Are Osc 1 & Osc 2 Different?

Are Osc 1 & Osc 2 Different?
« on: April 16, 2021, 08:58:56 AM »
Hi, a few weeks in with a wonderful P6 desktop. Does anyone know why exactly the same patch sounds different when you swap the wave shape in Osc 1 & 2. Example - Osc 1 - square wave at 203, Osc 2 - sawtooth at 127. No other modulation. Swap them around - saw in 1 and square in 2, same settings, subtly different sound. I don't mind, I mean it gives more options later but why? Signal path, circuits or some other factor?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 09:07:40 AM by shells »

Re: Are Osc 1 & Osc 2 Different?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 09:22:38 AM »
Hi, a few weeks in with a wonderful P6 desktop. Does anyone know why exactly the same patch sounds different when you swap the wave shape in Osc 1 & 2. Example - Osc 1 - square wave at 203, Osc 2 - sawtooth at 127. No other modulation. Swap them around - saw in 1 and square in 2, same settings, subtly different sound. I don't mind, I mean it gives more options later but why? Signal path, circuits or some other factor?

I noticed that one osc was louder than the other and someone from Sequential confirmed this was intentional. I don't have my P6 near me, so I can't offer anything beyond that, but perhaps that's part of what's affecting the sound?

Re: Are Osc 1 & Osc 2 Different?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 09:37:48 AM »

I noticed that one osc was louder than the other and someone from Sequential confirmed this was intentional. I don't have my P6 near me, so I can't offer anything beyond that, but perhaps that's part of what's affecting the sound?

Many thanks. Maybe that's part of it or perhaps there's something else we don't yet know! ;)

There should be an addendum to the manual - 'things we never told you about the P6'.

I'll do some more testing..