An Ode to Ratcheting

chysn

An Ode to Ratcheting
« on: May 18, 2021, 02:52:39 PM »
This happens all the time. I've got a cool sound, and I'm making sequences. And I'm just grooving along for a bit, having some fun. At then, at some point, I think, "Oh, yeah, this sequencer also has ratcheting!" And then my day gets 20% brighter.

I hope I never stop forgetting about ratcheting.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Re: An Ode to Ratcheting
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 03:04:16 PM »
I do wish there was a dedicated ratchet button on the front panel to quickly add them.

chysn

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 07:23:52 PM »
I do wish there was a dedicated ratchet button on the front panel to quickly add them.

Part of remembering that there is ratcheting is trying to figure out which knobs to turn again.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 10:39:47 PM »
Yeah, ratcheting is awesome.

If we could get Ratcheting Offset as a Mod Destination it would be so epic!   Then we could route Mod Wheel or Slider to Ratcheting Offset to get rapid fire repeats on demand... and combo action: altering envelope decay/release in conjunction.

My top feature request is just add more Mod Destinations for existing parameters:  ie:
Seq Ratcheting Offset
Seq Duration Offset
Seq Velocity Offset
Seq Last Step Offset

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

chysn

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 04:11:33 AM »
Yeah, ratcheting is awesome.

If we could get Ratcheting Offset as a Mod Destination it would be so epic!   Then we could route Mod Wheel or Slider to Ratcheting Offset to get rapid fire repeats on demand... and combo action: altering envelope decay/release in conjunction.

My top feature request is just add more Mod Destinations for existing parameters:  ie:
Seq Ratcheting Offset
Seq Duration Offset
Seq Velocity Offset
Seq Last Step Offset

Yeah! These would all help bring Pro 3 into the generative music realm.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Pym

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2021, 07:40:02 AM »
That probably won't happen as general mod destination, but I would definitely like to get something like that as a performance feature. Not sure what the best way is to do it as I'm running out of UI space for cool stuff. I don't like putting it hidden because it just causes issues

It is something I have thought about quite a lot, but is on the back burner behind the two major features we're adding to the Pro3 soon here

I was half considering overriding the 'Seq Lock' and/or 'Cue Program' buttons. One to bring up a live performance menu and one to be a simple on/off or temporary control. Just add a global param that turns them into fun live stuff. Dunno. I think about this stuff constantly.
Sequential

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 08:17:29 AM »
That probably won't happen as general mod destination, but I would definitely like to get something like that as a performance feature. Not sure what the best way is to do it as I'm running out of UI space for cool stuff. I don't like putting it hidden because it just causes issues

It is something I have thought about quite a lot, but is on the back burner behind the two major features we're adding to the Pro3 soon here

I was half considering overriding the 'Seq Lock' and/or 'Cue Program' buttons. One to bring up a live performance menu and one to be a simple on/off or temporary control. Just add a global param that turns them into fun live stuff. Dunno. I think about this stuff constantly.

The reason I was suggesting the Mod Destination Offsets is that they wouldn't require any additional "UI design / UI real estate"... we could just use the existing giant mod matrix and route any number of sources to those destinations.   It would be quick and easy to route Slider/Wheel to Ratcheting Offset or other offsets... takes like 5 seconds to make a routing like that in matrix.. and then any mod source could be routed to them as well... LFO, other sources.   The idea would be that the Seq Offset destinations would just add/subtract to whatever the current value is for each step as they progress...  ie: a +/-64 value via slider might interpret to a +/-4 ratchets per step, capped at the min/max values.   

Looking forward to next updates!  :)

Sound Sets:
Free Patches:

Pym

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 08:19:51 AM »
Right, but it would require sending information to/from the DSP. The LFOs are on the voice chip, the seq/ratchet on the main chip

Lot of complications. It isn't as simple as it appears, which is why I haven't added it yet. I know how fun it would be, that's why I made additional modes on the Tempest to control roll with the sliders

The reason I was suggesting the Mod Destination Offsets is that they wouldn't require any additional "UI design / UI real estate"... we could just use the existing giant mod matrix and route any number of sources to those destinations.   It would be quick and easy to route Slider/Wheel to Ratcheting Offset or other offsets... takes like 5 seconds to make a routing like that in matrix.. and then any mod source could be routed to them as well... LFO, other sources.   The idea would be that the Seq Offset destinations would just add/subtract to whatever the current value is for each step as they progress...  ie: a +/-64 value via slider might interpret to a +/-4 ratchets per step, capped at the min/max values.   

Sequential

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 09:00:52 AM »
Right, but it would require sending information to/from the DSP. The LFOs are on the voice chip, the seq/ratchet on the main chip

Lot of complications. It isn't as simple as it appears, which is why I haven't added it yet. I know how fun it would be, that's why I made additional modes on the Tempest to control roll with the sliders

Yeah, as a programmer, I get that.   It's rarely as easy as it seems from external perspective ;)    Just throwing out ideas from different angles...  the other reason I was hoping for the mod matrix route is then it could be combined with other mod slots targeting decay/release...  ratcheting character is optimized when decay/release is reduced in conjunction.  If there's a way to figure it out as mod matrix from voice board to main board, I would think that would produce the best results... but, yeah, I get it... if there's not an I/O path / protocol for sending matrix data to main board in real time, then could be a significant project.

If just hard coding a control, I would vote for making the "Divide" encoder perform the function... there's really minimal real time usage for divide.... I have never gotten musically good results from changing divide as a sequence plays...   maybe set a menu option to change Divide knob to be "Ratcheting Divide", and access the existing divisions through menu or combo key press with a button. 

Sound Sets:
Free Patches:

chysn

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 10:34:59 AM »
I think about this stuff constantly.

It makes me happy that you're thinking about the Pro 3 constantly, over a year after release  :)
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2021, 10:40:52 AM »

It makes me happy that you're thinking about the Pro 3 constantly, over a year after release  :)

I thought the same thing when I read the post.  It's gratifying to know these instruments are not here today and forgotten tomorrow, but that they remain objects of thought and creativity while still in production.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 04:46:52 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2021, 11:53:38 AM »

I thought the same thing when I read the post.  It's gratifying to know these instruments are not here today and forgotten tomorrow, but that they remain objects of thought and creativity while still in production.  So please continue to think, think and think.

Just hope the Prophet X, P6 and OB6 has this level of support as well. I still feel Sequential can't wait to toss the PX and XL off their roster. As much as it crushes me to say, I don't think the PX or XL was successful....maybe they should have had me demo it... ;)