Purchasing a Prophet Rev2, but the effects.....

Purchasing a Prophet Rev2, but the effects.....
« on: April 11, 2021, 03:59:36 AM »
I've spent months reading reviews, watching YouTube videos and one short visit in the shop (nowhere near long enough due to Covid restrictions) deciding between Rev2 and Prologue. I'm starting from no kit having sold off everything a long time ago... I have final opted for:

Prophet Rev2 16 voice
KorgWaveState
Roland TR-8S

I do still want a Prologue but I don't have the funds for it and I had to decide. I think I'd get bored of the Prologue's lack of sound manipulation but I did like the effects on it.

Other than a Strymon Bigsky, can anyone suggest perhaps a slightly cheaper outboard effects unit for the Rev2? I'm thinking to keep with the internal phaser/flanger/chorus and use an outboard reverb.

Thanks

maxter

Re: Purchasing a Prophet Rev2, but the effects.....
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 05:14:16 AM »
First, I should say that using the internal FX of the Rev2 "sacrifices" a little bit of it's pure analog sound... which may be why some get the impression that the Prophet 08 is slightly "warmer". It's no big deal to me, as the FX add to the Rev2 as sound sculpting tools, so using the FX is to change the sound anyway. And you can always choose to bypass the FX section for any program, when desired.

Since you like the Prologue FX, one possibility could be to get a Korg NTS-1. It seems to be able to load Prologue FX plugs to its "user slots". There are plenty of third party plugs around, some of which are donationware, so you don't have to break the bank, like the ones from this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/user/hammondeggs49
https://hammondeggsmusic.ca/index.html

Here are some reverbs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzF_XYQW8mY

There are of course cons as well. It's quite small for instance. But being able to import user-developed FX into different slots of a multi-FX is a big pro.
The Way the Truth and the Life

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 06:54:15 AM »
Other than a Strymon Bigsky, can anyone suggest perhaps a slightly cheaper outboard effects unit for the Rev2? I'm thinking to keep with the internal phaser/flanger/chorus and use an outboard reverb.

You might look at the Strymon BlueSky or SourceAudio Collider. 

To me, delay is often as important as reverb.  As of right now all my outboard pedals are used by the P10 -- all other synths including Rev2 are using some combination of the synth FX + DAW plug-ins which is the most cost effective and flexible solution.  Using Rev2 as an example, if I want to use the Rev2's chorus, if I plug the Rev2 in a reverb pedal I need to now think about how to add a delay in before it hits the DAW.  So for the Rev2 having both the delay and reverb on the DAW track keeps things simple and reduces cabling.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 08:32:41 AM »
You might consider Empress Effects Reverb and GFI System Specular Tempus, the second being Reverb & Delay.
Regarding synths, unless you’re certain you want a rev2, I would recommend that you have an eye on the Hydrasynth. Yes it is digital but it sounds real good, it is very capable for sound design, and has pretty good effects.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 08:35:39 AM by Tugdual »

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 08:46:27 AM »
I bought a Prologue as my first actual synthesizer (as opposed to workstations).  Once I started getting hooked on real synthesis, the Prologue became instantly limited, so I sold it for the Rev 2.   The Prologue sounded great, but compared to the Rev 2 Mod Matrix it's really lacking IMO.  I think the effects on the Rev2 are serviceable, but I now run two Eventide H9 Maxs.  Not exactly a cheap solution, but it offers a ton of flexibility. 

You can't have enough Big Sky pedals though.  I have one and really want another, maybe two more so I don't have to keep moving it around!  Anything you run through that things sounds good.  I run it primarily on my Subsequent 37 and my modular rack.  For the Sub37 I also run the Strymon TimeLine.  Subsequent 37 + TimeLine + Big Sky = Synthesizer Heaven!  I'm sure the Rev2 would be equally blissful.
Rev2, Pro3, OB-X8, Kronos, Summit, Hydrasynth, Subsequent37, Taurus III, Iridium, Opsix, Eurorack

jok3r

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 10:32:22 AM »
I don't want to repeat myself over and over again, but... Rev2 + Strymon Mobius + Timeline + BigSky is a dream! Not cheap, but worth it.

