B Outputs

Sacred Synthesis

B Outputs
« on: May 26, 2016, 11:40:17 AM »
I realize there are other ways of creating stereo on the Prophet 12, but I've never seen a discussion about this nor heard a demonstration of it.  Has anybody on the forum spent some time using the Prophet 12's B Outputs to create a stereo patch?  I'd love to hear a demonstration of stereo six-voice pads created on this instrument.

Re: B Outputs
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 02:22:26 PM »
I don't use the B outputs for this but I do hard pan identical A/B layers to left and right to get a wide stereo image sometimes. You can use the B outputs for this, just make the layers identical and hard pan the A/B outputs on a external mixer, but why do that when you can do it internally? :)

There was a thread in the old forum,I think it was called Tips & Tricks, in which this and other neat things where discussed.
Prophet 12

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 02:41:39 PM »
Thanks.  Do you have or know of any recordings of this?

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 03:33:40 PM »
I just uploaded a small demo! :)

https://soundcloud.com/denstorabilen/prophet-12-stereo-demo-1

Sound 1: Stabby stereo pad.
Sound 2:  Stabby stereo chord sequence.
Sound 3: Slow pad widening into stereo over time.

Prophet 12 only, no external effects.

Let me know if there are any other type of sounds you are interested in hearing. Going to bed now but there is a brand new day tomorrow for me to make demos on! :D
Prophet 12

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 03:42:07 PM »
HESpook, you're a Godsend to make that offer.  When you get a chance, I'd love to hear sustained strings or pads in stereo, so as to get a good sense of the P12's potential here.  Thank you very much.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:55:49 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 01:10:14 AM »
Just in case you missed my posts - I use stereo A and B to make pseudo quadraphonic (4 channel) sound. Depending on how I program an individual voice in the mod matrix I have to option of sending parts of the sound to AL, AR, BL or BR. In practise i go for a more swirly approach. Sadly there is not a common quad format for recording. Here is a stereo mix of two quad performances from separate churches played together (it is a bit long) https://soundcloud.com/andy-15-3/01-mary-to-aelhaern.
 If I had the same programme in A and B and one of the speakers above my head I could use the two sliders (or other controller combinations) to move anywhere in 3D space but I am more interested in the music than pushing the limits of technology.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 06:07:23 PM »

Hi Chaparral!

I remember reading your about your quadraphonic adventures when looking at buying the Prophet 12! It only made my GAS much worse. :)

https://soundcloud.com/denstorabilen/prophet-12-stereo-demo-2

A new stereo demo has been uploaded. All clips except the last one is completely dry, just Prophet 12. The last one has a healthy amount of plate reverb added to it.
Prophet 12

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 06:42:01 PM »
Thanks, HESpook.  The string patches were by far the best I've yet heard on a Prophet 12 - no nasty grittiness, but smooth and rich.  And the stereo sounds excellent.   

No more homework for you, now.  You've done me a favor.  Thanks, again.

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 07:17:19 AM »
No problem and I'm glad you liked it!

I thought I'd better mention that you can get a quite good stereo image by just using the internal panned delays as a chorus or short delay effect. Hard panning the delays left and right and setting the delay times to slightly different but similar values yields a nice stereo effect. This is what I normally use as it gives you a very similar effect but without the cost of polyphony/bitimbrality. It works very well on pads and strings in particular.

The old forum was down last night when I tried to find the sound design tricks thread but today I had better luck. I you haven't seen it before it's a good read. :)

http://dsiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5945
Prophet 12

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 01:06:53 PM »
Thanks again!