Expression pedals

Expression pedals
« on: April 17, 2021, 07:18:23 PM »
Apologies if this has been asked before.

I realised this evening that an expression pedal would be very useful on my P6 but which one? Experience has shown that not all pedals are created equally. Some work fine on one instrument but not on others. So, which do you use (or have used in the past) on your P6?

Cheers,

Keith
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

Re: Expression pedals
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 11:44:47 PM »
Hi Keith,

The Moog EP-3 is great. Solid build, smooth heel to toe and a reasonably long cable supplied.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 06:40:52 AM »
I agree that the Moog EP-3 is a good choice. I have one, and it works well with my P6. I also have a Yamaha FC7, which does not work so well with my P6. The range of expression, min to max, on the FC7 occurs in the first half of the pedal movement (e.g., not very expressive). I think I read on this forum some where why that is, but I can’t remember now. The FC7 does work well with a different keyboard.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 08:01:39 AM »
Thanks folks. I decided to give the M-Audio Ex-p a try since the Moog pedal doesn’t seem to be easily available anywhere in Canada, as far as I can see. I’ll note any pros and cons here after I have tried it for a bit.

Cheers,

Keith
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 06:55:56 PM »
Just got a couple of M-Audio pedals and I'm happy to report that they work fine in my Prophet 6 and Prophet X. Not as heavy and solid as some pedals I've used but I'll never be gigging with them so ...

Keith

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 07:18:52 AM »
An additional bit if information. I found that the M Audio pedal works fine on either the volume or the low pass filter inputs for the Prophet 6. Oddly, it is fine on volume on the Prophet X but when plugged into low pass filter it’s useable range is quite limited. Not sure I understand why.

Keith

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 04:29:06 PM »
Surprised that this is the only post about best pedals for P6, but maybe the search engine isn't locating them.
In any case, before getting another I'd love to find one that behaves just like the knobs on my Desk Top P6.  That is, when I turn the volume knob all the way left there is no sound, and when I turn the cutoff knob all the way left there is no sound. I have Roland and Kurzweil pedals and they don't seem to control the full range of either volume or cutoff.
Many seem to use the Moog EP3. Does it really control the full ranges?  Thanks for any answers.

Hmmmm.....Maybe I found the answer to my question by actually thinking: the expression pedal at its lowest level just starts with the current level of the cutoff filter for whatever patch you're using. If you want to start at the lowest cutoff level, you have to turn the P6 cutoff knob to its lowest level. Then your pedal should behave just like you want it to. I imagine there are some pedals that don't work quite as well as my Kurzweil pedal, however.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 04:57:26 PM by Blacklab88 »