That's not me in the video, but this guy plays exactly this setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9b5lMUJV5A
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

maxter

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 12:08:33 PM »
I don't want to repeat myself over and over again, but... Rev2 + Strymon Mobius + Timeline + BigSky is a dream! Not cheap, but worth it.

Yeah, I think nearly all of us would have got those already, if money wasn't an issue... but as the OP put it "Other than a Strymon Bigsky, can anyone suggest perhaps a slightly cheaper outboard effects unit for the Rev2?" I'm guessing those 3 ain't happening anytime soon... But thanks for feeding our GAS!  ;D

jok3r

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 01:21:24 PM »

Yeah, I think nearly all of us would have got those already, if money wasn't an issue... but as the OP put it "Other than a Strymon Bigsky, can anyone suggest perhaps a slightly cheaper outboard effects unit for the Rev2?" I'm guessing those 3 ain't happening anytime soon... But thanks for feeding our GAS!  ;D

Oh sorry. I didn't remember the initial post. I just answered after reading the "unread" posts of this thread and the post before mine triggered me.

So the only thing I can add then is: I saved up a long time for buying them one after the other. Didn't regret it.

Sometimes the question is how fast you need to satisfy your GAS. I'm quite masochistic in this regard and try to save up for the things I really want to have instead of buying cheaper alternatives that would satisfy me just until my next visit at Thomann's. But I can perfectly understand if that is not an option.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

maxter

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 02:45:43 PM »
No sweat! It wasn't meant too seriously, more like with glimpse in the eye... not poking the eye  ;D

I agree fully though. I don't have many pieces of gear myself (honestly ::) ) but even if I had million$ my setup wouldn't look much different anyhow. A pedal or two perhaps, and probably the Hydra. Nothing I won't be able to afford eventually. Just as I'd never buy a fancy expensive car either, as it's merely a means for transportation, and nothing more to me (no matter what)... So not a severe case of GAS here, and I'm definitely not a "synth-purist" either... just don't need a lot of gear. I want as few pieces as possible to do as much as possible, sort of. Though I must admit to knowingly buying both the Behringr Model D and 2600 GM not because I "need" them, but wanted to experience them (for more than 20 years), and considering their prices they were hard to resist. So some GAS. But I've resisted the Strymon-urge for quite some time now (it feels like forever at least)  ;D

jok3r

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 03:03:58 AM »
No sweat! It wasn't meant too seriously, more like with glimpse in the eye... not poking the eye  ;D

I agree fully though. I don't have many pieces of gear myself (honestly ::) ) but even if I had million$ my setup wouldn't look much different anyhow. A pedal or two perhaps, and probably the Hydra. Nothing I won't be able to afford eventually. Just as I'd never buy a fancy expensive car either, as it's merely a means for transportation, and nothing more to me (no matter what)... So not a severe case of GAS here, and I'm definitely not a "synth-purist" either... just don't need a lot of gear. I want as few pieces as possible to do as much as possible, sort of. Though I must admit to knowingly buying both the Behringr Model D and 2600 GM not because I "need" them, but wanted to experience them (for more than 20 years), and considering their prices they were hard to resist. So some GAS. But I've resisted the Strymon-urge for quite some time now (it feels like forever at least)  ;D

Oh no sweat here. ;-) I was really sorry, because my post was senseless given the OPs criterion.

