Now let's see who's the next big promoter of the ARP Odyssey et al.  :P

jg666

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2021, 03:16:31 PM »

I'm very excited. Billy Currie of Ultravox was a hero of mine when I was a teen, and I'm still blown away by his epic Odyssey riffs and solos. I used an Odyssey on a record once, but just for noodly effects, not anything musical. Looking forward to having one of my own, for more noodly effects and for actual musical music! I'll be heading back to the States with a stack of all my Berlin gear, so the Odyssey will be fighting for table space and mixer channels. What have I got myself into?!

That takes me back to my late teens and early twenties when I saw Ultravox live a few times :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2021, 03:34:09 PM »

That takes me back to my late teens and early twenties when I saw Ultravox live a few times :)

I never did see them. I'm envious! I saw Gary Numan in... 2009? at the Junction, Cambridge, but otherwise don't think I've seen any of the big synth bands that I so adored. (And still adore, turns out!)

I could get a decent Billy Currie thing going by running my PolySix in Unison through an Ibanez flanger. Musta been a Keyboard interview or such where he pointed out how much the flanger was part of his sound. 

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2021, 03:37:06 PM »
It's funny that as we've watched you [Sacred Synthesis] make your way towards the twin ARPs, you've become a sort of spokesman/salesman for the Odyssey.

Now let's see who's the next big promoter of the ARP Odyssey et al.  :P

The Odyssey was the synth my wife learned to synth on. I won't be home for two months, but she'll be there to greet it when it arrives on the doorstep. I hope I'll have a chance to play it once in a while... she may claim it as hers!

jg666

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2021, 03:47:12 PM »

I never did see them. I'm envious! I saw Gary Numan in... 2009? at the Junction, Cambridge, but otherwise don't think I've seen any of the big synth bands that I so adored. (And still adore, turns out!)

I could get a decent Billy Currie thing going by running my PolySix in Unison through an Ibanez flanger. Musta been a Keyboard interview or such where he pointed out how much the flanger was part of his sound.

:) I never saw Gary Numan live so you have one up on me there !!!  I saw Ultravox a couple of times with John Foxx and then a couple of times with Midge Ure. John Foxx also used the Odyssey after splitting with Ultravox.

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2021, 08:20:38 AM »

:) I never saw Gary Numan live so you have one up on me there !!!  I saw Ultravox a couple of times with John Foxx and then a couple of times with Midge Ure. John Foxx also used the Odyssey after splitting with Ultravox.

I wasn't as big a fan of the UltraFoxx era, but I really like his solo material. I only have one LP, though. Curious if you remember the other acts on the bill for the John Foxx gigs... A crazy, curious time when any given club listing is something we'd drool over now.

jg666

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2021, 10:08:48 AM »

I wasn't as big a fan of the UltraFoxx era, but I really like his solo material. I only have one LP, though. Curious if you remember the other acts on the bill for the John Foxx gigs... A crazy, curious time when any given club listing is something we'd drool over now.

I don’t honestly remember any supporting acts. I’m not sure if there weren’t any or if I was in my usual drunken state that I can’t remember :)

The first time I saw them was in 1977 or 1978 at a very small venue called The Porterhouse just up the road from me in Retford. I think I was 17 at the time so probably 1978.

Either in the same year or the next year I saw them somewhere in Sheffield but can’t remember where!

Both if the above were Foxx era.

Then with Midge Ure I saw them again at The Porterhouse - this was very early Ure era because I remember him getting a bit of a hard time and him saying ‘give us a chance lads’

The final time I saw them they were getting big and this was a a venue in Lincoln (I think it was called the Drill Hall)

maxter

« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2021, 05:42:06 PM »
Just want to add this info. Anyone who wants a proper real deal 2600 should probably go with a Korg version. I don't know, but I would guess it's actually a proper clone, which the Bs 2600 really isn't, because the pre-filter mixer uses active mixing instead of passive, as on the OG ARP. This difference is of course huge, considering recreating the "character" of any synth. The same is true regarding their Model D, active instead of passive mixing. Their other "clones", I don't know about, as I have had no real interest in them.

