The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

Doubting between prophet 5 and prophet 10 module

Doubting between prophet 5 and prophet 10 module
« on: April 28, 2021, 07:49:20 AM »

Are the extra voices 'worth it' in daily use?

I also read some people actually prefer the 5 over the 10 because of the rythmic/creative way the notes are 'stealed' when the prophet 5 runs out of voices.

Anyone here have both and want to comment on this?
I also read that the 10 now has the option to convert it to 5 voices.

If its not too much too ask, could someone upload an audio example of how the 5 and 10 sound different when the voices run out on the 5? (and not on the 10)? I can't find any examples of this online or on yt.

thanks in advance!

Re: Doubting between prophet 5 and prophet 10 module
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 09:03:59 AM »
Do you ever play chords with 6 or more voices? (I do regularly.) If so, go for the 10; you can always put it into P5 mode if you want the lower voice count.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 12:43:51 PM »
Do you ever play chords with 6 or more voices? (I do regularly.) If so, go for the 10; you can always put it into P5 mode if you want the lower voice count.

No, hardly ever play a chord with more than 5 voices, mostly a triad or four note chord with a bass note...
and there is no stacked mode in the prophet 5 or 10 right?
and if I want long release time/tails I could do that with an fx pedal like a reverb/echo?

so in that case, the prophet 5? or am I missing something

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 01:13:47 PM »

No, hardly ever play a chord with more than 5 voices, mostly a triad or four note chord with a bass note...
and if I want long release time/tails I could do that with an fx pedal like a reverb/echo?

What do you mean by “stacked”. There is no multi-timbrality but there is a lovely two-voice polyphonic unison mode which can be best exploited on the 10-voice version.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 01:44:54 PM »

What do you mean by “stacked”. There is no multi-timbrality but there is a lovely two-voice polyphonic unison mode which can be best exploited on the 10-voice version.

Interesting; i saw this about the 1.5 update:
Main 1.5.0
Feature: New 3rd row of Globals, accessed by holding BANK SELECT and pressing GLOBALS. When the 3rd row of Globals is selected, both Globals LEDs are lit.
-  3rd row slot #1: turns 5 voice limit mode on/off (affects Prophet 10 only)
-  3rd row slot #2: selects between P5 style or Round Robin voice allocation modes
Feature: New Poly Unison mode. Hold UNISON and select “PU2” using the Inc/Dec buttons. Each note is allocated two voices.

3 questions:
1) What is P5 style voice allocation mode?
2) so do I understand correctly that the prophet 5/10 in unison are monosynths (so no stacking), except for the new PU mode?
3) so In the new PU mode, using the prophet 5, I could play 2 notes, and on the prophet 10 i could play 5? how does this sound, is it worth the extra money?

Thanks guys!

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 03:37:06 PM »

Main 1.5.0
Feature: New 3rd row of Globals, accessed by holding BANK SELECT and pressing GLOBALS. When the 3rd row of Globals is selected, both Globals LEDs are lit.
-  3rd row slot #2: selects between P5 style or Round Robin voice allocation modes
Feature: New Poly Unison mode. Hold UNISON and select “PU2” using the Inc/Dec buttons. Each note is allocated two voices.

3 questions:
2) so do I understand correctly that the prophet 5/10 in unison are monosynths (so no stacking), except for the new PU mode?
3) so In the new PU mode, using the prophet 5, I could play 2 notes, and on the prophet 10 i could play 5? how does this sound, is it worth the extra money?

Thanks guys!
In P5 voice allocation mode, a repeated note uses the same voice. Contrast with round robin where a repeated note uses a new voice each time and hence might eventually steal from other notes being held.

Unison 1-10 is monophonic. PU2 is two voice polyphonic unison where each note is assigned two voices so the P10 can play 5 notes, the P5 will play two notes with two voices each and a third note will only have one voice. (Perhaps this is what you meant by stacking.)

I think it’s worth it (but I was extremely lucky to get my P10 on a Black Friday deal that made it cheaper than a P5).

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 12:01:40 AM »

Main 1.5.0

3 questions:

Thanks guys!
In P5 voice allocation mode, a repeated note uses the same voice. Contrast with round robin where a repeated note uses a new voice each time and hence might eventually steal from other notes being held.

Unison 1-10 is monophonic. PU2 is two voice polyphonic unison where each note is assigned two voices so the P10 can play 5 notes, the P5 will play two notes with two voices each and a third note will only have one voice. (Perhaps this is what you meant by stacking.)

I think it’s worth it (but I was extremely lucky to get my P10 on a Black Friday deal that made it cheaper than a P5).

Thank you!!
Too bad there arent any audio example (that I can find) of the new PU mode, beacause that would be the question for me indeed, if thats worth the extra 800 bucks

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 12:19:32 AM »
Member barbenzinc from Audiofanzine french forum has made examples with a P10 here:
Check the third example here for PU:
https://soundcloud.com/garganigostephane/p10r4-voice-mode-demo

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 04:56:47 AM »
Member barbenzinc from Audiofanzine french forum has made examples with a P10 here:
Check the third example here for PU:
https://soundcloud.com/garganigostephane/p10r4-voice-mode-demo

thank you!
the differences are clearly audible, but I'm actually not sure which one I like best haha! (or which one would fit better in a mix).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 05:00:39 AM by tendingtropic »