P6 Crashing?

DiScO

P6 Crashing?
« on: June 05, 2016, 07:11:54 AM »
Hi Folks,

Got my P6 in the week, beautiful instrument! Updated to the new OS the other day and I'm getting the odd crash, everything just hangs and the only control that remains functional is the volume. Also been having some odd problems with the USB MIDI in Logic X, intermittent as it were. This prompted me to do a completely fresh installation and it seems ok for the moment but rather unusual. Using the good old DIN connection was absolutely fine. A brief video below, I'm no Steven Spielberg as you'll soon discover!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkoWUq2rdPA&feature=youtu.be

DiScO

Re: P6 Crashing?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 07:50:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the current version of Logic X. If I pop local on and use it standalone everything seems to work fine. It happens when I tweak the filters, LPF that is. I've never come across this before and it's a wildly annoying problem! I'm usually pretty good at trouble shooting but so far this has got me baffled! Any suggestions? I've tried turning bypassing all control surfaces off as was suggested else where but it hasn't helped.

Cheers.

DiScO

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 08:22:01 AM »
I've got none of this with my P12 though, plug and play, fine and dandy.

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 01:38:57 AM »
Could it be MIDI loop?

DiScO

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 11:03:13 AM »
Could it be MIDI loop?

Thanks, does seem like that but I've no idea where it could be coming from! Fresh installation of OS and Logic here so it's a very basic setup for testing at the moment. Cheers.

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 11:44:56 AM »
Could it be MIDI loop?

Thanks, does seem like that but I've no idea where it could be coming from! Fresh installation of OS and Logic here so it's a very basic setup for testing at the moment. Cheers.

Do you have any wires in your Audio-Midi-Setup? If so, remove them.
Be sure that the Prophet is not set to MIDI Clock Slave Thru.

DiScO

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 03:44:44 AM »
Thanks, no wires don't think I've ever used them, but I think I'm getting somewhere with this...

I have the P6 setup as follows - MIDI CH-1, MIDI Clock Off(for now), Clock Port USB, Param Xmit/Rcv nr, MIDI Control ON, MIDI Sysex USB, MIDI Out USB, Local Control is OFF.

The P6 cut out on me just now whilst playing a sound and the notes were hanging, these are the usual symptoms when it happens. By changing patch and switching Local 'ON' it was working again fine which suggested to me the USB MIDI connection had been dropped somehow. Upon entering the Audio / MIDI setup and clicking Rescan MIDI I was back in business so that is indeed what is happening here. I had a similar problem with my Virus TI sometime back but this was down to the MIDI drivers I recall, however with the P6 being class compliant it baffles me slightly.

I've been using it with a standard MIDI track in Logic X 10.2.2 with the audio coming through the console of my UAD apollo so there is nothing fancy going on here. I'm currently testing it as an external instrument to see if the same happens, I'll let you know. What do you guys make of this?

Cheers.

DiScO

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 03:55:39 AM »
Ok It does the same when using an external instrument plugin. If I go straight to Audio MIDI setup and rescan MIDI I'm working again straight away without touching anything on the synth so I guess we're not crashing here, note just hangs because of an abrupt disconnect I guess. This is happening when I'm tweaking parameters on the synth and playing, totally reproducible. I'm on OSX El Capitan 10.11.5. Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers.

P.S. Reset all MIDI drivers also works from within the Logic MIDI general preferences tab. Another quick additional bit of information, the P6 is still sending all MIDI data after this loss of playability as I can see incoming data in both the transport bar and clicks and ports window in the environment. It is like the oscillators etc inside the P6 are becoming disconnected from the USB part of the synth for want of a better description! Thanks.   
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 07:34:51 AM by DiScO »

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 12:35:46 PM »
Hello DiScO,

I can't reproduce this problem on Logic 10.1 and I don't think it is a problem of logic itself.
Do you have only the USB connection on the P6 or the MIDI Cables too?
Do you have any remote controllers setup in Logic?
If you like you can send me a Logic Project.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 12:41:30 PM by Wolfram »

DiScO

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 02:37:55 PM »
Thanks Wolfram,

I've just completed another fresh installation as I was so new on the other one it didn't matter and the same thing happens. I only have the P6 connected directly to the Mac Pro usb port, no din, nothing else usb just thunderbolt  HDD, UAD apollo. It's the only connected midi device showing in audio midi setup, as you'd expect. I notice you are on 10.1. I mention this as midi behaviour changed between a normal midi track and instrument track (with regards to patch change, possibly more) but I can't remember when that occurred, I'm on 10.2.2. Again, my P12 doesn't do it and neither do any of my other synths so make of that what you will. I've contacted support earlier today and am awaiting a response but the support page was down earlier. Thanks for the interest, appreciated.

And as a side note, it only happens when editing parameters, particularly with the LFO frequency / shape knobs but also with the filters. It's like too much information is being sent / received back and it freaks out. Cheers.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 02:55:52 PM by DiScO »

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 01:06:31 AM »
Be sure that the Project Settings / Midi is Midi thru is set to non.
And turn Local off on the P6.

DiScO

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 05:48:07 AM »
Be sure that the Project Settings / Midi is Midi thru is set to non.
And turn Local off on the P6.

Thanks, they have always both been off which is why I'm so thrown by this one!