Filter feelings

Filter feelings
« on: June 07, 2021, 05:49:11 PM »
Now that the new Prophet 5 has been out for a while we've had a chance to settle in with it, I'm curious how much focus there is on the two filter modes. Before the rev 4 was released, the legend always said that the rev 2 filter was superior to the rev 3 etc. I had a rev 2 from around 1989, but I didn't know it at the time. It was a Prophet 5, it sounded great, and that was all I knew. It was only in recent years that I became aware of the "battle of the revisions." Now that I have a rev 4, I find the whole filter concern to be of no concern. I flip between them based on what suits the moment, without nearly as much bias as I'd expected. Same with the Vintage knob. I'll often set it between 2 and 3, but then again back down to 4. Maybe it's too much time spent with the cleaner-sounding P6!

Anyway, I'm wondering how others are working with their new P5s in regards to the filter options.

LPF83

Re: Filter feelings
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 05:55:05 PM »
Now that the new Prophet 5 has been out for a while we've had a chance to settle in with it, I'm curious how much focus there is on the two filter modes. Before the rev 4 was released, the legend always said that the rev 2 filter was superior to the rev 3 etc. I had a rev 2 from around 1989, but I didn't know it at the time. It was a Prophet 5, it sounded great, and that was all I knew. It was only in recent years that I became aware of the "battle of the revisions." Now that I have a rev 4, I find the whole filter concern to be of no concern. I flip between them based on what suits the moment, without nearly as much bias as I'd expected. Same with the Vintage knob. I'll often set it between 2 and 3, but then again back down to 4. Maybe it's too much time spent with the cleaner-sounding P6!

Anyway, I'm wondering how others are working with their new P5s in regards to the filter options.

I think having both filter types is one of the greatest features of the Rev4, I use them both all the time for different reasons.  If I had one or the other type I would still be happy to have a Prophet.  I never get into battles or one upmanship about anything on synth forums, because I consider myself a perpetual student and to me music is an art, not a sport, so never a reason to compete.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC