How to make P5R4 play MIDI from Logic?

How to make P5R4 play MIDI from Logic?
« on: April 14, 2021, 11:35:07 PM »
Nooby hello! :P

I’ve just become the proud owner of a Prophet-5 Rev4: my first proper analogue synth! Learning curve is steep but manageable.

My first headscratcher:
How do I send a MIDI part from Logic into the P5 so that I can then record the ‘performance’ through the audio out as normal?

Ordinarily, I’d just play in the part, but I want to incorporate some modulation wheel manoeuvres; and the part itself is a little more complicated than my dexterity allows!   

My interface is an Apollo x6.

I’d love to hear from anyone who’s managed this. Any guidance would be hugely appreciated!

Looking forward to hearing any thoughts.

Re: How to make P5R4 play MIDI from Logic?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 08:25:35 AM »
That's quite easy. Launch Logic, create a new, empty project and add an External MIDI track. Check the box for using the external instrument plug-in, since this makes recording into Logic a bit easier. If you use USB MIDI, use the P5/P10 as destination.
Don't forget to switch of local control on your P5, if you want to use the P5 keyboard as your MIDI input device (aka. master keyboard). It's one of the global parameters.
Now, you're all set. If you need to play parts, that are far too complicated, reduce the tempo in Logic or program them in the piano roll.

Best,

Steffan

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 11:42:14 PM »
Thank you, Steffan.

I’ll give that a go and hopefully will have success! I’ll report back if I have an issues.

Thank you for your time in explaining this to me!

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 09:37:29 PM »
Hi!

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread. P5 Rev 4 newbie here facing MIDI issues in Logic X.

I finally managed to get Logic to record my midi notes input from my P5. However, when playing back the midi track, the P5 does not produce any sound. My midi connection is via USB. Do I need to turn off LOCAL CTRL? Or are there something else that I have missed. Your help is much appreciated!
OB6 and P5 Rev 4