MIDI clock question

MIDI clock question
« on: May 25, 2021, 06:30:35 AM »
I'm having a bit of difficulty with MIDI clock on the Tempest. I'm sending sync via Digital Performer via USB to the Tempest and then I have MIDI out from the Tempest to my MIDI in on the Prophet X and then thru to my Prophet 6.

I have the Tempest set to Slave and the clock triggers when Digital Performer starts but the clock on the Tempest fluctuates and there's also no MIDI clock being transmitted to the PX or P6. I've tried every combination of settings and it doesn't work. I know Tempest doesn't have a MIDI thru port so I'm not sure what else I can do.

When I tried to plug the USB into the PX directly, the clock also fluctuates drastically as well.

Re: MIDI clock question
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 12:59:43 PM »
Every DAW has it’s own features..
Don’t know with DP but in my case with Ableton Live i do an offset correction when trying to send sync to Tempest and yes it fluctuates..
Also if you want to slave your other machines through Tempest use the “Slave Thru” option in T’s midi prefs..
From the manual:
“In Slave Thru mode, Tempest syncs to MIDI clock and forwards incoming MMC and clock messages to the MIDI Out port.”

Just use plain the good old MIDI Din 5..In my case i send MIDI din 5 clock from my MPC Live to both Tempest and Access VirusTi simultaneously and it works wonders..
If i had to bring a DAW to the table I’d consider buying an external clock sync device like E-RM Multiclock or SND ACME-4 or Expert Sleepers USAMO etc. to have control over jitter..
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 01:12:41 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 06:30:38 PM »
Every DAW has it’s own features..
Don’t know with DP but in my case with Ableton Live i do an offset correction when trying to send sync to Tempest and yes it fluctuates..
Also if you want to slave your other machines through Tempest use the “Slave Thru” option in T’s midi prefs..
From the manual:
“In Slave Thru mode, Tempest syncs to MIDI clock and forwards incoming MMC and clock messages to the MIDI Out port.”

Just use plain the good old MIDI Din 5..In my case i send MIDI din 5 clock from my MPC Live to both Tempest and Access VirusTi simultaneously and it works wonders..
If i had to bring a DAW to the table I’d consider buying an external clock sync device like E-RM Multiclock or SND ACME-4 or Expert Sleepers USAMO etc. to have control over jitter..

I tried in Slave Thru mode and it doesn't transmit to the PX at all. What should the PX be set to? I currently have it set to Slave via MIDI din and then Slave Thru via MIDI din and nothing works.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 08:44:35 PM »
I tried in Slave Thru mode and it doesn't transmit to the PX at all. What should the PX be set to? I currently have it set to Slave via MIDI din and then Slave Thru via MIDI din and nothing works.
What’s your Tempest Midi clock out cable settings?
From the manual:
MIDI: Clock OUT Cable: None, MIDI Port, USB, MIDI•USB—MIDI Clock data can be sent out via the MIDI Out port, the USB Port, or both MIDI and USB. If “None” is selected, MIDI clock out is disabled.

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 05:02:48 AM »
What’s your Tempest Midi clock out cable settings?
From the manual:
MIDI: Clock OUT Cable: None, MIDI Port, USB, MIDI•USB—MIDI Clock data can be sent out via the MIDI Out port, the USB Port, or both MIDI and USB. If “None” is selected, MIDI clock out is disabled.

MIDI THRU:
MIDI IN: USB
MIDI OUT: MIDI Port

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 05:22:01 AM »
In regards to the jitter. Would a dedicated sequencer like the Pyramid reduce this at all?

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 06:38:31 AM »
In regards to the jitter. Would a dedicated sequencer like the Pyramid reduce this at all?
As long there’s a computer involved no I’m afraid and that’s why i went completely DAWless..

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 08:38:44 AM »
As long there’s a computer involved no I’m afraid and that’s why i went completely DAWless..

Might have to go that route myself. Some of the clock devices are insanely expensive. $1100 for the ACME 4 Tools. Sheesh

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 09:22:24 PM »
Might have to go that route myself. Some of the clock devices are insanely expensive. $1100 for the ACME 4 Tools. Sheesh
Just grab the USAMO which does the same job if you’re not into hands on hardware control.. ;)

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 05:22:17 AM »
Just grab the USAMO which does the same job if you’re not into hands on hardware control.. ;)

Thank you.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 05:42:45 AM »
I'm going to post a video showing my issue with transmitting MIDI data to my PX. Hopefully someone can point out exactly what I'm doing wrong.