Prophet 6 Sound Editor bugs

Prophet 6 Sound Editor bugs
« on: February 19, 2016, 12:44:30 AM »
I sent them to Sound Tower, but have not heard a reply yet. Opening this discussion to log the issues we find:
  • The envelop diagrams for amplifier and filter are reversed
  • If you select a preset in BANK/CATEGORY to hear what it sounds like, the category tag of the preset gets reset to "UNASSIGNED"
Pleas add if you encounter other ones.

Re: Prophet 6 Sound Editor bugs
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 03:35:34 AM »
From memory...

• Unison modes missing (only has 1 voice or all voices)
  • No display or editing of unison chord
  • Poly Mod Filter Env should be bipolar (-127 to 127)
  • Poly Mod OSC 2 should be bipolar (-127 to 127)
  • Aftertouch amount should be bipolar (-127 to 127)
  • Pan spread should be unipolar (0 to 127). At the moment it is -64 to 63.
  • Phaser 2 is listed as Phaser 1 in Effect 2 Type

I think that's it, along with the reversed envelope displays and reset category tags.

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 04:54:34 AM »
Thank you for adding these! Hope they will fix it soon.

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 06:32:08 AM »
Any news on the Soundtower editor please. Have these bugs been fixed? Does the editor work other than this? Particularly is the librarian functional?
Thanx
Steve
Big synth stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkR38XLkFear5Sf9QypQvA
| Kurzweil Forte | Casio Privia PX 5s | Nord Electro 3 73 | Studiologic Sledge Black| Roland Juno Di | DSI Prophet 6 | Oberheim DPX 1 | EMU Esi 4000 | 2 x Yamaha Tx7 |

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 08:02:25 AM »
My experience with the demo version is that it is buggy freeware at best and documentation and support is minimal or non-existent.  Certainly not worth $70 to me.

I wish there was just a good patch librarian for the P6, don't really need an editor for this unit.

-dj
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 08:04:18 AM by DJKeys »

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 02:02:36 PM »
I have tried the demo version and it had some problems. I couldn't decided whether it was because it was a demo version or what! I have had some success with the Soundtower editor for the Kurzweil Forte, so I'm not totally down on SoundTower's editors - they can and do work. And like you, I think the librarian is the thing that really matters for the P6! Mind you that's still the bit that's missing for the Forte's Multis (multi timbal setups), but I'm pretty sure Kurzweil will sort that out. If anyone has successfully used the P6 Soundtower editor for managing programs and program banks, please let me know. Thanks
| Kurzweil Forte | Casio Privia PX 5s | Nord Electro 3 73 | Studiologic Sledge Black| Roland Juno Di | DSI Prophet 6 | Oberheim DPX 1 | EMU Esi 4000 | 2 x Yamaha Tx7 |

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 02:10:21 PM »
I think it depends on what editor.

I have 3 of them. The Evolver one is good, the Voyager one is a bit buggy and the P12 one is crap!

sofine

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 11:21:53 AM »
I have tried the demo version and it had some problems. I couldn't decided whether it was because it was a demo version or what! I have had some success with the Soundtower editor for the Kurzweil Forte, so I'm not totally down on SoundTower's editors - they can and do work. And like you, I think the librarian is the thing that really matters for the P6! Mind you that's still the bit that's missing for the Forte's Multis (multi timbal setups), but I'm pretty sure Kurzweil will sort that out. If anyone has successfully used the P6 Soundtower editor for managing programs and program banks, please let me know. Thanks

I asked them about this and I was told that the P6 editor demo only shows that you have connected with the P6 successfully - there is no other functionality. Not really a demo if you ask me!

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 04:02:33 AM »
I've been using the SoundTower p6 editor for a few weeks now, it was quite hard to setup (mainly due to me diving in there and not reading the instructions! Lol) but once it is properly configured with the correct Usb drivers and both RX and TX set to the right device, it works very well.
The editor adds a lot to the functionality of the P6. I like the visual representation of the position of the panel knobs, envelopes and controls. Some of these controls aren't quite right and SoundTower haven't kept up with the betas, so there's some blanks in the effects selections. But really this stuff is minor compared to what the editor package adds. You do invariably use both the P6 panel and the editor together when working on sound design, so it's a case of using each interface for what it does best.

The ability to name, catagorise and shuffle presets and manage all banks is a huge addition to the instruments utilities. I haven't experimented yet with the sequencers visual edit tools or the patch morpher but I will and I'll report back.. Good stuff!

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 03:22:38 AM »
I've been using the SoundTower p6 editor for a few weeks now, it was quite hard to setup (mainly due to me diving in there and not reading the instructions! Lol) but once it is properly configured with the correct Usb drivers and both RX and TX set to the right device, it works very well.
The editor adds a lot to the functionality of the P6. I like the visual representation of the position of the panel knobs, envelopes and controls. Some of these controls aren't quite right and SoundTower haven't kept up with the betas, so there's some blanks in the effects selections. But really this stuff is minor compared to what the editor package adds. You do invariably use both the P6 panel and the editor together when working on sound design, so it's a case of using each interface for what it does best.

The ability to name, catagorise and shuffle presets and manage all banks is a huge addition to the instruments utilities. I haven't experimented yet with the sequencers visual edit tools or the patch morpher but I will and I'll report back.. Good stuff!

Did you encounter any of the bugs I mentioned above?

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 09:17:27 PM »
I sent them to Sound Tower, but have not heard a reply yet. Opening this discussion to log the issues we find:
  • The envelop diagrams for amplifier and filter are reversed
  • If you select a preset in BANK/CATEGORY to hear what it sounds like, the category tag of the preset gets reset to "UNASSIGNED"
Pleas add if you encounter other ones.

Update: when you connect via a MIDI DIN cable, the envelop diagram swap issue is gone. The problems with the BANK/CATEGORY selector remain.