New Sequential Patent - Take 5

LPF83

Re: New Sequential Patent - Take 5
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2021, 11:38:19 AM »
So basically a Prophet 5 w/ small keyboard, only one filter type and smaller patch memory, but with sequencer and arp, stereo, more polymod waveshapes, and a third of the cost ($1,250 according to Matrixsynth... is wood really that expensive nowdays?).

https://www.matrixsynth.com/2021/08/new-sequential-take-5-five-voice-poly.html

Seems like an attempt to address the perception that Sequential synths cost too much.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

chysn

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2021, 11:39:19 AM »
You know.....on second thought, I understand it. It's more a successor to the MophoX4 than a Poly Pro 3 or modern Prophet 5 or whatever. It's a stripped down, basic, lower tier analog poly synth.  It's more for people who are primarily playing another instrument and just want a basic analog poly synth next to them to play a few chords. Nothing elaborate or expensive.

Yeah, as a successor to the X4 it looks pretty nice. I wonder what kind of matrix lies beneath the mod source and mod destination buttons.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2021, 12:26:38 PM »
So basically a Prophet 5 w/ small keyboard, only one filter type and smaller patch memory, but with sequencer and arp, stereo, more polymod waveshapes, and a third of the cost ($1,250 according to Matrixsynth... is wood really that expensive nowdays?).

Seems like an attempt to address the perception that Sequential synths cost too much.

Yes the cost of lumber and wood has skyrocketed during the pandemic. In the film industry a lot of set builders are struggling now because they had to increase their overhead.

Also it's more a Prophet 6 than Prophet 5, especially with the variable VCO waveshapes. If anything it's just a Prophet 6 but with less memory, one less voice, smaller keybed and more condensed format.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 12:28:27 PM by LoboLives »

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2021, 12:29:43 PM »
You know.....on second thought, I understand it. It's more a successor to the MophoX4 than a Poly Pro 3 or modern Prophet 5 or whatever. It's a stripped down, basic, lower tier analog poly synth.  It's more for people who are primarily playing another instrument and just want a basic analog poly synth next to them to play a few chords. Nothing elaborate or expensive.

Yeah, as a successor to the X4 it looks pretty nice. I wonder what kind of matrix lies beneath the mod source and mod destination buttons.

If there is a Mod Matrix at all, it's likely incredibly smaller compared to the P12/Pro 3/PX/REV 2 etc.

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2021, 12:48:51 PM »
I'm a big fan of them deciding to go with 16 patch select buttons on the bottom. It makes live situations much easier. I love my Pro 3 to death but the way they implemented playlist mode is far from ideal (only four buttons and the knob to change lists is right next to the knob that controls which patch is mapped to that slot)

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2021, 12:58:47 PM »
I'm a big fan of them deciding to go with 16 patch select buttons on the bottom. It makes live situations much easier. I love my Pro 3 to death but the way they implemented playlist mode is far from ideal (only four buttons and the knob to change lists is right next to the knob that controls which patch is mapped to that slot)

Yes! This is something that was missing for far too long in the REV 2, Prophet X, Pro 3. I do wish it was the classic Prophet 5/6/OB6 patch buttons though. Hope we see those again on a future Sequential synth.

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2021, 01:00:33 PM »
I will say though, I absolutely HATE the Filter cutoff knob being that size on a poly synth. For a mono synth....sure....but a poly synth? Eh looks tacky.

LPF83

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2021, 01:14:49 PM »

Yes the cost of lumber and wood has skyrocketed during the pandemic. In the film industry a lot of set builders are struggling now because they had to increase their overhead.

Also it's more a Prophet 6 than Prophet 5, especially with the variable VCO waveshapes. If anything it's just a Prophet 6 but with less memory, one less voice, smaller keybed and more condensed format.

The Matrixsynth article says its a Prophet 5 Rev4 filter (I assume basically the Rev3 one), which IMO would have more influence over the sound than the other factors.  I haven't seen info on whether the VCOs are the P5 type or the P6 type, but they do sound different.  I can see it being marketed as a cheaper P6 though.. the 44 keys of course conjures images of a beefed up Mopho x4.  I'm sure positioning it in that gray area between other products was part of Dave's plan.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2021, 01:22:34 PM »
I will say though, I absolutely HATE the Filter cutoff knob being that size on a poly synth. For a mono synth....sure....but a poly synth? Eh looks tacky.

I never liked the knobs on the Pro3 at all -- not because of the size, just the appearance.  I'm sure they're fine feel-wise, and it's not the reason I haven't bought one -- I also haven't ruled out buying a Pro3 one day.. it's just that I already have those three filter types covered on other synths.  The main reason I never went for a Pro3 was simply physical space.  I would be willing to make room for an OBX/Xa, but anything less than that I'm not sure.

