Brand New Prophet 10 desktop module bricked after installing OS 1.5.2....

I'd really appreciate some help here. I've been looking forward to playing with this thing all day. I finally got home and downloaded the OS 1.5.2 to update. I plugged it in via USB and followed the directions to update via MidiOx. The weird thing I noticed is that the OS sys ex file is named "prophet5_main_1.5.2.syx", but I looked it up and read that the OS was the same between the two.

I set the buffer output num and size to 1024. I watched it count up to 100 and then down from 10, but it didn't restart. I manually restarted it and now only the release/hold light turns on when I power it up. No other light nor the screen is on. I have no clue what to do and I'm bummed out beyond belief.

What is my next step here? This is my first Sequential product and I'm not sure what to do. I'm about to dig into the manual.

THANK YOU for any help you can provide!!

:'(

EDIT: Just read through the troubleshooting part of the manual. I see nothing about failed firmware updates and nothing about just the release/hold light being on when turning the unit on. I'm an absolute moron for trying to update this. I just wanted to enjoy it after a long day at work.

EDIT2: I've passed the acceptance phase and have entered the anger phase. How does a $3400 synth not have any documentation stating how to get it in the bootloader mode and how is there no access to previous firmware versions? How is there no documentation telling me what one light after boot up means? I've been doing none stop digging and found that if you hold the mod wheel and pitch wheel up while booting a Prophet, you can enter bootloader mode. I cannot get this to work with my external keyboard that is connected via a MIDI cable.

My heart is sunk all the way to the bottom of my stomach and I just can't believe that after waiting all week for this and finally getting it today that it's now broken and I have to wait until Monday to be able to call them. For some reason, there are no buttons to hold during bootup to enter bootload mode or, even better, be able to do a factory reset. I planned this entire night out and have gone through an entire week of hell at work to get to this. I'm devastated. I sold all my other synths to get this and now I'm just sitting here with absolutely nothing except an expensive paperweight.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 06:23:01 PM by EnvidiaProductions »

I'd really appreciate some help here. I've been looking forward to playing with this thing all day. I finally got home and downloaded the OS 1.5.2 to update. I plugged it in via USB and followed the directions to update via MidiOx. The weird thing I noticed is that the OS sys ex file is named "prophet5_main_1.5.2.syx", but I looked it up and read that the OS was the same between the two.

I set the buffer output num and size to 1024. I watched it count up to 100 and then down from 10, but it didn't restart. I manually restarted it and now only the release/hold light turns on when I power it up. No other light nor the screen is on. I have no clue what to do and I'm bummed out beyond belief.

What is my next step here? This is my first Sequential product and I'm not sure what to do. I'm about to dig into the manual.

EDIT: Just read through the troubleshooting part of the manual. I see nothing about failed firmware updates and nothing about just the release/hold light being on when turning the unit on. I'm an absolute moron for trying to update this. I just wanted to enjoy it after a long day at work.

EDIT2: I've passed the acceptance phase and have entered the anger phase. How does a $3400 synth not have any documentation stating how to get it in the bootloader mode and how is there no access to previous firmware versions? How is there no documentation telling me what one light after boot up means? I've been doing none stop digging and found that if you hold the mod wheel and pitch wheel up while booting a Prophet, you can enter bootloader mode. I cannot get this to work with my external keyboard that is connected via a MIDI cable.

My heart is sunk all the way to the bottom of my stomach and I just can't believe that after waiting all week for this and finally getting it today that it's now broken and I have to wait until Monday to be able to call them. For some reason, there are no buttons to hold during bootup to enter bootload mode or, even better, be able to do a factory reset. I planned this entire night out and have gone through an entire week of hell at work to get to this. I'm devastated. I sold all my other synths to get this and now I'm just sitting here with absolutely nothing except an expensive paperweight.

I'm sorry you've had such a huge disappointment. I can't offer any tech advice (other than try emailing Sequential support - maybe an email has more chance of speedy response during the weekend?), but I hope you're able to get this sorted quickly. I had a couple small hangups when trying to update, but fortunately I had someone at Sequential quick on the draw and my issue was handled easily. Let's hope it's not far from that for you.

I'm sorry you've had such a huge disappointment. I can't offer any tech advice (other than try emailing Sequential support - maybe an email has more chance of speedy response during the weekend?), but I hope you're able to get this sorted quickly. I had a couple small hangups when trying to update, but fortunately I had someone at Sequential quick on the draw and my issue was handled easily. Let's hope it's not far from that for you.

Thanks you I appreciate that. I just realized that when I press and hold the aftertouch button the screen says 1.1.0

ddp

I'm sorry, I hope Sequential can help.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 10:32:10 PM by ddp »
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

Update: Connect Gate In and Out to access Bootloader. We are all good now! Thanks, everyone!

Weekend restored!  8)

I'm having the exact same issue, although I'm using sysexx librarian. I've tried adjusting the transmit speed and the machine goes through all the countdown modes, but is not restarting.  the OS is still saying the older version. I daren't turn the unit off in fear of it being bricked.   can you elaborate on what accessing the bootloader mode does? not sure what I should do atm. still leaving the machine on for now. thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

I decided to turn the machine off and back on, and it turns out the OS did upgrade to the new version.   Not sure why this happened.

This is from the instructions in top post of this forum "Newest Prophet 5/10 OS 1.5.2"  :

This OS is compatible with both the Prophet 5 and 10 keyboard Then Main OS will display as "1.5.2" after the update.

When the OS file is transmitted to the synth a count from 0 to 100 will be displayed on the synth's main display to indicate reception of the OS file.  Once the count reaches 100, a second count from 10 to 0 will commence indicating writing of the OS to internal memory. 

**DO NOT POWER THE SYNTH DOWN WHILE THE SECOND COUNTDOWN IS ACTIVE**

The synth will return to normal operating after the writing stage completes.  Power cycle the synth off and back on to finish the update.

ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR IMPORTANT WORK VIA SYSEX DUMP BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY OS UPDATES!!
Not that we're expecting bad things to happen, but always better safe than sorry. Just remember, you're never going to say to yourself "Man, I wish I hadn't backed that up..."

Cheers !
1976 MiniKORG700s // 1979 Prophet-5 rev.2 // 1981 KORG CX-3 // 1984 DX7 // 2020 Prophet-10 rev.4 // MoPho Box // 2 Creamware MiniMax // Creamware Pro-12 // 2 EMU-Proteus 2000 // EMU-Vintage Keys  // Casio VZ-10M // Roland VK-8M // Fatar SL 880 // Roland JUPITER-X

"I decided to turn the machine off and back on"

Classic.  Any IT Crowd fans in here? Enjoy your Prophet 10.  One day I shall have one of these.

"I decided to turn the machine off and back on"

Classic.  Any IT Crowd fans in here? Enjoy your Prophet 10.  One day I shall have one of these.
Love IT Crowd.

Re: Brand New Prophet 10 desktop module bricked after installing OS 1.5.2....
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 02:08:25 AM »
Update: Connect Gate In and Out to access Bootloader. We are all good now! Thanks, everyone!

Weekend restored!  8)

Can you please explain what the procedure is to get it to work again Prophet 10 (had mine 15 minutes and did the update to get it to boot to RELEASE HOLD RED LIGHT.

Re: Brand New Prophet 10 desktop module bricked after installing OS 1.5.2....
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 04:44:24 AM »

Weekend restored!  8)

Can you please explain what the procedure is to get it to work again Prophet 10 (had mine 15 minutes and did the update to get it to boot to RELEASE HOLD RED LIGHT.

The gate thing is probably the bootloader trick for the Moduls. They don’t have the wheels to go to bootloader mode.