Inconsistent MIDI slave sync on the Tempest

Inconsistent MIDI slave sync on the Tempest
« on: May 09, 2021, 10:45:26 PM »
I'm trying to record songs off my Tempest, track-by-track to mix in Logic Pro, but I've noticed the timing between the tracks isn't 100% sync'd. It isn't drifting, it's just shifted a very slight amount on some tracks. Is there a way to fix this and get accurate, consistent timing when the Tempest is MIDI slaved?

What I'm doing:
In Logic Pro, I set destination "Tempest" and with clock send in the "Synchronization - MIDI" settings. On the Tempest, I set the USB MIDI clock mode to slave. I record an audio track from the beginning, muting everything but my kick. I repeat this with a new track muting everything but the snare. Etc.

What I get:
Half my songs end up sounding fine, but about half of them have 1-2 tracks that're barely but noticeably off. On one it's my bass and hi-hats sounding a little wonky. Another it's my snare hitting just a little behind.

All the timing issue threads I've searched for are about Tempest's internal clock being slightly off or drifting over time, but not about it being unable to sync properly when slaved. Any advice?!

Re: Inconsistent MIDI slave sync on the Tempest
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 11:04:47 PM »
I’m not using Logic but i think i saw somewhere it has a time correction feature somewhere on the settings..In Ableton Live which i use you can set the sync offset in MIDI settings

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 11:14:38 PM »
But that wouldn't fix the inconsistency, would it? It isn't that "everything is 5ms behind," it's "sometimes it's behind whatever sync it just had on the previous take."

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 12:11:44 AM »
First you need to sync properly Logic & T and then start to building tracks to it..A good practice is to use a metronome while composing ;)
Now if you’re talking about sound inconsistency then you need to read my tips inside the FAQ & tricks thread..
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,78.0.html
Maybe i should rename this thread to Tempest Bible or something to get people’s attention..
Tempest could be a very quirky machine even for the most experienced..You neee to understand how it behaves first..
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 12:20:14 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2021, 02:49:58 AM »
Hi,

I solved my sync problems using multiclock from ERM.
I would highly suggest anyone serious about slaving the tempest (or other tools) to invest in this thing.
I synced it to 1/4 of ms to my system and now what a pleasure to hit play and have a sync that is almost like a phase adjustment. All transients are sharp.
I did 2 videos about this :

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 01:06:19 PM »
Guys Im curious... I see no one talking about that 6ms delay I have with the tempest... is it only mine ?
Would someone be kind enough to run a test?
I tried with Octatrack master or slave to tempest with sharp transients on both sides.. always -6ms for the tempest.
I'm happy with the multiclock.. but then I need a bunch of midi merge here and there ..