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2021, 01:23:55 PM »
If the official Sequential video isn't a cover of this played on this synth then Sequential is missing out....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Eh8wNMkw

LPF83

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2021, 01:25:06 PM »

I'm assuming one reason they did that is to use them as double duty sequencer rest/tie buttons, but maybe not.

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2021, 01:35:09 PM »

The Matrixsynth article says its a Prophet 5 Rev4 filter (I assume basically the Rev3 one), which IMO would have more influence over the sound than the other factors.  I haven't seen info on whether the VCOs are the P5 type or the P6 type, but they do sound different.  I can see it being marketed as a cheaper P6 though.. the 44 keys of course conjures images of a beefed up Mopho x4.  I'm sure positioning it in that gray area between other products was part of Dave's plan.

Well the P6 has variable waveshapes with the Prophet 5 they are multi-selectable so it's going to sound sonically different by nature.

I wonder if the value range of the filter though. The P5 type filter only went up to a certain value, I'm assuming this is going to have a higher range.

Also is there a different between the filter in the Prophet 5 Rev 4 and the ones used in the Prophet 6 and Prophet X? It was my understanding they are all the same P-5 based filter.

LPF83

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2021, 01:54:48 PM »

Well the P6 has variable waveshapes with the Prophet 5 they are multi-selectable so it's going to sound sonically different by nature.

I wonder if the value range of the filter though. The P5 type filter only went up to a certain value, I'm assuming this is going to have a higher range.

Also is there a different between the filter in the Prophet 5 Rev 4 and the ones used in the Prophet 6 and Prophet X? It was my understanding they are all the same P-5 based filter.

Even if you listen to just a plain saw wave, there are detectable differences in the VCO chips in the Rev4 and the P6.
The Rev4 filters are another story... switching between the rev 1/2 and the rev 3 filter are such different beasts that its like having two synths in one.  The rev 3 filter is closer in nature to the P6 filter, but they are still different.   Even just crafting the most basic of bass patches, it takes a certain amount of effort to make the Rev4 and P6 sound similar.  The videos where folks have shown the similarities were possible because they were intentionally trying to make them sound the same.  There's just something different in the filters, envelopes, parameter response etc.

LPF83

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2021, 02:14:00 PM »

Also, are you basing that on the Starsky Carr video?  I believe he forgot to open up the filter all the way if I recall correctly.  If I EQ both filters wide open, the Rev4 tops out at around 22.3khz+  (maybe even a little higher than the P6)..  The overall harmonic spectrum of the Rev4 looks "purer", I don't know if this accounts for the slightly harsher sound of the P6 or not.

Update:  Correction, just watched Starsky's vid again... he did explain the differences correctly, my memory might have been failing.  Basically just know the Rev4 is no less bright than the P6, it might be a tad bit brighter (well outside my hearing range though so it wont matter)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 02:20:28 PM by LPF83 »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2021, 07:29:35 PM »
As a monophonic instrument, I like it; as polyphonic, not really.  But it needs wood sides.  I'd say it has potential to fill a void in the Sequential line up.  It's encouraging to see the company reconsider smaller more reasonably-priced synthesizers.  Something for the little people with thin wallets.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 07:34:50 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2021, 08:41:57 PM »
I still don't get the name.

I think "Poly 5" would have been a bit better.

But Take 5? There's no picture of Dave Brubeck. It also has nothing to do with rhythm or taking a break or anything associated with that name. The hell does Take 5 mean?

chysn

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2021, 11:26:36 PM »

But Take 5? There's no picture of Dave Brubeck. It also has nothing to do with rhythm or taking a break or anything associated with that name. The hell does Take 5 mean?

It’s a common expression with the number 5 in it. It doesn’t need a deep dive. “Poly n” is more Korg territory.

If this had been around instead of Pro 3, I could see myself with one of these. It has a nice set of features, and I’m sure it sounds great.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2021, 12:07:51 AM »

Take 5 = the fifth take on a product (i.e. fifth version/iteration) = Prophet Rev 5. Also, taking (5).

Also alluding to being a next step from the Mopho x4.

Taking a break from using the Prophet moniker.

Dave taking a (permanent) break from  running the company.

An exhortation to take these five voices.

I’d have liked to have taken five octaves though.

There are several interpretations which make sense.

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2021, 12:10:22 AM »
As a monophonic instrument, I like it; as polyphonic, not really.  But it needs wood sides.  I'd say it has potential to fill a void in the Sequential line up.  It's encouraging to see the company reconsider smaller more reasonably-priced synthesizers.  Something for the little people with thin wallets.

Interestingly the photos from the site which posted them had “take 5 standard” in the metadata so I wonder if there’s an SE counterpart, though I doubt it, due to the position of the wheels.

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2021, 01:24:40 AM »
If it’s not fake news: Has Focusrite now started to transform Sequential products from premium instrument to budget instruments? Remember the 80s when Sequential Circuits started out with premium instrument and ended up with budget instruments before they were no more. Hope I’m wrong.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 01:26:58 AM by Analog Prophet »