Purchasing a Prophet Rev2, but the effects.....

maxter

Re: Purchasing a Prophet Rev2, but the effects.....
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2021, 07:39:20 AM »
Thanks! But yeah, the problem is I don't use Mac, unfortunately. It seems so easy on Mac, aggregate devices just seem to "work", whereas on Windows it seems nearly impossible.

I've been thinking about getting a second audio interface as solution, and use optical toslink cables between the one connected to PC, and the one connected to iPad. One as master, the other as slave, of course. It SHOULD work imo, but then again lots of stuff should, that just DON'T, especially when it comes to Windows...  >:(

Investing in this, to see if it works, feels a bit like gambling. Maybe it'll work, maybe not. I just don't have many other alternatives left (except moving to a Mac), as I "need" to use both MIDI and audio bidirectionally between iPad and PC. So I gotta have both connected by USB anyhow, which of course is a great source for ground-loops. I figure if any audio is only connected via optical cables, where there's no ground connection, it could work.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any info about anyone connecting this way online, so I have no idea if it will actually work.
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2021, 07:54:46 PM »
I'm not a "Mac" user, but you can get OSX and install it on any machine that way you dont have to pay for the apple logo.  I use Linux which is a UNIX based enviroment which is better for music making plus they do this while roll and release thingy that keeps you up to date with latest software....   There is a DAW availible called Ardour, but I have never done any of that studio DAW stuff where my comp is integrated with the system...   This is possible, but would require some programming on my part.   So I mainly just do a/d conversion and mixing encoding....  Audacity is simple and good well built program.  I have a firewire Roland 10 in 10 out thing and Ardour was able to use 6 of those 10 at the same time to do 24bit 192khz a/d conversions seperatly at the same time.  That thing was cheap if I ever get a comp with firewire again...

Audacity will let you go beyond hardware limitations of a/d c also...  if your into that and feel like working out the bugs.

This is where being in a UNIX based enviroment is good because you have a smoother work flow and most up to date software.  I used GIMP on Windows is not nearly as good as Linux.  The compressions were lower quality.  Linux 5 is great...  Something about vectorless programming...  dont remember exactly what they started doing in linux 4.20 kernel, but if you know what you are doing you can make a lot of stuff happen very quickly.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 08:56:07 PM by ryankm »
16 voice prophet rev2, chroma polaris, minibrute, bass & guitars

dizzy

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2021, 09:01:40 PM »
Going a little OT here, sorry, but I'm interested in how you setup your iPad with your gear, by a USB soundcard to the iPad? and if you use a PC as well, how do you route everything together? Asking because I'm trying to find the best and most stable solution to use both iPad and PC simultaneously.

Yeah i have a usb audio interface I use with the iPad. Any class compliant one will work, but probably will need its own power supply not power over usb. I use an app called Aum to route audio in iOS, mostly just with fx apps, and recording the dry in and processed signals. Sometimes use it for sequencing but I personally dont enjoy piano roll editing on such a small screen. I have never tried to use it with Windows.

maxter

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2021, 01:50:01 AM »
Thanks! Yeah, I have used my audio interface and setup with iPad from time to time, mostly with AUM also. There are some apps, like the Model15 and some FX apps, that I find very special and inspiring to work with, and I prefer working with softsynths on the iPad compared to PC/mouse, more "tactile", is that the right word?

But then there's VCV rack for PC (well, there's also MiRack for iOS but I find the screen too small), that I'd also like to implement with my setup, and I prefer recording and editing on PC as well, for the same reason, bigger screens and multiple at that.

I guess I'll just have to get a second audio interface and test my "luck" with it.

Linux would probably be better, but then there's compatibility issues with some VSTs, and having to script stuff etc, which I'm not really into, I would probably have to spend more time trying to work those things out than actually creating music. I haven't looked into setting up OSX on a regular PC, but I assume it takes some crafty DIY as well, setting up.

Oh well, I guess there are "no shortcuts to the perfect sound/setup".
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2021, 09:59:23 AM »
I've had a TC Hall of Fame hooked up to my Rev2 the past couple years... it's a great quality, inexpensive stereo pedal that can add a variety of nice sounding reverbs, including a very good shimmer effect.   

I do also have Source Audio Collider, which sounds great and is very versatile... but it does distort with hotter input signals. 

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

dizzy

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2021, 02:51:02 PM »
But then there's VCV rack for PC (well, there's also MiRack for iOS but I find the screen too small), that I'd also like to implement with my setup, and I prefer recording and editing on PC as well, for the same reason, bigger screens and multiple at that.

For sure. I have a wacom tablet which is a nice thing to use with VCV, I played with it a bit before I got some proper euro. Annoyingly it doesnt work with ipads, it wouldve been the perfect answer to the small screen for input.