8DIO and Sample Packs Generally

8DIO and Sample Packs Generally
« on: June 15, 2021, 07:20:27 AM »
Regarding 8DIO packs for the Prophet X it looks like a very paltry effort considering that this was meant to be an ongoing partnership between them and Sequential / DSI. The available packs are only synths plus one piano, none of which interest me, and it looks like there aren't going to be any others on the way. So from that perspective it looks like a dead end in terms of 8DIO Prophet X specific samples. So considering this I have a couple of questions for those who have experience of the Prophet X:

1. 8DIO seem to have some way more interesting sample packs available but generally look like they are for things like Kontakt etc. Can these sample packs be used with the Prophet X? Or are there certain limitations?

2. The same question really, but for any other 3rd party suppliers of sample packs. Can they be used with the Prophet X, or is there certain configuration or setup that needs to be performed to make samples work on the Prophet X?

As you can probably tell I am trying to figure out how much scope there is for loading samples into the Prophet X or not!

Any help much appreciated.

Re: 8DIO and Sample Packs Generally
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 06:21:00 PM »
I recently got my prophet X. I bought the cp70 add on from 8dio and I have to say was not super impressed so far. I am also mystified that it’s not possible to buy basically every sample pack that 8dio has for the PX.

I am not amazing at creating multisamples but I have been building them using sample robot pro. I have been concentrating on sampling VSTs with far out sounds that are different than what I have in hardware.

But I won’t be able to do acoustic sampling work, it’s just not my skill set.

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 01:27:25 AM »
I recently got my prophet X. I bought the cp70 add on from 8dio and I have to say was not super impressed so far. I am also mystified that it’s not possible to buy basically every sample pack that 8dio has for the PX.

I am not amazing at creating multisamples but I have been building them using sample robot pro. I have been concentrating on sampling VSTs with far out sounds that are different than what I have in hardware.

Thanks for the reply! I too do not understand the 8DIO packs and why they cannot be used.

This is the part of the Prophet X which is a mystery to me, which I just can't seem to get a straight answer on...

Does anyone know what the limitations are? I understand that you can load your own samples - and if I got a Prophet X I would definitely do some of this - but I would also be massively interested in loading sample packs. But I just cannot figure out what can and cannot be used with a Prophet X.

Any help most welcome..!

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 03:02:10 AM »

Thanks for the reply! I too do not understand the 8DIO packs and why they cannot be used.

This is the part of the Prophet X which is a mystery to me, which I just can't seem to get a straight answer on...

Does anyone know what the limitations are? I understand that you can load your own samples - and if I got a Prophet X I would definitely do some of this - but I would also be massively interested in loading sample packs. But I just cannot figure out what can and cannot be used with a Prophet X.

Any help most welcome..!

There are a few sample packs you can buy from 8dio. And a couple that are out there to buy from other people but only a few. It seems like if the Prophet X could load lots of different sample formats it would be a really huge improvement. Imagine being able to load sf2 format. But others thst are not open I guess are subject to licensing costs. If I were working on a tight budget I would try to support some open formats to ty to leverage those. I hope the new owners see the PX as an undervalued part of thei portfolio, it could be very competitive with a lot of different products with a bit more work.

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 07:06:22 AM »
You are right in saying that not all 8DIO sample packs are compatible with the Prophet X. In fact, as far as I can see, they are mostly for use with Kontakt. I purchased and downloaded their Slavic choir pack (don’t remember the exact name offhand) because it is the best I have heard. I also scored free downloads of all of their synth samples for the Prophet X on a coupon deal a couple of months ago which, unfortunately, is no more. One thing that you could possibly do to get the 8DIO Kontakt samples would be to sample them in your DAW, save as wavs, and import into Lady Gaia’s excellent PxToolkit for the Prophet X. This is what I plan to do with the choir … once the garden is done, the grandkids are back off to school, the external house maintenance is done etc.  :)
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 10:23:33 AM »
You are right in saying that not all 8DIO sample packs are compatible with the Prophet X. In fact, as far as I can see, they are mostly for use with Kontakt. I purchased and downloaded their Slavic choir pack (don’t remember the exact name offhand) because it is the best I have heard. I also scored free downloads of all of their synth samples for the Prophet X on a coupon deal a couple of months ago which, unfortunately, is no more. One thing that you could possibly do to get the 8DIO Kontakt samples would be to sample them in your DAW, save as wavs, and import into Lady Gaia’s excellent PxToolkit for the Prophet X. This is what I plan to do with the choir … once the garden is done, the grandkids are back off to school, the external house maintenance is done etc.  :)

SampleRobot also has the ability to directly sample VSTs and export directly to PX format.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 07:27:48 PM »

SampleRobot also has the ability to directly sample VSTs and export directly to PX format.

I have sampled from

Pigments
Synthi V
Buchla easel

Using sample robot and loaded the samples onto my PX. Samplerobot makes it a lot easier.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 06:58:30 AM »
I took a quick look at Samplerobot and it does indeed look pretty good. I’m especially interested in its ability to automate things. Unfortunately, it’s a bit pricey for me, especially for a piece of software that I would probably use pretty infrequently (sigh).
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.