Reading the gear lists of others, I would not consider me having a lot of gear, too. Some of my instruments are quite expensive, yes, but what you can see in my gear list are my achievements over the past 15 years or so. I started with my S90ES for which I worked in a local factory the whole summer holidays as a schoolboy. I saved up for my Kurzweil and Kronos (the most expensive piece) during my time as student at the university with very little income. And that was perfectly possible, because I had no other responsibilities by then. Now I earn a lot more money, but with wife and house and and and... saving up for instruments is more difficult than ever, but I still think it is worth it. I have enough gear to play every type of music with and can control my GAS this way (even if I talk about buying this and that here and there ;-) )... until I have finally saved up for a Prophet 10 or the like. Not because I "need" it, but I think it will give my setup really something special, instead of having a lot of "cheap toys". You called it "experience them"... I don't know if that matches perfectly my intention of it, but I think I know what you mean. I hope it will give me a certain connection to the instrument...

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 11:10:17 AM »
I have a Source Audio Ventris reverb which I find very satisfying.
I've not tried the Source Audio Collider suggested above (which includes algorithms from both the Ventris reverb and Nemesis delay), but the format is very similar (although the Ventris has two reverb DSPs for dual reverb in parallel or series, whereas the Collider has one DSP for reverb and one for delay), and I only didn't go for the Collider because I already felt as though I had delays covered (since I have a Jomox T-Resonator II and DSI Evolver). The Source Audio algorithms are very flexible and high quality, but are probably less "glamorous" than the Strymon ones; I wanted the transparency because I feel like I want to keep the character of the synths in the fore, and I felt like videos where Strymon effects were used always had that sound.
I'd certainly recommend the Ventris, and the Collider is part Ventris and part Nemesis in one box, even if it has a reduced selection of the algorithms from the dedicated reverb/delay units. They work well without computer/phone, but the apps provide access to much deeper control of parameters and setup if you want it. The Rev2's integrated delays also make it seem as though some of the delay bases are already covered, even if I find its reverb a bit "meh" (useful but not v. inspiring).

Lots of other suggestions (Zoia, OTO), but I don't want to lead you astray (or up in price) when I think you've already narrowed it down to some fine options.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 11:22:47 AM by PChamaeleoMH »
SYNTHS: VirusTi, Evolver, Subsequent37, ProphetRev2, Medusa, Typhon, DigitoneKeys, Lyra8, Pulsar23
EFFECTS: Ventris, ZOIA, TResonatorII, Thyme, Particle2, BOUM, BIM, Polymoon, RetroverbLancet
OTHERS: FirefaceUCX, WavedrumGlobal, MPC_ONE, Digitakt, Noodlebox, NDLR, 1010Bluebox, Genelec8020A/7040A

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 11:13:56 AM »
If you're looking for something inexpensive ($130), the Zoom MS-70CDR MultiStomp Chorus/Delay/Reverb Pedal seems like a good choice. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS70CDR--zoom-ms-70cdr-multistomp-chorus-delay-reverb-pedal
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 11:31:01 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 01:26:58 PM »
My advice is dont bother with the effects unless you have something really specific you need to do with it...  Most people put to much digital reverb in their songs and it sounds like garbage.  you can here the bits and quantize away as the reverb fades.   16 voices is more than enough to fill up space.   I say use them!  That is what you are paying for.  You'll get farther if you do that.  If you really need something nice and care a lot you can save up for analog effects...   I have bbd delay from the 80's that is super warm....  it dose delay virbrato, chorus and flange...  i got it for 250!  It is a little bit of work to maintain though.   There are other units like it that have more modern features.     If you are really serious you can get a tape delay.  I had one that could do 30 second loops and had 5 different play back heads and a spring reverb tank for nice hall reverb swells.   That unit made any digital effects loop unit sound like trash.  Another trick i kike to do is find a small space and get an amplifier and fill it up with sound and saturate a mic.   That works great.

also another reason why digital effects are trash is because the resolution on them is weeny...  You can record your stuf digtaly using free software into a high resolution audacity software.  They have a whole suite of effects you can add all over to specific little parts of what ever your doing...  Korg Prolouge is no match for a desktop computer. 

i use to go and add a 96khz fractional delay to different areas of a mix.  it was really smooth.

