Rev 2 firmware is it just me?

Re: Rev 2 firmware is it just me?
« Reply #160 on: July 22, 2021, 12:23:14 PM »
Yes, Timboréale question is interesting and thanks Creative Spiral for confirming that a TRS can also reproduce this LPF Half issue.

This leads to another question. Is this same issue reproducible on the Prophet '08, Poly Evolver, and/or any other models? The former both have "LPF Half" settings and pedal inputs. Since, for posterity's sake, I'm actually really curious if this has affected perceptions of the Curtis chip and PA397 based DSIs, I would love to see this, and thus my hypothesis, tested out.

Can anyone with a Prophet '08 or Evolver series keyboard try this?

1. Set Pedal to LPF Half
2. Insert TR and/or TRS cable and then remove while powered up.
3. Test frequency range of filter.
4. Power cycle unit.-->  Is the bandwidth still limited?

« Reply #161 on: July 22, 2021, 12:30:22 PM »
Fortunately, it seems like it would be a simple fix ... as mentioned, just add a Reset to 0 for Exp Pedal Source amount during Init/Startup, and that should do it.

I'd be concerned that perhaps the filter amount as adjusted by the pedal may not be sourced from the pedal but cached separately, that would need to be zeroed as well (for instance, set pedal to LPF Half/Full, put a value on that, unplug it, change the pedal to CC #11 or something, plug it back in and change it again -> does the persisted LPF offset get reset to 0?).

However, my understanding is that the synth has no memory that is updated frequently during operation that persists across boots - you need to enter and exit globals to trigger a persistence of settings - so the fact that this is getting stored at all is a little surprising... but it may be that that's in a static allocation and they may skip zeroing that memory segment on boot... SRAM can persist values between power cycles.

This is a good consideration.  Pedal LPF Half and LPF Full may be separate cached source variables, in addition to the Exp Pedal source variable (or in lieu of it).  (that may be the case for all the 5-6 Foot Pedal int variables in globals)   

Yeah, I was definitely surprised to see the exp pedal values carry over in between power cycles, even without a pedal attached.  Any/all of the foot pedal variables should definitely be zeroed upon init/startup routine to avoid issues... and then, right after zeroing the values out, the exp pedal current variable can be sampled (if present)...  but if an exp pedal doesn't exist, those variables should never be left above 0 between power cycles... since there's no way a user can turn those offsets off if they don't have exp pedal connected.

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #162 on: July 22, 2021, 01:07:17 PM »
Yes, Timboréale question is interesting and thanks Creative Spiral for confirming that a TRS can also reproduce this LPF Half issue.

This leads to another question. Is this same issue reproducible on the Prophet '08, Poly Evolver, and/or any other models? The former both have "LPF Half" settings and pedal inputs. Since, for posterity's sake, I'm actually really curious if this has affected perceptions of the Curtis chip and PA397 based DSIs, I would love to see this, and thus my hypothesis, tested out.

1. Set Pedal to LPF Half

Just tested this on Pro 3 and PEK :

Pro 3:  Not an issue... if you remove the Exp Pedal with it on, it immediately zeroes out the value.  Also, if you leave foot pedal forward and shut down, then remove the Exp Pedal while its off (more likely scenario) - when you power back on it zeroes out the values, when no Exp Pedal is present.   So - behaves good.  There is one minor peculiarity on Pro3 in that if you have the pedal set to Full LPF or Half LPF, with pedal forward, and then switch to a different Pedal destination in globals, it doesn't immediately zero out the cutoff offsets... though it does upon power cycle always, so not a big deal.

PEK:  Works well - removing Exp Pedal while powered on immediately zeroes out the values.  Also, if you have pedal forward, power down and remove the pedal, and then power back up without a pedal, it has the values zeroed out as it should.

So, yeah, just seems to be an issue with Rev2... at least out of these three.  (it may well exist on P08 too, since the Rev2 OS was probably built off P08 foundation)

Sound Sets:
Free Patches:

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #163 on: July 22, 2021, 03:03:43 PM »

1. Set Pedal to LPF Half

I can try this later on the Prophet '08, but I doubt it's a problem.  I've used a pedal to open the filter a number of times, and it never resulted in the problem you described. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 03:06:58 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #164 on: July 22, 2021, 04:50:50 PM »
This cannot be controlled in software.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

jg666

« Reply #165 on: July 23, 2021, 12:32:50 AM »
Has anyone tried F1 P24 to see if they get similar issues to me?
Thanks
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #166 on: July 23, 2021, 12:13:42 PM »
I just gave it a try and everything seems normal here. (F1 P24: "Intellect Lead") It's a very simple patch that uses oscillator sync. Have you ran the calibration routines recently?

I have posted this before a while ago but worth mentioning again because there are more people viewing this thread and able to test on theirs...

This is regarding F1 P24

Using this patch, the octave from middle C seems to play differently to all the other keys. They seem quieter for want of a better description. Does anyone else notice this? so just play single keys from below middle C and through the middle C octave and beyond, it's just the one octave on mine that sounds different.

