The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

Prophet~6 Distortion vs OB~6 Distortion

MPM

Prophet~6 Distortion vs OB~6 Distortion
« on: April 07, 2021, 04:19:51 PM »
Reposting from OB~6 board
I've noticed a difference between the way my OB~6 and Prophet~6 Distortion effect sounds. When applying distortion to an initial patch on each synth (with a simple filter env for musicality) I find that the Prophet~6 distortion sounds lifeless compared to the OB~6 distortion, which sounds like it's following the notes and much more musical.
My question is, are the OB~6 and Prophet~6 distortion circuits identical in both synths? In which case I assume something is wrong with my Prophet~6 distortion. Anyone with both hearing the same thing?
Or are they just wired in differently?
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

the8bitdeity

• Ham handed synth enthusiast
Re: Prophet~6 Distortion vs OB~6 Distortion
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 05:02:44 PM »
naively I would say that the oscillator shapes are different when compared, so it's not surprising than applying distortion to them would be a different timbre. Not sure about A : B direct comparison but I'd be surprised if it was different. Maybe they have different gain staging?
P12R, uWXT, Kijimi, Xerxes, OB6D, P6D, Hydrasynth, System 8, Pro 3, Wavestate, Peak, MS20D, A4mk2, ARmk2, MC202, Avalon, Model:Cycles, Octatrack, NLDR, H9000, Digitone, Deckard's Dream mk2, Roland System 500 + other Eurorack