The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

Wobbly Pot/Knobs

Re: Wobbly Pot/Knobs
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2021, 09:18:37 AM »
Thread seems to be getting derailed here but let's be honest, the Behringer clones sound bang on in nearly all cases. Anyone saying they don't is talking rubbish. Same goes for the newest generation of plugins, no way you can hear the difference. This makes how a synth feels in hand even more important imo, which is what this thread is about.

Whilst we're Behringer bashing, I can tell you for a fact the pots on my ms101 are far sturdier then the majority on my ob6. Only time will tell how well these synths hold up but let's not make assumptions. Do I think Behringer are a nice company? No! But I'm typing this on my Apple laptop, so go figure! 

Would be good to keep this thread focused on the issue here, which is crappy knobs on a 2,500 synth.

Besides the disappointment you feel every time you use it...

Except for the lack of voices and inability to control modulation amounts separately sometimes (it should definitely have been an 8 voice), I've never felt a disappointment every time I use my OB6.

That being said, I will admit that when the Behringer UB-Xa will finally be available, and IF it sounds exactly like an OB-Xa, there a good chance that I'll probably get rid of my OB6. AND I'll still have money left over to get more gear as a bonus!

A proper reissue of the Prophet 5, using the same parts came and created by the same original designer was released, and you said it doesn't sound authentic (contrary to the opinions of those that actually own both). 

Given that discount Behringer synths mass produced on assembly lines in China have a reputation for sound quality that lies somewhere in between a VST virtual knock off and the actual synth they are trying to imitate in terms of raw tone (not counting the FX from TC electronics which Behringer purchased and I'm told are decent sounding), what do you think the chances are that the UBXa will both be considered equal to a vintage Oberheim, and also last more than 15 years?  Meanwhile the OB-6 you will have sold for less than you paid will likely be worth $12k or more 20 years from now.

Do you think that perhaps the allure of a low purchase price could be introducing personal bias into your evaluation of what sounds good?   Not saying this is a bad thing, there has always been a market for discount music, because those phone menu systems that put you on hold tend to resist high royalty costs, and someone waiting to complain about their cable or internet bill is typically not expecting to listen to good music while on hold anyway.

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2021, 04:05:48 PM »
Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller), Prophet REV2-16, DeepMind 12, VC340

LPF83

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2021, 04:26:19 PM »
Even the inventor of the Roland VP330, Noriyasu San, endorses the Behringer VC340. Enough said.

https://ask.audio/articles/inventor-of-roland-vp330-plays-endorses-behringer-clone-vc340-vocoder?fbclid=IwAR3Sv9iALcICSNrL_l7WHpmk-bAtEk6b9qYFpsJ7eX8uMA0F2M0Bfy4yvJA

The article said he was pleased.  If I were 90 years old, and saw others imitating machines I created decade prior, I would be pleased too, because imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.  It doesn't mean that Behringer clones sound as good as the originals.

I'm not saying no Behringer synths ever sound good..  I've heard videos of the Pro-1 that were quite good (but it comes at the expense of tiny knobs so for my needs AS-1 is a better module).  Many of their products are probably worth what they are asking.  Its just that so many videos I've heard of their synths, there is this raw tonal quality to the oscillators that I hear in almost all of them that is just irritating.  I know it can be buried in FX, the harshness EQ'd away and all that... but it seems like everytime they release a product I hear that horrible tone again.  Its like its the same synth every time in a different case.  I don't like them as a company... if they came out with a synth that really offered something I wanted and couldn't get elsewhere, I might put politics aside for the sake of music creation, but so far it hasn't happened.

I honestly don't think Behringer is interested in making top notch instruments.  I think they have realized that some folks prefer G.A.S. churn... they need to be always buying new toys in order to stay motivated to create.  By offering lots of new models constantly at low price points (at the expense of refinement of each instrument and making it the best it can be), Uli is feeding that addiction.  It's actually smart from a business strategy perspective, it's just not the way to go down in history as a maker of great instruments.

Prophet 10, Prophet 6, OB-6, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland SPD-30, Roland SPD-SX Special Edition, Roland KT-10, Maschine, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen + Octopre, Strymon Pedals, Cubase Pro 11.

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2021, 10:38:24 PM »
Didn't I end my last post with: Enough said?  ;)

This is a Sequential forum. Despite having bought a few Behringer products myself, I still love the sound of my OB6 Desktop unit, which is far better than my Prophet REV2 soundwise (to my taste anyway), and on which there are no wobbly pots after a few years of use in my personal studio.

But then again, I take care of my beloved, and expensive instruments. Only once, in all of this time, did I get a nonresponsive Tens/Select button, which was rapidly fixed by repeatedly and vigorously press it several times (as was recommended by DSI support team at the time) to clear out some slight oxidation/dirt on the contacts of the TACT switch.

Maybe the upcoming UB-Xa will match, or even perhaps surpass my OB6 when it finally becomes available? Who knows? But for now, alongside my vintage Minimoog D, the OB6 is my polyphonic centerpiece in my set-up.
Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller), Prophet REV2-16, DeepMind 12, VC340