Pro 2 Waveforms sound distorted

Pro 2 Waveforms sound distorted
« on: June 03, 2016, 09:17:55 AM »
 Heya..

so i have been playing around with paraphonic mode and wanted to get a reference if its normal that a lot of the Waveforms sound distorted / scratchy when played one or two notes at a time.
My unit had some other issues before (used one) thats why im asking.

Made a clean patch setup "Mellow" for example and played a bit. What I am hearing is like a distortion of some kind which happens for me on almost every waveform. The sound is more dominant on the right side. It does not really matter what I play or adjust its almost always audible.

I attached a small sample...if any1 could give it a listen .. thanks !

Ableton Live 9 | Push 2

Re: Pro 2 Waveforms sound distorted
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 10:12:42 AM »
Heya..

so i have been playing around with paraphonic mode and wanted to get a reference if its normal that a lot of the Waveforms sound distorted / scratchy when played one or two notes at a time.
My unit had some other issues before (used one) thats why im asking.

Made a clean patch setup "Mellow" for example and played a bit. What I am hearing is like a distortion of some kind which happens for me on almost every waveform. The sound is more dominant on the right side. It does not really matter what I play or adjust its almost always audible.

I attached a small sample...if any1 could give it a listen .. thanks !

I can check that for you later today. One thing I can tell you already is that I've never recognized any difference with regard to how the wave forms sound in mono and paraphonic mode.

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 04:42:34 PM »
appreciated, thanks!

Yeah its present in mono mode also but not as strong..
No idea if Links are allowed sorry if not.

http://www31.zippyshare.com/v/cVTPxIIi/file.html
1:23 min of playing mostly triads and switching the waveforms.

No clipping no effects no modulation.
To be honest it just sounds broken to me.
Ableton Live 9 | Push 2

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 05:53:36 PM »
appreciated, thanks!

Okay, I listened to both files. The waveforms themselves sound fine, but there seems to be occasional clipping happening. What's your setting for the parameter QUAD LEVEL?

If I turn that all the way up, I can get some clipping too. Same for the single oscillator's levels in mono mode. Don't go over the top with those levels, otherwise the signal will be too hot, especially if you add delays and nasty feedback stuff.

So try to dial in lower level settings in either mode - paraphonic and monophonic - and let me know how it goes.

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 10:00:53 AM »
appreciated, thanks!

Okay, I listened to both files. The waveforms themselves sound fine, but there seems to be occasional clipping happening. What's your setting for the parameter QUAD LEVEL?

If I turn that all the way up, I can get some clipping too. Same for the single oscillator's levels in mono mode. Don't go over the top with those levels, otherwise the signal will be too hot, especially if you add delays and nasty feedback stuff.

So try to dial in lower level settings in either mode - paraphonic and monophonic - and let me know how it goes.

yeah tried chaning the setting to like 10 but its still there. Tried it with Headphones and for sure its there . What I am guessing is that I have a faulty unit because as I got it some screws where already missing and it made a sound inside when i picked it up.. or is it really just the background noise of the synth? Maybe im interpretating it wrong..

But thanks for your help !
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 10:36:44 AM by Cassandra »
Ableton Live 9 | Push 2

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 12:14:16 PM »
yeah tried chaning the setting to like 10 but its still there. Tried it with Headphones and for sure its there . What I am guessing is that I have a faulty unit because as I got it some screws where already missing and it made a sound inside when i picked it up.. or is it really just the background noise of the synth? Maybe im interpretating it wrong..

That doesn't sound right. It should disappear way above that value, depending on what the other settings are like of course.

Write DSI an email and I'm sure you can sort it out. In the worst case, you might have to swap the main board. They may also send you some replacement screws.

support@davesmithinstruments.com

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 03:23:02 PM »
appreciated, thanks!

Hello there,

Having this same problem.

did you ever find a fix?

Thanks