OS/Firmware Updates

OS/Firmware Updates
« on: May 23, 2021, 04:24:39 PM »
Curious why Sequential doesn't seem to have the official OS / Firmware update versions available on their site for download ? I checked everywhere on there, under support general, under support for individual instrument, etc.. They are nowhere.

Yet here seems to be the only place to get them via some user posting them. Instructions on how to update are nowhere in the manual either, and the thread here with the update(s) are extremely bleak.

Just more information in general on this subject would be much more welcome in the manual and individual instrument support pages on the site. Makes it feel official. For instance if I download the OS update from here, is it really technically supported by Sequential ?

Also due to this bleak info, there is no way to look up prior OS releases and revert to one if you wanted. Stuff like that. I am surprised at this. Maybe I am missing something, can someone shed some light ? Thanks.

Re: OS/Firmware Updates
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 06:21:48 PM »
The latest release versions are usually available on the main site.

The latest beta versions are listed here by a Sequential staff member and appear as a pinned post under the relevant instrument subsection.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 10:04:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply and info Quatschmacher. And I will pretend I know how to pronounce that so I feel smart ! hahaha

Anyway, yea, I own a P10, go to the P10 page, support, etc.. no OS versions listed to download. My version it shipped with is 1.5.1, and I notice 1.5.2 is here, but not on Sequential official support pages (that I can find anyway).

Either way, so the versions here are actually not official, but rather beta releases ? And once they become official then the Sequential site is suppose to have them ?

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 03:07:10 AM »
Thanks for the reply and info Quatschmacher. And I will pretend I know how to pronounce that so I feel smart ! hahaha

Anyway, yea, I own a P10, go to the P10 page, support, etc.. no OS versions listed to download. My version it shipped with is 1.5.1, and I notice 1.5.2 is here, but not on Sequential official support pages (that I can find anyway).

Either way, so the versions here are actually not official, but rather beta releases ? And once they become official then the Sequential site is suppose to have them ?

Correct, after it’s been beta tested and deemed stable, it will be posted on the main site as the official release version. That process can take quite some though. There are still bugs in the current beta that I’ve reported and fixes will be forthcoming.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2021, 10:28:22 AM »
Got it, thanks for the clarification.

But that said - Mine shipped with 1.5.1 and I see there was a 1.5.0, and as I said neither of these are on the site as past versions. Nor do they have the change log list with the updated user instructions for each new feature added and how to use them, etc..

I mean, I guess I can get them here, yes, but just mentioning this so Sequential can hopefully address this.

Thanks again for your info though !

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2021, 11:07:45 AM »
Got it, thanks for the clarification.

But that said - Mine shipped with 1.5.1 and I see there was a 1.5.0, and as I said neither of these are on the site as past versions. Nor do they have the change log list with the updated user instructions for each new feature added and how to use them, etc..

I mean, I guess I can get them here, yes, but just mentioning this so Sequential can hopefully address this.

Thanks again for your info though !

You are correct; this is because 1.5.0 never made it out of the beta testing phase before it was superseded by 1.5.2. There were some nasty bugs in 1.5.0 that were fixed in 1.5.2.

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 01:39:33 PM »
You are correct; this is because 1.5.0 never made it out of the beta testing phase before it was superseded by 1.5.2. There were some nasty bugs in 1.5.0 that were fixed in 1.5.2.
Ahhh, ok, didn't know that about 1.5.0.
Still remains though that mine shipped with 1.5.1 which has to be official, and I am sure there were some official ones before 1.5.0 and as I've said, they are nowhere to be seen on the site on my products support page, nor the change logs, etc..

All I am getting at, is I like official company websites for information like this and not having to go to the forums for it. I just want to report a lack of pertinent product info that one purchases on the official website's product support pages

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 04:25:42 PM »
Ahhh, ok, didn't know that about 1.5.0.
Still remains though that mine shipped with 1.5.1 which has to be official, and I am sure there were some official ones before 1.5.0 and as I've said, they are nowhere to be seen on the site on my products support page, nor the change logs, etc..

