Some sound sources sound "bitcrushed"

Some sound sources sound "bitcrushed"
« on: May 23, 2021, 11:54:34 AM »
I was wondering why some sound sources sound like as if they were bit crushed (e.g:PnoOrg). I've turned off everything I could (distortion, audio mod, feedback, ...). Are they supposed to sound like that?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 11:58:49 AM by pilp »

Re: Some sound sources sound "bitcrushed"
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 02:59:01 PM »
I was wondering why some sound sources sound like as if they were bit crushed (e.g:PnoOrg). I've turned off everything I could (distortion, audio mod, feedback, ...). Are they supposed to sound like that?

Thanks.

Could anyone turn the tempest on, go to PnoOrg and see if it sounds clean or a bit downsampled for me? Thanks.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 09:52:20 PM »
It sounds fine for me. How are you listening to it? Is it occurring on any other sounds?

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 02:02:22 PM »
It sounds fine for me. How are you listening to it? Is it occurring on any other sounds?

Would you mind posting a short audio file with it to A/B compare with mine? Or I can send you a clip of how it sounds over here? I'm not sure if there's something wrong with my machine or if that's how it's supposed to sound.

It doesn't occur with many other sounds, but with some.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 07:02:28 PM »

Would you mind posting a short audio file with it to A/B compare with mine? Or I can send you a clip of how it sounds over here? I'm not sure if there's something wrong with my machine or if that's how it's supposed to sound.

It doesn't occur with many other sounds, but with some.

Hi Pilp,

I've just discovered the same problem. As you mentioned, '445. PnoOrg' and other samples sound kind of 'bitcrushed' - containing high distorted frequencies. I guess it's the same or very similar additional content which appears in each example listed below – this should not be there IMHO.

I think is starts at [373. RdBell] and goes up, for example it is clearly heard in these samples: [386. Oohh], [389. Piano1], [390. E.Pno], [403. HighPipe], [427. BellHrm], [429. Hi Harm], [437. FullBell], [438. Bell], [449. LiteFund] – and in more, up to the end: [464. VS 95].

I see on FB somebody asked it too:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/dsitempest/permalink/1370159950044498/

Someone answered that this is because the sound samples are of poor quality. I can't believe it.

KoSv

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 01:45:13 PM »
yes. this is known.
perhaps @Pym knows why this is happening / would be interesting to know.
the only option I know to get rid of the aliasing is with a lowpass filter.
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 01:14:00 PM »
As i recall from way back Sequential assigned the sampling development to an external company which made a mistake in transferring some of the samples you’ve mentioned with aliasing inherited.LPassing is the only way to minimize the effect..

KoSv

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2022, 08:08:55 AM »
wow I'm imagining right now how it feels realizing that thousands of rom chips where burned with corrupted data on them... 
there must be a good meme for that ;P

As i recall from way back Sequential assigned the sampling development to an external company which made a mistake in transferring some of the samples you’ve mentioned with aliasing inherited.LPassing is the only way to minimize the effect..
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.