Removing a sequence from a patch?

Removing a sequence from a patch?
« on: June 01, 2016, 06:15:50 AM »
Greetings

So, I'm probably doing something wrong but I can't figure out how to delete a sequence from an existing patch. If I create a patch and put a sequence in it, that sequence is permanently attached to the patch. I can mute all the notes in the sequence but if I want to say, replace the sequence with an arpeggio or delete the sequence altogether, it seems impossible. I modify the patch, replace the sequence with an arp and save it. When I reload the patch, the arp is gone and the sequence is back.

Re: Removing a sequence from a patch?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 01:29:01 PM »
I think you might be overthinking this. Each patch allows for saving of both a sequence and arpeggio settings. Make sure the arpeggiator is "on" when you save the patch if you want the patch to default to arpeggio performance. You play an arpeggio by keying the notes that you want to play, but you cannot use the arpeggiator and the sequencer at the same time. The "play" button is strictly for the sequence, and will automatically turn the arpeggiator off when depressed.

If you want to perform over an arpeggio line, program your sequence in arpeggiated fashion and press play. Now you can perform additional notes over that arpeggio-styled sequence as long as you don't exceed the 6 note polyphony.

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 05:23:37 AM »
The problem is that if the OB6 receives a "start" message from an external source, it automatically switches from Arp mode to Seq mode and the sequencer starts. This only happens if the patch contains a sequence and an arp. If it only contains an arp, it functions normally. Being able to delete a sequence would fix this issue or it needs a bug fix to prevent it from switching modes on "start" automatically.

AlanC

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 11:19:24 AM »
You can get rid of the sequence by pressing record, increment, decrement, record. After doing that the OB-6 won't switch to the sequencer when it receives a 'Start' message.

Edited: Sorry, I got that wrong. It still does exactly as you said: it stops the arpeggiator and switches to the sequencer; it's just that there's nothing for the sequencer to play.

Edited again: Setting MIDI Clock to No Start Stop (nSS) will stop the switch to the Sequencer.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 12:22:44 PM by AlanC »

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 12:20:38 PM »
I was surprised I could not find any other mention of it. I assumed I was doing something wrong.

AlanC

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 12:34:29 PM »
First time I used a Logic project that had MMC active I was wondering what the heck was happening :D since every time I hit play or record the sequencer would start running. Setting the MIDI Clock to No Start Stop seems like the best option since the arpeggiator still syncs to MIDI.

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 04:54:43 AM »
First time I used a Logic project that had MMC active I was wondering what the heck was happening :D since every time I hit play or record the sequencer would start running. Setting the MIDI Clock to No Start Stop seems like the best option since the arpeggiator still syncs to MIDI.

This is the work around, yes. Switching back and forth between sync modes every patch is a pain. When I program a sequence, I want it to start with the rest of my gear. If the patch is in arp mode, it should not automatically switch to sequencer mode. This should be fixed, IMO.

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 05:40:27 AM »
I've been going back and forth with tech support for a few days. Their suggestion is to set it to nss as well. While I still think it should not switch from arp to sequencer when it's not in nss mode, this actually works because you can just hit play on the sequencer and then send a clock start if you want it to sync. I was under the impression that it just did not respond at all to start/stop in that mode which would be useless to me. it just takes an extra key press to put the seq in standby mode. No big deal.