I haven't noticed this on any other patches but it happens every time on F1 P24. I could try and record a video with my camera if required (I don't record stuff or play on my computer)

jg666

« Reply #167 on: July 23, 2021, 12:27:20 PM »
I just gave it a try and everything seems normal here. (F1 P24: "Intellect Lead") It's a very simple patch that uses oscillator sync. Have you ran the calibration routines recently?

I have posted this before a while ago but worth mentioning again because there are more people viewing this thread and able to test on theirs...

This is regarding F1 P24

Using this patch, the octave from middle C seems to play differently to all the other keys. They seem quieter for want of a better description. Does anyone else notice this? so just play single keys from below middle C and through the middle C octave and beyond, it's just the one octave on mine that sounds different.

I haven't noticed this on any other patches but it happens every time on F1 P24. I could try and record a video with my camera if required (I don't record stuff or play on my computer)

I’ve run them a couple of times since first noticing this issue a year or so ago. I’ll give it another go and see if that sorts it.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

jg666

« Reply #168 on: July 23, 2021, 01:04:32 PM »
Strange. I calibrated the wheels first and tried it again and it moved the affected area up a few keys on the keyboard so it was the octave from G that was different.

So then I calibrated the oscillators and filter and now the whole of the keyboard is like the octave that was different in the first place. So I don’t know actually what the patch should sound like! Was it only correct in the octave that I thought had an issue?

« Reply #169 on: July 23, 2021, 01:32:31 PM »
I played the sound for several minutes across the entire key range. No issues in any of the octaves.

jg666

« Reply #170 on: July 23, 2021, 01:36:42 PM »
It would be nice to know what it should sound like. Currently it’s playing the same sound across the whole keyboard but I don’t know if that’s what it should sound like because it’s a lot duller than it was before I calibrated…. Well a lot duller than the keys except the octave that sounded dull !!

Edit - what I’m trying to say is, I’m wondering now if the octave I thought was wrong was actually correct and the rest of the keys were wrong, because it now all sounds like that octave.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 01:45:58 PM by jg666 »

jg666

« Reply #171 on: July 23, 2021, 02:17:02 PM »
Just noticed that there’s a new firmware beta version just been posted - v1.1.5.9.6
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 02:21:51 PM by jg666 »

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #172 on: July 23, 2021, 03:36:08 PM »
Looks like a solid update. Thanks @pym and crew. Glad to hear you're working on a few of the other bugs too.
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

jg666

« Reply #173 on: July 23, 2021, 03:40:20 PM »
Indeed it does. I’m going to wait until the morning to do the update as I’ve had far too much to drink tonight  ;D

« Reply #174 on: July 23, 2021, 10:30:19 PM »
Looks like many issues addressed, and possible there is a few more items being evaluated as well, based on the message in the FW update.    Very exciting!!!  Thank you Seq team for your continued dedication to this amazing instrument!   

Looking forward to checking this out.  The current file uploaded appears to be incomplete though... tried updating and it only gets to 55%... the file is only 649kb, whereas previous OS updates were 1172kb.

Sound Sets:
Free Patches:

« Reply #175 on: July 23, 2021, 11:11:26 PM »
Looks like many issues addressed, and possible there is a few more items being evaluated as well, based on the message in the FW update.    Very exciting!!!  Thank you Seq team for your continued dedication to this amazing instrument!   

Looking forward to checking this out.  The current file uploaded appears to be incomplete though... tried updating and it only gets to 55%... the file is only 649kb, whereas previous OS updates were 1172kb.

i have the same problem
Yamaha MO8, Seq Pro3, Seq Rev2/16, Model: Cycles, Moog DFAM, Modular, Akai MPC One, Pearl Mimic Pro, Midas M32R

« Reply #176 on: July 23, 2021, 11:55:08 PM »
Looks like a solid update. Thanks @pym and crew. Glad to hear you're working on a few of the other bugs too.

Glad to see some movement on the Rev2 bugs. Just seeing this one update gives me more faith in the Rev2 as a product.

Would the LPF offset issue cause the reports of "bright" tone from the Rev2, or would that be a Curtis chip characteristic?

jok3r

« Reply #177 on: July 24, 2021, 01:21:49 AM »
That are some really good news. I have to play a gig this evening and don't want to experiment before that. But I will try the new version as soon as possible.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Djinn

« Reply #178 on: July 24, 2021, 01:32:51 AM »
My pc doesn't recognise the file type so I can't try it unfortunately I'm not going to force it.. Due to reports of an incomplete file but am happy with news of the posted firmware and hopefully more to come.. Thanks pym and all at sequential

« Reply #179 on: July 24, 2021, 02:32:53 AM »
tried different programs. no solution. stops at 55% 567. tried different programs buffer sizes, speeds and so on.
nothing helps!

i think the file has a problem!

any solution?  :(
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 02:34:25 AM by seq_user12123 »
Yamaha MO8, Seq Pro3, Seq Rev2/16, Model: Cycles, Moog DFAM, Modular, Akai MPC One, Pearl Mimic Pro, Midas M32R