Wobbly Pot/Knobs

Wobbly Pot/Knobs
« on: June 17, 2021, 02:20:42 AM »
First of all. Love this synth.
Second. Just wondering if the pots are supposed to be wobbly? Like not sturdy like the pro3 or even like a korg prologue.

I was wondering how much it would cost to get the knobs and pots checked out.
When I was taking my OB out of the box I noticed the plastic bag on it had holes near the knobs as if they had broken through due to do pressure during transport.

Anyways. Hope someone can help me out. Thanks.

Re: Wobbly Pot/Knobs
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 09:39:06 AM »
Iv'e asked this question before and got in contact with support about any possible ways to fix the wobble. DSI do not consider this an issue (it poses no threat to the functioning of the knobs) so you just have to live with it unfortunately. I keep checking back in to see if anyone has found a way to fix it but no luck.

Unless you are super gentle it gets worse, 90% of my knobs are now really wobbly and I hate it. Some people get lucky, thats why DSI will tell you it's all within the expected tolerances of this particular pot/knob combination.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 11:49:37 AM »
Hey. Thanks for the reply. I really feel the knobs/pots are lacking in the way they feel. They work fine but i dont want to "rev" on them or do anything too quick. Atleast thats how i feel even though i will try to forget the feeling and just continue on with it.

I really hope the Prophet5's knobs arent like this. Also if they do a OB reissue i really hope they dont use these same pots/knobs.

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 12:00:01 PM »
Hey. Thanks for the reply. I really feel the knobs/pots are lacking in the way they feel. They work fine but i dont want to "rev" on them or do anything too quick. Atleast thats how i feel even though i will try to forget the feeling and just continue on with it.

I really hope the Prophet5's knobs arent like this. Also if they do a OB reissue i really hope they dont use these same pots/knobs.

My P6 has one or two slightly loose knobs, but nothing extreme. My rev4 P5 is as sturdy as my rev3, knobs-wise.

MPM

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 08:23:58 PM »
First of all. Love this synth.
Second. Just wondering if the pots are supposed to be wobbly?
Anyways. Hope someone can help me out. Thanks.

Many OB~6 and Prophet~6, keys and modules, have wobbly knobs.
I got the same "cop it sweet mate, they're just like that" reply from DSI.
Well no, that's bullshit. So I just kept returning Prophet~6's until I finally got one with solid knobs. On the module the filter knob was so loose that the shop owner exclaimed that it was like a fcuking joystick!
Altogether, I returned two keyboards and one module. I was about to give up, but lucky number four was a keeper, and the knobs are still rock solid now after years of use.
It's no secret that they got stuck with poor quality pot supply. They don't manufacture them so no blame on DSI there. But, we are paying top dollar for the damn things so if you're not happy keep returning it till you get one you're happy with.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 08:28:50 PM by MPM »
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 08:07:26 AM »
Oh damn...
I'm not sure what to do. Its comming up to a year having this guy and honestly it doesnt feel the greatest to use. I love the sound but the Filter Envelope Amount Knob is just wobble as well as the X-Mod Env, resonance knob, and even some buttons feel hard to push like the number 2.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 12:53:00 PM »
Whats the cause of this? I had this issue with a p12 keyboard, p6 keyboard and ob6 keyboard, were certain knobs became wobbly, still worked fine, seemed like they were off centre slightly, pro 3 went overboard rectifying it still super stiff after a year, p10 keyboard is perfect

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 08:28:00 AM »
My arpeggiator button often doesn't engage and I have to push it from a certain angle, this I can live with, but the wobbly knobs are such a downer. I'd be willing to pay for replacements if they were rock solid, or potentially swap over ones that are solid on functions I use less for the wobbly ones on functions like filter etc. I really think DSI need to come up with a solution for this, it's just not on. Look how cheap this looks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sm161VI1oM

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 03:45:35 AM »
My arpeggiator button often doesn't engage and I have to push it from a certain angle, this I can live with, but the wobbly knobs are such a downer. I'd be willing to pay for replacements if they were rock solid, or potentially swap over ones that are solid on functions I use less for the wobbly ones on functions like filter etc. I really think DSI need to come up with a solution for this, it's just not on. Look how cheap this looks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sm161VI1oM

It’s a thing that did put me off P6/OB-6. I returned my Pro 2 as a couple of pots went looser than this after just two weeks of very careful use. Thankfully the Pro 3 and Prophet 10 don’t suffer from this issue and seem pretty solid.

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 08:10:27 AM »
Yeah one of my effects knobs wobbles like crazy on my PX. Sad Sequential doesn't have a solution for this.

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 09:58:36 AM »
I would honestly pay a bit extra just to have a fix for this.
Like for me its like 6 knobs/Pots I'd want fixed up. The other ones aren't so bad. Id even be willing to pay shipping, and I live in Canada.

If they ever released a solution to this, I'd be down.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2021, 10:47:20 AM »
Totally agree, I work for a company that make electronic instruments so I know how things like this can happen - particularly when outsourcing parts/components. But to tell a customer "it's not a problem" when they are telling you it's a problem to them seems like a bit of sh!tty move.

I'd also be willing to pay to have a set of solid knobs sent over, they could do it at cost price with us covering the postage. I plan on keeping this synth forever which is why I'd fork out even more money to have it feel good to play. Fingers crossed..

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2021, 03:25:59 PM »
Totally agree, I work for a company that make electronic instruments so I know how things like this can happen - particularly when outsourcing parts/components. But to tell a customer "it's not a problem" when they are telling you it's a problem to them seems like a bit of sh!tty move.