All I am getting at, is I like official company websites for information like this and not having to go to the forums for it. I just want to report a lack of pertinent product info that one purchases on the official website's product support pages

I’d suggest writing an email to support - they don’t always manage to read everything on here but emails will always be answered.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2021, 05:43:38 PM »
I’d suggest writing an email to support - they don’t always manage to read everything on here but emails will always be answered.
For sure ! Just hoping others find this a bit annoying too, so we get more emails on this.

Thanks again Quatschmacher !

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 08:02:16 PM »
I don't find it annoying at all, I personally think it's a pretty good system. Can it be better? Sure. Is it that important? Not really, no. More important things to worry about.

People are so focused on firmware updates and such - seems nobody is content these days, always gotta have something new, always worried about missing out on some feature. Just play your synth and have fun!
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 08:19:07 PM »
I don't find it annoying at all, I personally think it's a pretty good system. Can it be better? Sure. Is it that important? Not really, no. More important things to worry about.

People are so focused on firmware updates and such - seems nobody is content these days, always gotta have something new, always worried about missing out on some feature. Just play your synth and have fun!
Well its more than you think. But I am 100% happy you are fine with it. Thats good for you, mos def.

But - #1 its not about being new. Thats the last thing I need too, I agree. I been rolling with all my vintage synths forever, no need for anything new. But its DIFFERENT when there are current bugs to be fished out. 1.5.2 is needed for the dropped notes, and finding 1.5.2 was not normal. Thats all I am saying about that.

But #2 what solidifies the need for what I said is what every other company does, and thats something you seemed to miss. And thats a backlog of previous OS versions and change log. This is important for the situation we are in now with beta releases and also the fact the manual is missing instructional details to the newly added features (that were needed). Its understandable that this happens, and I am not complaining about that. Not 1 bit. I am just complaining about *where* the information is found.

So believe me, I'm the first to put down the chase for something new and play. I make songs all the time, its what I do. I'm ignoring life around me and having fun, playing, yes ! So I agree 100% - but this particular situation is different. Thats all I am trying to relay.

For instance I have the OB-6 too, and no complaints there. It's fine. Its the P10 that has this particular situation of being in Beta, Beta is best for now, but buggy too, and no info on site.. And to push things onto a forum is ehhh, not my style. Its like forums that are shutting down and moving to Discord thinking thats the same thing. LOL You seen this ? Sucks.

I will die if I ever buy a $3500 thing and the only place I can get a update is Discord ! haha, image that. But thats the road we are headed if we don't speak up. Having your posts buried in 15y/o rhetoric within 5min. LOL ;D :o
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 08:24:57 PM by Infa Red »

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2021, 12:57:14 AM »
For sure ! Just hoping others find this a bit annoying too, so we get more emails on this.

Thanks again Quatschmacher !

You’re welcome.

I agree that there should be more signposting and transparency. Perhaps even a note on the main product OS page pointing to the presence of newer beta firmware. Morningstar Engineering does something like this.

I do work for a synth pedal company (unpaid) and for every new firmware update, I rewrite the user manual to include the new features and the developer updates the publicly displayed change log document before the release takes place.

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 01:20:05 AM »
I do work for a synth pedal company (unpaid) and for every new firmware update, I rewrite the user manual to include the new features and the developer updates the publicly displayed change log document before the release takes place.
Dang ! Dave should hire you to work at Sequential. I'd be much happier ! haha

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2021, 01:21:04 AM »
Dang ! Dave should hire you to work at Sequential. I'd be much happier ! haha

I actually contacted Pym last year to ask if I could work for them! I’m actually hoping that the Focusrite acquisition might open up opportunities for me here in the UK to do work for Sequential.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 01:23:29 AM by Quatschmacher »

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2021, 10:45:30 AM »
I actually contacted Pym last year to ask if I could work for them! I’m actually hoping that the Focusrite acquisition might open up opportunities for me here in the UK to do work for Sequential.
Thats cool man. I will be rooting for you to get the position !

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2021, 02:14:51 PM »
Thats cool man. I will be rooting for you to get the position !
Thanks, that’s very kind of you.