Running in mono

Running in mono
« on: June 02, 2016, 02:05:01 PM »
Now I have got used to running outputs A and B to two (stereo) pedals - giving me foot control over both parts of the voice (and 4 channels), I find myself doing some small gigs where only 1 speaker is needed. Will it damage my P12 if I use Y splitters to make the two stereo channels into mono (after the pedals) and another y splitter to add the mono A and B together. I have been advised both that it is OK and that it is bad so I thought I should ask the Prophet experts. I know I could buy a small mixer, but y splitters are v cheap.

Re: Running in mono
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 02:36:49 PM »
Put a single mono cable in the left A output. Prophet 12 has an internal mixer which will do what you are trying to achieve if you only plug it into the left A output. No need for an external mixer of Y-adapters.
Prophet 12

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 03:38:36 AM »
Thanks HESpook, a good tip. However I need a solution where I get to use separate volume pedals for A and B outputs as 'hands free' blending of different amounts of both parts of the voices is integral to my playing style. All my voices also rely heavily on using Pedal 1 and Pedal 2 modulations, so a fix involving them instead will not work for me.

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 02:00:10 PM »
Have you tried just hooking up the Left channel of Outputs A and the Left channel of outputs B?  I think that would work for you.
Fantom 7 | Moog One | Pro3 | Summit | OB-X8 | Digitakt | Digitone | Syntakt | Iridium KB | 7u x 104hp Eurorack | H9000 | A&H SQ5 Mixer

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 04:59:43 AM »
Alright!

I searched around a bit and found a link to this, [size=78%]http://www.rane.com/note109.html[/size], on Gearslutz.

It says something along the lines of that your signal will get a bit fucked up in the low end and your synth might break if you are unlucky. I doubt that the latter is whats going to happen but if you want to know for sure; send a mail to DSI support and ask them.

I'd suggest getting a cheap mixer instead. There are loads to be had for less than $100, both new and used, which is a lot less than a Prophet 12. I see can the appeal of not having any extra gear which you don't really use though.

Is expression pedal control of program volume an option? You'd lose the ability to use the expression pedals for the things but it's an easy solution otherwise.
Prophet 12

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 07:24:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies! The Gearslutz advice seems good, I had not considered the High/Low Impedance issue. I think I shall give up on the Y splitters which my son recommended and look for a small mixer after all. I chose the P12 and wrote 150 (so far) voices to give me maximum expression control, so both my expression pedals are busy giving me different ranges of timbres and panning for both parts A and B on all my voices - as an improvisation based musician I like to be able to go on sound journeys without even necessarily changing to a new voice. A mixer will mean I can do my usual quad setup and easily adapt it to a stereo or mono PA.