Korg ARP Reissues

Sacred Synthesis

Korg ARP Reissues
« on: June 28, 2021, 11:43:06 AM »
This is an interesting comparison video between a Korg ARP Odyssey and a Behringer 2600.  I was surprised to prefer the Odyssey in almost every instance.

Re: Korg ARP Reissues
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 03:24:07 PM »
This is an interesting comparison video between a Korg ARP Odyssey and a Behringer 2600.  I was surprised to prefer the Odyssey in almost every instance.

You really know how to tempt someone....ugh....

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 04:59:51 PM »
Do you mean with the ARP Odyssey?  Lobolives, you know you want one...or two. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 05:52:42 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 07:48:36 AM »
Do you mean with the ARP Odyssey?  Lobolives, you know you want one...or two.

I'm conflicted still.

I think my mindset towards reissues of vintage instruments in regards to the Prophet 5 had some criticism to it. It was valid criticism. I dislike the idea of a Prophet 5 or OBX reissue based on the lack of features and in general the lack of advancement but I still lust for an ARP Odyssey module.....contradictory. So I've begun to slowly lean towards the Pro 3 over the ARPs based on the versatility of it. If I do go for the ARPs, I would have to get an external sequencer, external effects etc.

But yet, I still keep coming back to the idea of 2 ARPs.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 08:08:33 AM »
Get a new Korg ARP Odyssey.  Put it through the paces, and if it doesn't suit you, then return it within a few weeks for a full refund.  It won't be a huge financial burden one way or another. 

The sequencer is one thing.  But as for effects, I think there is an advantage in having to provide them externally in that you can choose from a much greater variety then you would have had onboard, and this can lead to a greater range of sound.  Onboard effects are a matter of convenience, and sometimes that's important.  But offboard effects are a matter of originality and flexibility.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 08:12:23 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 08:32:09 AM »
Get a new Korg ARP Odyssey.  Put it through the paces, and if it doesn't suit you, then return it within a few weeks for a full refund.  It won't be a huge financial burden one way or another. 

The sequencer is one thing.  But as for effects, I think there is an advantage in having to provide them externally in that you can choose from a much greater variety then you would have had onboard, and this can lead to a greater range of sound.  Onboard effects are a matter of convenience, and sometimes that's important.  But offboard effects are a matter of originality and flexibility.

Just have to figure out the best sequencer to pair with it. I would really love to see Sequential do a standalone multitrack sequencer.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 09:03:54 AM »
Just have to figure out the best sequencer to pair with it. I would really love to see Sequential do a standalone multitrack sequencer.

I agree.  I'm surprised Dave hasn't made such a device a part of his recent look-to-the-past project.  It would fit right in these days.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 01:53:47 PM »

I agree.  I'm surprised Dave hasn't made such a device a part of his recent look-to-the-past project.  It would fit right in these days.

Maybe he's having a tricky time sourcing the micro-cassettes!

Meanwhile, yeah, this post is certainly bringing on the ARP lust. Normally, I go for the keyboard version of synths I like, but the desktop Odyssey is gorgeous and would sit well amongst my increasing lack of room to move!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 03:08:42 PM »
The ARP Odyssey and 2600 are salivaters for certain, but I could get excited over a whole bunch of ARP reissues.  The Solus would be my first pick, but also the Axxe, as well as one of their several string synthesizers. 

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 05:21:54 PM »

The issue is Korg has discontinued them. So it's not like they are readily available anymore.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 06:03:46 PM »
You can still buy the module brand new from Musician's Friend,

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/korg-arp-odyssey-module-rv3/j44907000000000?rNtt=ARP%20Odyssey&index=1

as well as from Reverb.

https://reverb.com/p/korg-arp-odyssey-rev-3-module

But they won't be around for long.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 12:25:09 PM »
The full-sized keyboard version (2nd rev) with the sequencer is also available for an excellent price on Noisebug.  So one can definitely still find Korg ARP Odysseys.

https://www.noisebug.net/products/odyssey-fsq-rev-2?_pos=1&_sid=1736d1ea2&_ss=r

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 11:33:07 AM »
The full-sized keyboard version (2nd rev) with the sequencer is also available for an excellent price on Noisebug.  So one can definitely still find Korg ARP Odysseys.

