DAW/Midi clock jump - issue making midi sync completely unstable

redgroup

Hi there,

I'm using reaper and running clock via midi cable out of focusrite clarett to the REV 2 (which is set to slave). when i do this the internal bpm of the rev 2 will be completely wrong. it'll jump between values while playing (usually about 5-10 bpm) difference which screws up the envelopes/LFOS.  Generally it wouldn't matter if you just use the rev 2's BPM but I use variable BPM's in my sessions so not having it send to the rev 2 properly is a major hassle.

I feel like this wasn't happening prior to the last update (But i could be wrong).  Does anyone know how to revert to the previous OS so i can check this out? I've also lodged a support ticket.

maxter

Re: DAW/Midi clock jump - issue making midi sync completely unstable
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 08:11:52 AM »
You can revert to an older OS simply by installing it over the new.

If you haven't got your previous OS version accessible, let me know which one it is and I'll see if I have it, as I have some old ones stored here.
The Way the Truth and the Life

redgroup

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 08:24:35 AM »
You can revert to an older OS simply by installing it over the new.

If you haven't got your previous OS version accessible, let me know which one it is and I'll see if I have it, as I have some old ones stored here.

Cheers man, yeah i have 1.1.5.9.  i tried 1.1.5.6 and that after i originally posted this and it had the same problem. i don't have any of the older ones so if you have anything earlier than those 2 i'd really appreciate if i could grab them from you.

maxter

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 09:09:56 AM »
No problem! Here you go!
The Way the Truth and the Life

redgroup

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 05:46:17 PM »
No problem! Here you go!

Champion, many thanks for sending that. Just tested them all, unfortunately the issue is still there. I lodged a support ticket with sequential. Hopefully they can help clear it up.

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 05:29:41 AM »
No problem! Here you go!

Champion, many thanks for sending that. Just tested them all, unfortunately the issue is still there. I lodged a support ticket with sequential. Hopefully they can help clear it up.

Sounds like it could potentially be an issue with MIDI clock source (DAW) settings or another piece of gear or both.  For example Cubase has a setting to use project position to sync..  I haven't experimented to see what setting works best for variable tempo, but I know some synths can behave weird when that setting is on and I'm looping through a few bars.  My understanding could be flawed, but I believe all synths basically take an average bpm based on the clock beat and the display is basically keeping up with the latest average, so if you have lots of tempo fluctuations in the track I'd expect to see a lot more variation in BMP display.

Aside from that I would try turning off clock send to individual devices in the DAW one by one, as process of elimination - Sounds like the OS has already been eliminated as a possible cause.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC