Rev 2 firmware is it just me?

Djinn

Rev 2 firmware is it just me?
« on: May 22, 2021, 06:42:42 AM »
Is it just me?? I'm getting fairly frustrated that the rev2 hasn't had a major  update/upgrade for ages!! can it be right to expect customers who have spent a substantial amount to be running a beta firmware for over a year??
There are plenty of great ideas in the wishlist I would like to see implemented?! SEQUENTIAL/DAVE SMITH I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU CALL YOURSELF... LISTEN TO YOUR USER BASE AND FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED. FIX YOUR BUGS/ADD MORE FEATURES NO MORE EXCUSES... GET IT DONE
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 07:48:26 AM by Djinn »

Re: Rev 2 firmware is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 01:12:30 PM »
the natives are getting restless...

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 09:08:22 PM »
can it be right to expect customers who have spent a substantial amount to be running a beta firmware for over a year??

Yes, it can and it is. They don't owe you a single upgrade. The device is sold as having the features it has; it's not sold as having anything promised in the future. Those are bonuses offered as they can. Maybe don't be so rude when others don't "meet" your own unrealistic expectations, and life will seem a bit more enjoyable, if only for those around you.

Relax, the Rev2 is still a great, enjoyable, playable synth, even if it isn't your dream machine. Don't worry, just have fun making music!
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 08:57:21 AM »
It's likely an OS update will appear this summer.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 09:35:20 AM »
I think at this point in the life cycle, it's probably unlikely we'll see more feature additions (though I'd love to be proven wrong).   Rev2 is about five years old now, and they have said that there's not really more program space for more upgrades.     

With the bugs, I agree, it would be really nice to have an update that irons those out.   The bug with layered gated sequencers not advancing through steps properly is my biggest hope...  (Ticket #48090)  It would allow for creating some amazing layered sequences with arp/seq stepping, and improve voice modeling capabilities.   

Crossing my fingers, and hoping for a summer update that fixes it.  :)

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 11:36:05 AM »
I personally don’t care about new features, but like creative spiral, I’d super appreciate addressing some of the bugs. <3

maxter

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 05:38:01 AM »
can it be right to expect customers who have spent a substantial amount to be running a beta firmware for over a year??

Yes, it can and it is. They don't owe you a single upgrade. The device is sold as having the features it has; it's not sold as having anything promised in the future. Those are bonuses offered as they can. Maybe don't be so rude when others don't "meet" your own unrealistic expectations, and life will seem a bit more enjoyable, if only for those around you.

Relax, the Rev2 is still a great, enjoyable, playable synth, even if it isn't your dream machine. Don't worry, just have fun making music!

I disagree on a certain point.

"The device is sold as having the features it has..." Actually, in this case it's more like "sold as SUPPOSEDLY having features it's SUPPOSED to have, but does not yet have". The fact that I STILL, after 5 years, can't do what I was able to with the Prophet '08, is somewhat disturbing and quite annoying... I guess I could call it the Rev½ in that regard, compared to the P´08. Specifically, the bug mentioned by creativespiral. Though that's not the only bug still present.

In response to double-u "the natives are getting restless...", nah we got restless a long, long time ago  ;)

We're approaching the 2½ year (!!!) mark since the latest BETA release. With such major bugs still present, I don't think that's OK at all. It was SUPPOSED to be able to do what the P´08 can do, but it still can NOT.

If it was my product, I'd be ashamed.

So to answer OP Djinn, no it's not just you.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 05:50:14 AM by maxter »
The Way the Truth and the Life

Djinn

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 09:30:12 AM »
Thanks maxter,
You put it a lot more eloquently than me and I agree with everything you said thanks again

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 06:21:36 AM »
Rev2 has the potential to be one of the greatest synths ever made if they’d just show it some love and fix the issues that keep it from doing what the prophet 08 could do. It is truly disappointing :(

maxter

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 09:58:42 AM »
Rev2 has the potential to be one of the greatest synths ever made if they’d just show it some love and fix the issues that keep it from doing what the prophet 08 could do. It is truly disappointing :(

Indeed... and considering that it was released just at the beginning of the "real" boom of new analog polyphonic synthesizers, it's like they missed the mark a bit, unfortunately. Had they gone through with it in time, by finishing the OS early on, it would've gained a lot more hype, and sold a lot more. There was quite a demand for just such an affordable, while highly versatile, analog-poly, evidently by all competitors that have arrived since, and they could've OWNED that market spot...

Seems like they "abandoned ship" far too early with this one, to focus on later releases instead of finishing up first. It could've been THE poly-DCO to rule them all (even against VCOs), imo, but as of now the "damage is done" somewhat reputation-wise for the Rev2 I think, and NOW, 5 years later, there are SO many other contenders in that category to compete for customers.