It is a scientific fact, but higher resolutions have more bits to quantize and it all gets compressed on the fly and pushes through lines into analog.  It sounds nice.  And when you add digital effects in at the high resolutions it all gets pre processed so these other weeny digital effects units just dont have the HP and end up sounding like garbage.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 02:20:16 PM by ryankm »
16 voice prophet rev2, chroma polaris, minibrute, bass & guitars

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 05:12:28 PM »

I want to show you this.  Itnis from China and cost me 5 dollars and another 5 to ship.   It is a 12au7 tube overdrive.  Works wonders.   Itnis a lot softer than a 12ax7 or 6n2/3 one, but I have it too.  It is great for boost a signal and adding a little bit of grit more than any digital alogrithm can do.

works on synthesizers too..   ive been using aux sends on a mixer, but you could also get 2.

that is g2...   i see there is g3 now and some other guitar stuff too that is cheap.  there isnt much out there in the way of stereo out there.   ive got an old set of leslie 60's with burnt transistor in amplifier that is not being made...   but there is a belt driven electric motor that takes a single mono signal and pans between left and right.   im going to implement it into an effect someday.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 05:52:51 PM by ryankm »
16 voice prophet rev2, chroma polaris, minibrute, bass & guitars

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2021, 07:55:05 AM »
I bought a Prologue as my first actual synthesizer (as opposed to workstations).  Once I started getting hooked on real synthesis, the Prologue became instantly limited, so I sold it for the Rev 2.   The Prologue sounded great, but compared to the Rev 2 Mod Matrix it's really lacking IMO. 

I seem to be reading that to wake up the DCOs, you use the sequencer with an interesting technique (I forget the name). The point is that you're using your mod matrix / sequencer / LFO(s) to get you back to the VCO sound - which Prologue has in the first place. TBH I'm not sure I'd be modulating lots of things to require a matrix. My ole Juno only had ne LFO. Do you miss the sound of the Prologue and its filter?

MPM

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2021, 01:54:50 AM »
+1 for the Ventris by Source Audio
Threw my Bigsky away after getting the Ventris. Bigsky sucked the life out of the dry path. Ventris doesn't.
I also have the OTO Machines BAM. Not as versatile as the dual DSP Ventris, but it is very 70's sounding and adds some character to the Rev.2 dry thru.
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

LPF83

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2021, 04:39:19 AM »
+1 for the Ventris by Source Audio
Threw my Bigsky away after getting the Ventris. Bigsky sucked the life out of the dry path. Ventris doesn't.
I also have the OTO Machines BAM. Not as versatile as the dual DSP Ventris, but it is very 70's sounding and adds some character to the Rev.2 dry thru.

A lot of the factory presets on the BigSky sound great but they can color the signal too much at times.  What I've found works well in most situations is to use some of the more basic algorithms (room, plate etc.) in sparing amounts.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

dizzy

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2021, 06:21:09 PM »
If you have an ipad you can get some very nice effects for very cheap. I have eventide blackhole which cost about $10, and the audio damage plugins are on ios for very cheap too.

maxter

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2021, 07:13:17 AM »
If you have an ipad you can get some very nice effects for very cheap. I have eventide blackhole which cost about $10, and the audio damage plugins are on ios for very cheap too.

Going a little OT here, sorry, but I'm interested in how you setup your iPad with your gear, by a USB soundcard to the iPad? and if you use a PC as well, how do you route everything together? Asking because I'm trying to find the best and most stable solution to use both iPad and PC simultaneously.

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2021, 07:23:25 AM »

Going a little OT here, sorry, but I'm interested in how you setup your iPad with your gear, by a USB soundcard to the iPad? and if you use a PC as well, how do you route everything together? Asking because I'm trying to find the best and most stable solution to use both iPad and PC simultaneously.

This works ok on my mac: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/audiotoolbox/enabling_usb_audio_and_midi_for_ios
Not sure if something like this available for pc though.