I'd also be willing to pay to have a set of solid knobs sent over, they could do it at cost price with us covering the postage. I plan on keeping this synth forever which is why I'd fork out even more money to have it feel good to play. Fingers crossed..

I mean...what exactly is Sequential's response when the knob wiggles off completely? I think that's the main concern people are having. It's not an issue "NOW" but when it is....what then?

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2021, 01:25:30 PM »
I really don't think it will wiggle off completely, my gripe is how it feels to play and interact with. Knob per-function, fantastic layout, it's designed to be "played" and designed to be experimented with when creating patches which is one of the reasons I bought it.

Having it feel all wibbly-wobbly in hand, with certain knobs having much less resistance than others is just disappointing and takes away from the experience of using it. They should just take on board what people are saying and offer a solution (even if it does mean the customer paying for replacements)

I mean...what exactly is Sequential's response when the knob wiggles off completely? I think that's the main concern people are having. It's not an issue "NOW" but when it is....what then?

pfrf

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2021, 10:14:05 AM »
Sequential QC sucks, lets admit it.  Hopefully Focusrite will bring some discipline to the manufacturing process, but maybe they'll just cut more corners instead.  Who knows? 

I have an OB-6 bought new that came with a skippy encoder.  I don't have wobbly knobs...yet.  I think it's time for me to sell this thing before the trouble starts.  Besides the disappointment you feel every time you use it, issues like this negatively affect the resale value.  I wouldn't buy a used OB-6 with knobs that are broken like that.

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2021, 02:19:45 PM »
Besides the disappointment you feel every time you use it...

Except for the lack of voices and inability to control modulation amounts separately sometimes (it should definitely have been an 8 voice), I've never felt a disappointment every time I use my OB6.

That being said, I will admit that when the Behringer UB-Xa will finally be available, and IF it sounds exactly like an OB-Xa, there a good chance that I'll probably get rid of my OB6. AND I'll still have money left over to get more gear as a bonus!
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

LPF83

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2021, 04:32:26 PM »
Besides the disappointment you feel every time you use it...

Except for the lack of voices and inability to control modulation amounts separately sometimes (it should definitely have been an 8 voice), I've never felt a disappointment every time I use my OB6.

That being said, I will admit that when the Behringer UB-Xa will finally be available, and IF it sounds exactly like an OB-Xa, there a good chance that I'll probably get rid of my OB6. AND I'll still have money left over to get more gear as a bonus!

A proper reissue of the Prophet 5, using the same parts came and created by the same original designer was released, and you said it doesn't sound authentic (contrary to the opinions of those that actually own both). 

Given that discount Behringer synths mass produced on assembly lines in China have a reputation for sound quality that lies somewhere in between a VST virtual knock off and the actual synth they are trying to imitate in terms of raw tone (not counting the FX from TC electronics which Behringer purchased and I'm told are decent sounding), what do you think the chances are that the UBXa will both be considered equal to a vintage Oberheim, and also last more than 15 years?  Meanwhile the OB-6 you will have sold for less than you paid will likely be worth $12k or more 20 years from now.

Do you think that perhaps the allure of a low purchase price could be introducing personal bias into your evaluation of what sounds good?   Not saying this is a bad thing, there has always been a market for discount music, because those phone menu systems that put you on hold tend to resist high royalty costs, and someone waiting to complain about their cable or internet bill is typically not expecting to listen to good music while on hold anyway.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2021, 10:00:14 PM »
Frankly, the price doesn't really matter that much to me. I would have been willing to pay even more for an OB6 with 8 voices. Because it sounds really good.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

LPF83

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2021, 04:38:14 AM »
Frankly, the price doesn't really matter that much to me. I would have been willing to pay even more for an OB6 with 8 voices. Because it sounds really good.

If price isn't a consideration, why a preference for Behringer gear?  I'm bringing this up because in many posts you seem down on Sequential products, but hot on Behringer synths.

In terms of selling your OB-6 to get a cheaper B-synth in order to free up cash for more synths, well its your choice but most of the time when someone sells a synth they truly love, they end up regretting it later and/or repurchasing.

I've seen plenty of videos and threads where someone said "this B-synth sounds almost like the real thing" but I've never seen a single one of either where someone said a B-product sounded better than their Sequential gear.  Not one.  I don't know why anyone would think the UB-Xa is going to be some miracle product that bucks Uli's trend of mediocre sound.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2021, 03:37:46 AM »
Mine is almost a year old and all my knobs are fine. Push button switches are fine too, but I've had them fail on other gear, and even on my Keurig coffee maker. Any mechanical switch will fail eventually; it just depends on how much it gets used.

If/when your OB6 is out of warranty, you could try to replace the pots and/or pushbuttons yourself, if you're any good working with circuit boards. It's just a matter of unsoldering the old and soldering in the new. You WILL need a decent soldering iron (forget that Radio Shack garbage iron and buy/borrow a temp controlled soldering station, like Weller. Buy some soldering wicks to remove the old solder (works way better than those suction bulbs.)

You can then use your soldering skills to make your own audio cables, buying a roll of Mogami cable (the best) and good quality connectors. I bought a 50' roll of W2524 for about $1/ft off Amazon, but before chopping it up I installed a Guitar plug on each end and plugged my guitar into my Fender amp. No hum or any noise at all with the amp turned up to 'patent pending,' (an old ZZ Top line.) I was tempted to leave it at 50' should the occasion arise for such a long length.

Mogami makes the best cable ever, and is priced accordingly. Just look at the price of their premade cables; $8-$10 per foot.