Even if it's "too late" in that regard, I just hope the end result won't be "too little". Ie that they eventually WILL work out the OS bugs, and hopefully add one or two of the most important missing features, such as an osc fine tune mod slot, which should be possible and is likely a minor task to implement. Don't know if the "vintage mode" would be possible to implement, I certainly hope so, but otherwise the osc fine tune mod destination would work fine in tandem with the gated sequencers as an alternative.

The Rev2 is just about all I would ever ask for in an analog-poly, if it would just get completed and working as it should.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 10:02:16 AM by maxter »

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2021, 11:13:26 PM »
Sequential (Focusrite) should make the firmware open source so that we can fix it.

shiihs

• phasing in and out of reality
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2021, 10:48:14 PM »
Sequential (Focusrite) should make the firmware open source so that we can fix it.

I like your thoughts :) This could lead to a whole new eco-system and create a unique value in the synth (but, as it goes, unfortunately it might also lead to increased questions to tech support from people who bricked their unit or are confused about some third-party version's bug?). For some reason I do not associate "Focusrite" to "opensource-friendly" but maybe that is just my prejudice.
--
gear: prophet rev2 16 voice, kawai NV10, casio wk-7600, Roland Integra-7, supercollider, ardour

links:

https://www.youtube.com/stefaanhimpe
https://soundcloud.com/stefaanhimpe
https://technogems.blogspot.com
https://a-touch-of-music.blogspot.com/

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2021, 08:19:00 AM »

Had Sequential finished the Prophet Rev2, I would certainly have bought the Pro3...

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,4994.msg49705.html#msg49705

Djinn

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2021, 12:36:21 PM »
Yeh sorry to repeat a thread but it really does feel unfinished and I don't think it would take much to sort it out...
Decent control of fine tune osc...
Slew controls
Finishing the step sequencer
Mayb new vintage/slop if poss
Etc
Etc..

redgroup

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2021, 06:59:39 PM »

they might not "owe" anyone a upgrade to the original synth that was sold but the original synth had more than a few flaws in its functionality, the expectation from people who bought was this would be addressed over time and it hasn't happened.

between the OS flaws,

having to spend hundreds of dollars for encoder replacements if you want to not deal with annoying knob skipping,

having a synth that designs its user banks/layer splits to make the 8 voice versions of the synth have a truly awkward workflow

the voice chip issues highlighted in this starsky carr video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34lvST3I8rY

and of course the filter bleed (and in particular how it was marketed as a design choice by DSI so that it meant if you didn't like their filter that doesn't actually close, it's YOUR fault)

this is probably one of my biggest regret purchases  synthwise and has kind of ruined DSI's reputation as a synth builder to me.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 07:02:21 PM by redgroup »

Djinn

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 09:58:32 AM »
I just received this email from sequential...

As the Rev2 codebase is at its maximum per the onboard processor, there are currently no plans to update the Rev2 OS or add new features.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Brian
Sequential LLC

Very disappointing

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2021, 10:24:14 AM »
Djinn, I read your post several times with disbelief, hoping that I was misunderstanding something.  The new features are one thing.  But as for the OS update, that would be contrary to what I've been told directly and repeatedly by Sequential for the past two years.  And I've been waiting for five.  This would be very bad news.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 01:10:44 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

maxter

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2021, 11:04:38 AM »
I can't hold my breath for much longer... a month, maybe two, if nothing then I'm getting rid of the Rev2 asap, and never looking in the direction of SCI again. Even the "B" update their shit, and fix (or at the very least try) the bugs and flaws...

Man, all this time just waiting around for the next OS to address the bugs and issues... (and a miniscule hope of having a feature or two added...) for nothing?

If they can't even fix the bugs anymore, or add ANYTHING to it, why not lock the "requests"-thread and TELL us... 2½ YEARS ago!!! and NOW they tell us?

>:(

I hope this helps.

Tragicomic   :'(

After about 10 min of contemplation, I doubt I'll hold out even a week... goodbye Rev2, hello Hydra!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 11:15:41 AM by maxter »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2021, 11:15:11 AM »
I sent Sequential an email.  I'm not doubting Djinn; I just can't believe it yet. 

For me, the Prophet '08 has been the closest thing to a perfect synthesizer, and it's looking even more appealing right now.  I only turned to the Rev2 for the purpose of having a brand new P'08.  But the original suited me just fine.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 05:11:37 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Djinn

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2021, 12:06:33 PM »
I'm gutted as well I had hope and it's fading fast