Loud pop and LED flash powering on/off OB-6

Loud pop and LED flash powering on/off OB-6
« on: April 22, 2021, 02:28:58 PM »
Hey guys! When I turn off or on the OB-6 I get a large pop sound and the LED flashes on/off then back on and it's good.
I just got the OB-6 and I've never seen this on my Prophet 12, so I was just wondering if its normal. Seems like it just takes a big surge of energy which may be normal. But I now make sure I'm not wearing headphones when I turn off/on because it's a pretty harsh click.

Thank you :)

Re: Loud pop and LED flash powering on/off OB-6
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 03:41:41 AM »
Hey guys! When I turn off or on the OB-6 I get a large pop sound and the LED flashes on/off then back on and it's good.
I just got the OB-6 and I've never seen this on my Prophet 12, so I was just wondering if its normal. Seems like it just takes a big surge of energy which may be normal. But I now make sure I'm not wearing headphones when I turn off/on because it's a pretty harsh click.

Thank you :)

Yes, I have the same thing here.

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 08:35:35 AM »
Same thing here too !

MPM

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 01:40:37 AM »
Rule #1
Turn volume all the way down before powering on.
Rule #2
Turn volume all the way down before powering off.
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 08:53:50 AM »
Rule #1
Turn volume all the way down before powering on.
Rule #2
Turn volume all the way down before powering off.

;D

Yeah it's normal.
Happens with my OB-6 but not with the Pro 6.
*shrug*

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 10:37:39 AM »
Perfectly normal, if somewhat irritating.

That is due to the fact that Sequential (formerly DSI) didn't want to spend an extra $2 per unit to add a temporised output muting circuit consisting of 2 FET transistors (or one small electromechanical relay) to temporarily and automatically mute the output of this $3000+ instrument when powering it on, or off. Even my 36 years old Korg DW8000 has such a small circuit inside.  ::)
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 02:47:27 AM »
It also does it with headphones even with the volume all the way down. Happened just the other day. I moved the OB6 to a new spot and didn't want to run the audio cables just yet, so I used the headphones. My ears are still ringing a bit.

A lot of audio equipment does this, including my Babyface Pro interface. I have all four powered Yamaha speakers & sub on a power strip so I can turn them all on/off with one switch, but sometimes I forget and get that loud pop just unplugging the USB from the Babyface (which is what powers it). These are also my PC speakers, and the PC will make them pop on shutdown if I forget to hit the switch.

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2022, 03:27:22 PM »
Yeah. Just got my OB 6 and whenever I power it on I get the pop and some kind of whirring sound, almost like what a tape deck sounds like. Assuming this too is normal, though My Prophet 6 is nearly silent on power up/down.

To those saying you should turn off speakers when powering up, yes, obviously, but that doesn't mean this behavior isn't unusual. I have a Jx 8P, Juno 106, Moog Sub Phatty and Prophet 6 and none of them behave this way -- only the OB6, so clearly there's something about it specifically.

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2022, 03:31:59 PM »
Yeah. Just got my OB 6 and whenever I power it on I get the pop and some kind of whirring sound, almost like what a tape deck sounds like. Assuming this too is normal, though My Prophet 6 is nearly silent on power up/down.

To those saying you should turn off speakers when powering up, yes, obviously, but that doesn't mean this behavior isn't unusual. I have a Jx 8P, Juno 106, Moog Sub Phatty and Prophet 6 and none of them behave this way -- only the OB6, so clearly there's something about it specifically.

Yeah, I wasn't very impressed after spending $3K on a DSI synth that has a seizure every time I power it on!  ::)  ;D
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2022, 07:21:04 PM »

Yeah, I wasn't very impressed after spending $3K on a DSI synth that has a seizure every time I power it on!  ::)  ;D

Haha yeah but I'm loving the sound of the synth so it can be forgiven. The only other issue I'm having right now is the filter cutoff won't calibrate no matter how many times I run calibration. I get a slightly different cutoff level with each of the six voices. I've got another post open about that.

A few small issues here or there isn't the end of the world, but for $3k I feel like the thing should be dang near perfect when you get it out of the box... Irritated but not deterred. :)

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2022, 08:53:29 PM »

Haha yeah but I'm loving the sound of the synth so it can be forgiven. The only other issue I'm having right now is the filter cutoff won't calibrate no matter how many times I run calibration. I get a slightly different cutoff level with each of the six voices. I've got another post open about that.

A few small issues here or there isn't the end of the world, but for $3k I feel like the thing should be dang near perfect when you get it out of the box... Irritated but not deterred. :)

Just in case: make sure that the Detune knob is fully to the left after you calibrate the synth, otherwise the new "vintage" mode of it could result in a slightly different cutoff level for each voice...  ;)