I used to own a Creamware Minimax some years ago. Though I haven't compared it side by side with the Bs D, my impression was that it nailed the character and sound SO much better. Best VA I've played, probably. It's the best software D I've yet heard, despite no VCM or the like, and being completely digital. With a footprint of just about 1MB...  ??? Apparently, it's been re-released yet again by another company, this time as "Dinopark". Along with Prodyssey, Pro-12 and the other Creamware/Sonic Core/Use Audio synths...
The Way the Truth and the Life

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2021, 06:36:59 PM »
Just want to add this info. Anyone who wants a proper real deal 2600 should probably go with a Korg version. I don't know, but I would guess it's actually a proper clone, which the Bs 2600 really isn't, because the pre-filter mixer uses active mixing instead of passive, as on the OG ARP. This difference is of course huge, considering recreating the "character" of any synth. The same is true regarding their Model D, active instead of passive mixing. Their other "clones", I don't know about, as I have had no real interest in them.

I used to own a Creamware Minimax some years ago. Though I haven't compared it side by side with the Bs D, my impression was that it nailed the character and sound SO much better. Best VA I've played, probably. It's the best software D I've yet heard, despite no VCM or the like, and being completely digital. With a footprint of just about 1MB...  ??? Apparently, it's been re-released yet again by another company, this time as "Dinopark". Along with Prodyssey, Pro-12 and the other Creamware/Sonic Core/Use Audio synths...

Maxter, it looks like you've quite changed your opinion of the Behringer 2600.  Am I correctly understanding the meaning of Bs?  What happened?  You were so enthusiastic about it a few months ago.  Has the sound disappointed you or were their maintenance problems?

maxter

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2021, 04:31:28 AM »
Well, a little I suppose due to the active mixing, but I haven't really changed... I'm not too surprised. Anyhow, it's the only 2600 I could afford. I haven't been convinced enough to keep it nor sell it yet. I really like it, but I'm not convinced that I actually "need" it. As I've mentioned before, the reason for me getting the D and 2600 was to "experience" these synths first and foremost, mainly the architecture of it... I've bought and sold some 2nd hand synths solely for this reason, even if I practically knew beforehand that I wouldn't keep it. I've actually learned more than I thought I would from the 2600, so I don't regret it one bit. It's just that it will never really sound like an OG 2600 due to the mixer, unless you modify it with components and soldering.

Concerning the B... yeah, I understand that some blow through the roof even by the mention of that name, so out of consideration for their mental health I just call 'em Bs.  ;D They could've called the Wasp clone... the Bee  ::) yes, my humor is lame, Airplane-lame even.

Concerning the D, I actually sold my Minimax when the D was announced, as the Minimax filter cutoff was super smooth with no noticable stepping, but the oscillators coarse and fine tune had audible stepping. When I got the D I was surprised how lack-luster the sound was compared to the Minimax (and now I know why). Of course, the B-D being well-tuned compared to old Minimoogs, equals it sounding a bit more stale as well. But simply "de-calibrating" the oscs a bit would sort that. I have played Minimoogs here and there in studios as well, years and years ago, but never had the time to really get anywhere with it, until I got my Minimax. I kind of regret selling it, but a while ago I finally acquired a UseAudio Plugiator which has all the "Plugs", Minimax, Pro-12, Prodyssey, B4000 the most interesting ones. Been hunting that one for years. So will probably get rid of the B-D at least.
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2021, 06:02:12 AM »
I've moved all my gear from Berlin back to a farm in California. How's that for a rock and roll life?
While I was in Germany I went ahead and ordered an Odyssey module off Reverb. It arrived weeks ago, with me only arriving days ago.

My studio is utterly overflowing with gear now and for the first time in my life I'm certain I have "too much gear." I'm looking to let go of things I've owned and loved for decades. I love them for what they've meant to me - and I adore them as "things." I handed my TR-707 to my wife and said, "Just hold it... isn't it nice? The weight, the plastic-ness, the possibly ugly beige and orange design..." As an object, it's weirdly groovy to me. But it hasn't given me a forward-facing thrill in years. So I wonder if it's time to move it on to someone who'll dig it with a fresh head.

