Noisy filter 3?

Noisy filter 3?
« on: May 08, 2021, 02:58:22 PM »
Does anyone else experience significant noise from filter 3? Filter 1/2 has way less noise on my unit. Can easily be tested by turning osc A+ B and Noise all the way down and triggering the envelope with more than 3 keys, while the master volume is halfway turned up. I hear lots of noise - changing to filter 1/2 makes it much less (a level I could easily accept).

Re: Noisy filter 3?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 03:34:59 PM »
Does anyone else experience significant noise from filter 3? Filter 1/2 has way less noise on my unit. Can easily be tested by turning osc A+ B and Noise all the way down and triggering the envelope with more than 3 keys, while the master volume is halfway turned up. I hear lots of noise - changing to filter 1/2 makes it much less (a level I could easily accept).

Setting up a patch as you suggested, I did hear an increase in noise as I switched from 1/2 to 3, but I had to turn my headphone volume up in the first place to hear this noise at all. In real-world use, I've never noticed this noise difference before and it's not anything I'm likely to consider again. Is it something noticeable even when you've got the oscs turned up, with a patch in use?

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 10:18:36 PM »
The problem is, that it’s still very noticeable when I use a single triangle oscillator only, per voice, and play chords. Listen to this sample I recorded. Its most obvious in the last part: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/06YwM37tDYJmuVpCTUOkDcWBw#P10_noise

The rev1, 2 and 3 never had this kind of noise from the filter, as far as I know?

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 11:20:54 PM »
The problem is, that it’s still very noticeable when I use a single triangle oscillator only, per voice, and play chords. Listen to this sample I recorded. Its most obvious in the last part: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/06YwM37tDYJmuVpCTUOkDcWBw#P10_noise

The rev1, 2 and 3 never had this kind of noise from the filter, as far as I know?

It sounds like something is overdriven somewhere in the signal chain - a triangle shouldn't be so fuzzy! Whatever is causing the distortion is probably also where the excess noise you're hearing is coming from.

If you're concerned you might have a defective unit, send an email to Sequential support. They're always great with troubleshooting.

Regarding the earlier rev P5s, well, my rev 3 certainly generates more noise than my rev 4!

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 04:46:04 AM »
No overdrive. Might have something to do with the sampling I did. But the noise is there. I’ll contact sequential support to hear if my unit is defective.

Could you record your triangle chord for comparison?

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 08:00:14 AM »
No overdrive. Might have something to do with the sampling I did. But the noise is there. I’ll contact sequential support to hear if my unit is defective.

Could you record your triangle chord for comparison?

Hardly a scientific demo, but this is a triangle wave, first with the rev 3 filter, then with the rev 1/2 filter. I recorded the P5 into a Focusrite Scarlett and to PT from there. No compression or limiting anywhere in the chain.

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 11:59:34 AM »
Thank you! It sounds like mine - very obvious noise on filter 3. Much better on filter 1/2. It bothers me, nobody else has mentioned this anywhere. But I guess it’s only a problem for people wanting to do clean triangle chords, which I use often.

If you get the time, sometime in the future, I would really appreciate another recording of osc a, b and noise turned down, and the envelope triggered with a chord on half volume (master), so I can compare the noise level with mine.

Very kind of you to help me :)

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 12:16:23 PM »
Thank you! It sounds like mine - very obvious noise on filter 3. Much better on filter 1/2. It bothers me, nobody else has mentioned this anywhere. But I guess it’s only a problem for people wanting to do clean triangle chords, which I use often.

If you get the time, sometime in the future, I would really appreciate another recording of osc a, b and noise turned down, and the envelope triggered with a chord on half volume (master), so I can compare the noise level with mine.

Very kind of you to help me :)

Ear of the beholder, I'd say. I'm really not hearing any noise - at least nothing I'd ever call problematic. I don't have loads of time to dig further into this this week- a handful of paid recording work plus getting married this weekend etc (!) - but I'd suggest not worrying too much about what you'e hearing. I'll include a screenshot of the waveforms matching the audio I sent. You'll see that the noise is negligible. I've got an old rev 3.3 Prophet 5 and in side-by-side comparison with the new rev 4, of course it's noisier. But not in any way that has ever caused me problems. Hope this is helpful!

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 10:04:47 PM »
it was very helpful. Thanks again and congratulations on the marriage! It’s recommended - I’m on year 4, and still allowed buying new synths, for now 🤝🤗

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 07:42:22 AM »
it was very helpful. Thanks again and congratulations on the marriage! It’s recommended - I’m on year 4, and still allowed buying new synths, for now 🤝🤗

Glad I could help, and congrats on your four (so far) years together!