Lcd screen with and the vca env decay info

Lcd screen with and the vca env decay info
« on: May 27, 2016, 04:47:56 PM »
When I   change some parameters of my P08 and play with it , the LCD display screen go back to VCA with Env Decay  screen. is-it possible to avoid this ?  Why it always switch to VCA ENV DECAY screen ?  (sorry for my english)..

Re: Lcd screen with and the vca env decay info
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 04:55:44 PM »
When I   change some parameters of my P08 and play with it , the LCD display screen go back to VCA with Env Decay  screen. is-it possible to avoid this ?  Why it always switch to VCA ENV DECAY screen ?  (sorry for my english)..

That sounds as if something is wrong with the according potentiometer because the shown info in the display only changes towards a particular parameter setting when that is actually changed. So it seems to me that the potentiometer in question may jump between values by itself. Just get in touch with support@davesmithinstruments.com and they'll help you out.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:58:32 PM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 05:00:32 PM »
thanks for the reply

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 05:35:48 PM »
Do any of your other parameters have erratic behavior?  Any digit jumping?

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 06:37:19 PM »
"Do any of your other parameters have erratic behavior?  Any digit jumping?"
=>  the lcd screen switch to the  VCA env decay  (not always, but often)

=> an another thing that  I don't understand........ for example :
- I play  one note  on my keyboard : Program 1 bank 1 wagnerian...I go to the VCA env Decay after I played a note..and the env decay move by itself... (I mean the value of the VCA env decay....not the
potentiometer....it 's not Poltergeist or paranormal activity)!
=> when I turn down the env decay....It stills move a little bit after I stop to turn it...like inertia too....

*I have P08 desktop, with Alesis QX25 midi keyboard

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 06:41:47 PM »

- I play  one note  on my keyboard : Program 1 bank 1 wagnerian...I go to the VCA env Decay after I played a note..and the env decay move by itself... (I mean the value of the VCA env decay....not the
=> when I turn down the env decay....It stills move a little bit after I stop to turn it...like inertia too....

That sounds like it may be a faulty potentiometer.

Some more test options:
Did you double-check the issue in all pot modes (relative, passthru, and jump)? Also: Is your Prophet connected via MIDI and does it do the same if you disconnect the MIDI cables?

In any case: Make sure to get in touch with DSI via the email I posted below. They are the ones who will ultimately help you in sorting this out.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 06:54:48 PM »

Just a bit of history, Alexblueshirt.  Going back about six or seven years now, the earlier DSI synthesizers - including the Prophet '08 - had problems with their endless encoders.  When you turned a parameter, the digits behaved erratically.  They might skip a few digits, or they might make huge skips, or they might hardly move at all.  The problem could afflict just one or two of your parameters, or many.  DSI's first solution was to have each of us open our instruments and clean the parameter housings with Deoxit, but the problem could return in a few weeks or months.   The final solution was to change these endless encoders to potentiometers.  Eventually, all of DSI's synthesizers were built with pots. 

So, the question is, might you have one of these older units?  Regardless, take Paul's advice and contact DSI.  They'll take good care of you.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 06:57:05 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 07:21:12 PM »
Thanks everybody for trying to help me. I m truly humbled by your support. :)
I think you are right....I try with and without midi, jump/relative parameter.....and I have  the same problem with  the Erratic VCA DECAY  potentiometer.... My prophet 08  born in 2014. I 'm not lucky because the store sales to me 18 of april 2014...and my guarentee is off (2 years garentee). :'(

Alex from Paris, France
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 08:21:06 PM by alexblueshirt »

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 07:23:27 PM »
Thanks everybody for trying to help me. I m truly humbled by your support. :)
I think you are right....I try with and without midi, jump/relative parameter.....and I have  the same problem with  the Erratic VCA DECAY  potentiometer.... My prophet 08  born in 2014. I 'm not lucky because the store sales to me 18 mars 2014...and my guarentee is off (2 years garentee). :'(

Alex from Paris, France

Don't worry, Alex. Even beyond the warranty period, DSI offers a great policy for any starving musician. Post-warranty repairs are usually $25.