(Sorry for the jet lagged rant... here's the Odyssey bit!)

Yeah, and amongst alllll the instruments was the new (to me) Odyssey. I've never owned an ARP synth. In an early basement band, one of the keyboardists left his Quadra with me for a year - loved that thing, mostly for the phase-shifty strings. I've used the Odyssey and 2600 in studio, but this is the first one I can claim as my own. And honestly, I wonder if I've come to it too late. I've become a "Do I really NEED 7 mono-synths?" guy. I grew up with Billy Currie from Ultravox as a keyboard idol, and his influence is still obvious in my playing style. But I can get "his" sound on a Prophet 6 or a PolySix. The Odyssey, in the few hours I've spent with it so far, sounds lovely - of course - and familiar. But it still sounds like "an analog mono synth." (Yeah, I know it's duophonic, but you now what I mean!) I'm enjoying getting the hang of the patch panel and I think the module version is sexier than the mini-key version. I could neither afford a FS version, nor would I have space for it. This is such an old-skoo thing to say, but maybe I'm a Moog over ARP type. I've got a Pro One (which did NOT like being flown home and hasn't made a sound since it landed...) too, and that still always feels "right now" to me. I don't have a personal nostalgia for the Odyssey to connect to. So, taking it for what it is, it sounds fab but I'm not sure it's gonna stay mine. I've never turned a synth around quickly - I keep mine for years. But something in me is changing. I'm looking at all my instruments and asking "Does this inspire me? Does it hold mystery and feel like it is a sound from the future?" My wife and I got a SOMA Lyra-8 as a wedding gift... now THAT feels like something new and very mysterious. I'm not likely to ever  turn away from my love of classic analog synths, but in the spirit of whittling down a collection that's suddenly doubled in size, my take on gear has changed.

All this said, I'm happy to hear from anyone about the Odyssey. I was prompted to try one out after reading Sacred Syn's posts and I take delight in his delight with his pair of ARPs. Our instruments do matter so much to so many of us, and sometimes we click immediately and sometimes we learn our way slowly into things. But sometimes, it turns out, it's ok not to own or even covet every synth ever made! 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2021, 06:25:27 AM »
I'm obviously thrilled with the ARP Odyssey myself, but it certainly isn't for everyone.  If you get rid of it, I promise not to be hurt or offended. >:(  But before you forward the Odyssey to me ;D, let me mention that one little trick gets rid of the annoying clicky two-voice issue and smoothens out the sound.  On the back panel, connect CV IN with CV OUT.  This puts it in truly monophonic mode.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 02:40:58 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2021, 08:38:00 AM »
I'm obviously thrilled with the ARP Odyssey myself, but it certainly isn't for everyone.  If you get rid of it, I promise not to be hurt or offended. >:(  But before you forward the Odyssey to me ;D, let me mention that one little trick gets rid of the annoying clicky two-voice issue and smoothens out the sound.  On the back panel, connect CVIN with CVOUT.  This puts it in truly monophonic mode.

I did indeed play with the CV/mono trick, as well as the headphone out-into-audio in. Nice skwonky sounds happening there. I really do like this thing... it's nicely built and satisfying to tweak. A lovely sounding machine. But yeah, with all my gear now living in one place (in one room!), I don't want to find myself more a collector or curator than a creator. Whether I let the Odyssey go or not, it won't be right away. My studio is a mess and things aren't hooked up yet in a way that makes sense. Once things start to fall into place, I'll hook the ARP up to the Grandmother and see where that leads. To hear those paired is intriguing. Still, I could see myself selling the Odyssey and grabbing a Strega instead! My taste is maybe shifting...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2022, 02:44:29 PM »
I try to keep my ear to the ground on this, hoping for news of another Korg-ARP reissue, but I've heard of nothing more.  The 2600M is most desirable and it's something to hope for, but I'd also be interested in any of the other ARPs synthesizers. 

Anybody here anything?