https://www.noisebug.net/products/odyssey-fsq-rev-2?_pos=1&_sid=1736d1ea2&_ss=r

You're really making this hard!! I'm really wanting the Odyssey desktop now, but there's that whole "justification" thing. I've got money coming in for two projects and this would cover the cost of the Korg, but I'm surrounded by synths already in a pretty full-up room. I'm (finally!) heading back to Berlin for a bit, where I'll be selling some synths and shipping others back to California. The gear that will end up back here includes a Pro One, a Prophet 6 and an Evolver plus a drum machine or two. At this point, it's a matter of adding flavors at the expense of space. I've never owned an ARP, though I've used both the Odyssey and 2600 on records. I did have a Quadra living in my dad's basement for a year during my teenage days - got loads of mileage out of the gorgeous phased strings on that thing. Anyway, I'm indeed so tempted by the new Odyssey, and it's a rare moment where the desktop holds more appeal than the keyboard version. But dang, Sacred, your gentle nudge sales-pitch is impressive!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2021, 12:32:47 PM »
Ant, this is not just a chance to own an Odyssey; it's a chance to own a brand new Odyssey (nudge).  It's definitely a unique instrument and with a flavor all its own (nudge, nudge).  But these Korgs won't be available for long (nudge, nudge, nudge).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 12:37:30 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2021, 07:13:54 PM »
Ant, this is not just a chance to own an Odyssey; it's a chance to own a brand new Odyssey (nudge).  It's definitely a unique instrument and with a flavor all its own (nudge, nudge).  But these Korgs won't be available for long (nudge, nudge, nudge).

It's funny that as we've watched you make your way towards the twin ARPs, you've become a sort of spokesman/salesman for the Odyssey. And of course some of us have participated in all manner of other threads in the forum, talking about why we "need" more synths and what to do with such desire. I mentioned previously that I'll be very likely shipping most of my gear back from Germany. One that won't make the journey will be my Micromoog. It's too fragile to ship and I've already got a buyer lined up in Berlin, sounds like. Despite insisting I'd never part with it, off it goes. I could use the money to buy another one over here (I really do love that synth), or could as easily use the money for an Odyssey. The later I've only barely had access to - in studios and then more recently in shops - so I can't say I know it well first hand. Not sure where I'm going with my rambling, but I think it's cute that suddenly I "need" to have an ARP in my arsenal. I have a Grandmother here for Moog purposes. I bought it in anticipation of parting with the Micro. But the Micromoog is really its own creature and I've missed it since the pandemic pushed me out of Berlin. Does anyone want to insist that the Odyssey is the way forward? I'm all ears!

chysn

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2021, 10:07:51 AM »
But as for effects, I think there is an advantage in having to provide them externally in that you can choose from a much greater variety then you would have had onboard, and this can lead to a greater range of sound.  Onboard effects are a matter of convenience, and sometimes that's important.  But offboard effects are a matter of originality and flexibility.

Somewhat off-topic, but it goes beyond convenience. Don't overlook the powerful ability to modulate effects parameters with the synth's modulation matrix. Not that onboard and external effects are mutually-exclusive anyway.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2021, 12:26:07 PM »
That's true. 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2021, 08:37:06 PM »
It's funny that as we've watched you make your way towards the twin ARPs, you've become a sort of spokesman/salesman for the Odyssey.

I definitely don't want to be that.  I don't want to be "pushing" anything here except enthusiasm for a quality instrument that is generally overlooked.  But because I gone the route I have, I've gathered a certain amount of information on all things ARP that may be of use to others.   

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2021, 08:38:48 PM »
This is very interesting.  Banks has been one of the most sublime players of ARP synthesizers.

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2021, 09:16:57 PM »
It's funny that as we've watched you make your way towards the twin ARPs, you've become a sort of spokesman/salesman for the Odyssey.

I definitely don't want to be that.  I don't want to be "pushing" anything here except enthusiasm for a quality instrument that is generally overlooked.  But because I gone the route I have, I've gathered a certain amount of information on all things ARP that may be of use to others.

I'm just teasing, don't worry. You really did inspire several days of ARP quest in me, though, which I quite appreciate! Your enthusiasm and thoughtfulness do make for a winning combo.

A very geek thing for me to say, but of all the classic synth makers out there, ARP is one I've never owned, nor spent enough time with, despite always having such affection for both the ARP sound and vibe. The new 2600 is beyond my reach, at least until I sell my gear in Berlin, but the Odyssey isn't an impossible hope, and your "push" feels inspired and inspiring.