New Pro 3 love it!

New Pro 3 love it!
« on: April 29, 2021, 07:52:14 PM »
Just thought that after my troubles with the first unit, I got another Pro 3 and so far this one is working really great! I just fell in love with the sound and the workflow of this synth, and had to have another one. Kudos to Sequential support for help early on. I am glad to have this wonderful synth now!

Re: New Pro 3 love it!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 09:32:27 AM »
I'm glad to hear it got resolved!

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 11:57:44 AM »
Yes. Even with the defective unit, I realized this was the synth I had been looking for, with that analog sound but also a slightly modern character. The only other true mono I have had was the DSI Mopho desk top module, and that thing was killer for what it was. I used to layer it with a poly synth or use it for leads or special effects. This Pro 3 is a whole nother ballgame.

chysn

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 06:00:46 PM »
The only other true mono I have had was the DSI Mopho desk top module, and that thing was killer for what it was. I used to layer it with a poly synth or use it for leads or special effects. This Pro 3 is a whole nother ballgame.

I had a Mopho, too... both a Mopho Keyboard and a Mopho Desktop. Mopho was awesome, but I developed some strong opinions on what I really wanted in an analog mono. And I just sort of hung out and waited for that. While I waited I spent about four years with modular. Then, with Pro 3, Dave Smith basically converted my entire headspec into a real synth, leaving me with no choice but to get one.

You're spot on, in that its appeal is a combination of the sound and the workflow. It's a great sound engine connected to a fun interface.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 07:50:22 PM »
Back in college in the 80s I got a chance to work on analog modulars: Buchla, Roland 100M, the humble Electrocomp. I remember what those sounded like and it taught me a lot about synthesis. And it gave me a love for that analog sound, even though digital is quite useful, too.

The only other true mono I have had was the DSI Mopho desk top module, and that thing was killer for what it was. I used to layer it with a poly synth or use it for leads or special effects. This Pro 3 is a whole nother ballgame.

I had a Mopho, too... both a Mopho Keyboard and a Mopho Desktop. Mopho was awesome, but I developed some strong opinions on what I really wanted in an analog mono. And I just sort of hung out and waited for that. While I waited I spent about four years with modular. Then, with Pro 3, Dave Smith basically converted my entire headspec into a real synth, leaving me with no choice but to get one.

You're spot on, in that its appeal is a combination of the sound and the workflow. It's a great sound engine connected to a fun interface.

chysn

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 12:52:28 PM »
Back in college in the 80s I got a chance to work on analog modulars: Buchla, Roland 100M, the humble Electrocomp. I remember what those sounded like and it taught me a lot about synthesis. And it gave me a love for that analog sound, even though digital is quite useful, too.

I was in college in the early 90s, and you know what my college's lab had? An M1, a TX-802, and an HR-16. So my love of analog certainly didn't come from there.

Rather, it dates back to the Sid and Marty Krofft series Land of the Lost (1974-1976), a childhood favorite. The soundtrack was equal parts foreboding resonant filter sweeps, foreboding tympani, and foreboding banjo. I still put episodes on in the background sometimes. Bwa, bwa, bwahh, the Sleestaks are coming!

I can get as Land of the Lost as I want to with the Pro 3.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 12:54:20 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 07:02:33 PM »
Ha, I remember that old show. Those sleestaks used to creep me out! At college we also had the obligatory DX7, DX100, DX5, etc. and I learned how to program on those as well. I believe we also had a TX-802 and 816. I myself owned an Ensoniq SQ-80 and an Alesis HR-16. I still have those in working order. But I will never forget the sound of those analog beasts in the U of I EMS studios.